The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

I am so very sorry you had to go through this. Thank goodness your mare is all right.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

So glad your mare is going to be ok, you did the right thing. The hard thing.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm glad yous still have your mare but regret terribly that she lost her filly in the process.

Raising my face to God and asking..."Why are the scubs so fertile compared to quality?" He didn't answer.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I'm so sorry about the filly. Glad that your girl will be fine now!!!!!

I've probably missed it, but how far along was she?
    Art De TriumphCaballineRebel
    I don't fall... I dismount... with style.

I am so relieved that your mare is okay. There are at least four beautiful fillies that met yours with whinnies and treats today. May your broken heart mend, this is such a tough game

2 members found this post helpful.

What a relief that your mare is doing well.
    Godspeed little filly

Thanks everyone!! I am so happy my mare is ok!! Still sad about loosing the foal, but I would have been more upset to loose her too!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha App View Post
    I've probably missed it, but how far along was she?
    She was 231 days along...

I'm so sorry for your loss, EE, but happy that your good mare is ok and coming home.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

So sorry about the filly, but I'm thrilled to hear your mare is doing well!
    At least you know you made the right decision. {hugs!}
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

I'm so glad your mare is okay, but so sorry you had to lose the foal.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

So terribly sorry for your loss, though the silver lining is the mare is doing so well. Sending hugs!!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

I am glad your mare will live to have more foals, but am sorry you had to make this horrible choice. I think you did the best thing, absolutely.

So sorry about the filly. But so very happy your mare is ok. Is there any possibility of using her as a nurse mare if someone needed one, or do the meds she was given or her temperment rule that out? Just thought if she had a baby to raise, she might feel better.

That is a nice idea but there aren't many foals that need a dam in early December. I was wondering if they figured out why this happened and if it is likely to happen again. Any idea?

I hope your mare came home today and that you will heal together. I am sure she is happy to be home with her friends.

I did offer her as a nurse mare but there are not really any foals this time of year (especially up here). In the future she would be a perfect one that is for aure. She will be very heartbroken not to have a foal of her own anymore.

Guelph said it could have happened in a previous pregnancy about 3-4 weeks prior to foaling...it would have been some sort of slip maybe? They weren't too sure...it just happened to show up/affected her this time...that is why they said I shouldn't breed her (to carry, just ET) anymore because it may or may not be a problem, and why have to go through this process again.

I am going to pick her up tonight, the vet wanted to flush her one more time and my driver was sick so it kind of worked out last night. I cannot wait to get her home!!

I am so happy for you that you were able to get her through such a heartbreaking situation. Huge condolences on the loss of your filly and continued jingles for a speedy recovery for your mare.

Thanks for sharing your journey. I'm sure one of us will put the knowledge to good use.

The two blessings are that she is okay and the foaling was textbook. It's always going to be the fancy, remarkably marked ones we lose, isn't it? But momma is okay...

You're a good one, EE. It's too bad more owners and breeders can't be like you.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Is she home and happy?
    Are you sleeping now?
    Again, you did the right thing. And as much as I know horses are very intelligent creatures, I do not believe she knows she won't have any babies any more.

Thanks guys!

FalseImpression: Yes, she is home and happy to be home! She still doesn't have the glow usually in her eyes (she is still a touch sore) but there is a bit of a glimmer tonight which was VERY nice to see!! I have slept the BEST I have in weeks the last 2 nights that is for sure!!

I measured her belly where it was the biggest (just before bringing her to the clinic) and compared to now and there was about 5-6” difference!! (Just so you know I did cut marks in her hair on her belly along the 3 measuring points to ensure the same measurements every time.)

2 members found this post helpful.