The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

sending jingles and hugs. you are doing the right thing so stay strong.

EEF - or anyone who can provide general answers - just call me curious, as I'm not a breeder. Are the shots designed to start labor? Sounds like there are more than one...When she looks like things are starting to go into action, will you have help there? Is a vet on call? I'm presuming that the foal still needs to be in a proper position - how does one know that?

EEF - Hoping all goes well for you - its been a rough road, and deserves a decent ending. Will be thinking of you.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I am giving her estrumate twice a day (today and tomorrow) then first thing Monday morning. From what I was explained...I am then bringing her to the vet clinic (first thing Monday morning) where they will have to manually dialate her (it is a simillar process to people). If they are not able to get the foal out (depending on position/size) they might have to cut the foal out...they said it could take up to 2-3 days after "delivery" for the plasenta/membranes to come out...so she will be there for a few days anyway...I am REALLY hoping it is going to be uneventful and "text book"

She is not feeling too perfect today...I am pretty sure the shot has something to do with it...even a few hours after...all her measurements are the same...she is not eating as much as she usually does...Monday cannot come fast enough!

Thanks again everyone!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I am more spiritual than devoutly religious and all I can think and feel to say is God Bless You and God stay with you and your mare thru all of this. And bless everyone here on CoTH who know what you are going thru and I hope that you find comfort in all of their thoughts and prayers for you. Thank you for your courage in posting this saga. We are all hanging in there with you.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

2 members found this post helpful.

I hold you and your beloved mare in my thoughts, and hope time passes swiftly over the next few days with the best possible outcome. I cannot imagine how stressful this must be for you.

I cannot imagine what you are going through but know that I think of you often and hope (keeping everything possible crossed) that everything goes as well as possible. It is sad but let's think positive. Hoping the clinic is not too far (not Guelph, correct but about the same distance you said)... and that you get her there on time and know she will be in good hands.
    We will all be with you in the next few days!

4 members found this post helpful.

FI, I can't imagine what sort of sick person gave your lovely post a thumbs down but I echo your sentiments.

6 members found this post helpful.

When I aborted my mare who was trying to lose twins of equal size at about 7-8 months, she was in the clinic and they did the series of shots. If I am recalling correctly, they used cloprostenol and she aborted after about 3 days. The worry was that she would retain the placentas, but both passed as in a normal birth.

I am sending every good thought that I have your way. It will be very good that she will be in clinic for the last part. I never saw the two little ones and was glad that I did not have that picture in my mind. My whole concern was with my mare and making the decision was hard enough. Sending jingles and hugs.

Laurie, I was puzzled but the thumbs down do not bother me... I keep thinking of EEF and wishing her the best in the difficult situation she is facing. I will breathe a sigh of relief when Sunrise will arrive at the clinic... I imagine her sigh will be greater!

Sending tons of jingles that Kali comes through okay and that you too.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    If I am recalling correctly, they used cloprostenol and she aborted after about 3 days. The worry was that she would retain the placentas, but both passed as in a normal birth.
    Just so people know, Estrumate is the brand name of cloprostenol. Best of luck to you and your mare. Not an easy decision to make .
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

2 members found this post helpful.

Sending hugs and prayers that all goes well, and your mare recovers quickly.

FWIW, I think you made the best decision. You would never have forgiven yourself if something went wrong and you lost the mare when it could have been avoided.

3 members found this post helpful.

Good luck from me as well. This is not a decision I could have made and I applaud you for your courage. Hopefully, this will all soon be behind you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult. Hugs.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I'm still sending jingles, as well. This has got to be gut wrenching for you, but you are such a wonderful owner to take of your girl. Best of luck, and tons of hugs to you!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Sending Sunday jingles...

Hugs and jingles

I'll be thinking about you and your mare tomorrow. I hope it all goes smoothly and isn't too traumatic, physically and emotionally, for your mare.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

I wish you and your mare well. There was no way to know what the right decision was until it either went good or bad. Nobody has a crystal ball and given the circumstances the only way to know your mare has a 100% chance is to end the pregnancy. I'm sorry you're having to face this. It's not fair.