The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

I agree that I was shocked that the vet seemed quite unconcerned... the vet school is a good two hours away from the OP and, as she said, if she is close to foaling. We do not seem to have many equine clinics where we can take our horses to. Generally, vets come to the barns, not the other way around. So, apart from the vet school, I don't think the OP has many options. And if the vet school cannot see her before Monday esp. because from conversation with the local vet, they think it is twins.
    I am still jingling for your mare!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone!! I just got back from checking on her, she is quite quiet tonight and seems to be more like herself (not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing at this point). She will be checked a few more times tonight so we shall see. I found a vet clinic that can take her, it is just over 2 hours away from me, and depending on her night tonight (and if I can get a ride for her tomorrow) I am about 95% sure I am going to send her. They have everything needed to do any further tests if needed and the knowledge should something go wrong in the process. She is my number one concern, so much so I am trying to liquidate one of my horses to help with all the expenses so far (and what is projected in the future). Fingers crossed for NO delivery tonight!

Thanks for taking the time to update. You must be exhausted! I am so so sorry you are going through this. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you have an uneventful night.

I hope you can take her tomorrow. You would feel better having her watched closely. I am curious as to which vet clinic would do that your direction. Here, Guelph or Milton would be closest to me. There was another one very close but the vet unfortunately died a few years ago.

How is she doing this morning?
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

U of G would never turn away a mare in such dire straits. It's a 90 minute drive and certainly one I've taken many, many times. Jingles and positive thoughts for your mare.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

FWIW. I had a mare some years ago that acted as if she was going into labor at around the same gestation point as this mare. This happened on and off over a two-day period. Suddenly, she was fine and acted completely normally. She did not abort, and went on to deliver a very healthy colt at full term...so jingling that this is the case.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sending more jingles...

Think of you and your mare today, and wishing you both a quite peaceful night. Jingles and prayers for you and your mare. Sorry things are not going smoothly for her
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

I'm coming into this conversation kind of late. I am so sorry to the owner of the mare and hope that everything goes well. This is a very sad and scary situation. I do have some questions. If they were already covered in previous posts, I apologize.

Did she have a thorough exam recently? What did her cervix look like? Is it opening?

Has a transabdominal ultrasound been done? If so, what did her placenta look like? Is the foal alive?

Has placentitis been considered? Has she been given any drugs: regumate, antibiotics or Banamine? When we have a mare bag up in the middle of her pregnancy, we begin intense therapy at the same time as attempting to get a diagnosis.

How was it determined that abortion is a foregone conclusion?

My last comment is GET THE MARE TO THE VET CLINIC. I don't agree with the vet who saw her and decided she could be managed at home. Get a good therio vet to do a full exam and find out exactly what is going on.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

Good luck with your mare. I am jingling for you!

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    FWIW. I had a mare some years ago that acted as if she was going into labor at around the same gestation point as this mare. This happened on and off over a two-day period. Suddenly, she was fine and acted completely normally. She did not abort, and went on to deliver a very healthy colt at full term...so jingling that this is the case.

I had a client's mare do the same type of thing at around 5 months gestation
    ...as I paid closer attention, she started acting funny every time the foal got really active...she was a maiden mare, so perhaps the sensation of the foal "romping" around in there was making her uncomfortable...she even went so far as to "throw" herself on the ground! Scared me to death...she foaled a healthy colt, full term.

I hope your mare and the foal come out of this situation with no problems!

Default Jingles

Prayers and jingles. Any update?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

With no news from yesterday I'm hoping OP was able to get the mare to the vet clinic and that there haven't been any problems. Jingling over my coffee!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

JinlesJinglesJingles!!!!!!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Sorry for the delay in the update!! I am bringing her to Guelph this afternoon. I have made plans to get her into a vet clinic to be under 24/7 watch. I will let you know what we find!

I have been following this thread daily. I am so glad that she has hung on long enough for you to get her some help. Sincere hopes and jingles that she is ok. And hugs for you hanging in there with her over the holiday break.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

like others, we've been following this thread... just letting you know that you and your mare are in our prayers…

Monday jingles...

Thinking of you and hoping Guelph gives you some answers... and hoping the news is not as bad as you think.
    Jingling loud and clear. At least, the weather is not bad for trailering!