EEF - or anyone who can provide general answers - just call me curious, as I'm not a breeder. Are the shots designed to start labor? Sounds like there are more than one...When she looks like things are starting to go into action, will you have help there? Is a vet on call? I'm presuming that the foal still needs to be in a proper position - how does one know that?
EEF - Hoping all goes well for you - its been a rough road, and deserves a decent ending. Will be thinking of you.
We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........
I am giving her estrumate twice a day (today and tomorrow) then first thing Monday morning. From what I was explained...I am then bringing her to the vet clinic (first thing Monday morning) where they will have to manually dialate her (it is a simillar process to people). If they are not able to get the foal out (depending on position/size) they might have to cut the foal out...they said it could take up to 2-3 days after "delivery" for the plasenta/membranes to come out...so she will be there for a few days anyway...I am REALLY hoping it is going to be uneventful and "text book"
She is not feeling too perfect today...I am pretty sure the shot has something to do with it...even a few hours after...all her measurements are the same...she is not eating as much as she usually does...Monday cannot come fast enough!
I am more spiritual than devoutly religious and all I can think and feel to say is God Bless You and God stay with you and your mare thru all of this. And bless everyone here on CoTH who know what you are going thru and I hope that you find comfort in all of their thoughts and prayers for you. Thank you for your courage in posting this saga. We are all hanging in there with you.
Some day I'm going to tell my grandkids that I am older than the internet and blow their minds.
I cannot imagine what you are going through but know that I think of you often and hope (keeping everything possible crossed) that everything goes as well as possible. It is sad but let's think positive. Hoping the clinic is not too far (not Guelph, correct but about the same distance you said)... and that you get her there on time and know she will be in good hands.
We will all be with you in the next few days!
When I aborted my mare who was trying to lose twins of equal size at about 7-8 months, she was in the clinic and they did the series of shots. If I am recalling correctly, they used cloprostenol and she aborted after about 3 days. The worry was that she would retain the placentas, but both passed as in a normal birth.
I am sending every good thought that I have your way. It will be very good that she will be in clinic for the last part. I never saw the two little ones and was glad that I did not have that picture in my mind. My whole concern was with my mare and making the decision was hard enough. Sending jingles and hugs.
Laurie, I was puzzled but the thumbs down do not bother me... I keep thinking of EEF and wishing her the best in the difficult situation she is facing. I will breathe a sigh of relief when Sunrise will arrive at the clinic... I imagine her sigh will be greater!
I wish you and your mare well. There was no way to know what the right decision was until it either went good or bad. Nobody has a crystal ball and given the circumstances the only way to know your mare has a 100% chance is to end the pregnancy. I'm sorry you're having to face this. It's not fair.