The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

I wish you and your mare the best. I realize how difficult this is and I hope her measurements do not change. I assume you will be in contact with Guelph directly now? Good luck to both of you. Keep us posted!

I absolutely believe that you want what is best for your mare. I wish you both the best!

1 members found this post helpful.

What Laurierace said. Good luck! Continued jingles for you both. I sure appreciate you sharing this with us.

Sending all the best jingles to you and your mare. You know your mare better than anybody, she will tell you what to do....
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

EEF - Glad to hear that your mare is home, and that you have a plan. I give you tons of credit for tackling this whole situation without (apparent) hysteria, which is way more than I could do. And by the way it is clear that you care about the mare!
    Keep us posted, and would love to see a picture of her in her band. In the meantime, jingling for uneventful days- and nights.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm sending you all great wishes. I couldn't afford the ongoing care either and applaud you your decision. Please keep us informed.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Have you considered marestare or similar service so you can monitor her online? You wouldn't have to make it a public link so the know it all's who have never laid a hand on a living horse would be able to chime in. You could give the link to people you know and trust or just keep it for yourself. I monitored my mare from my home and from my droid while I was at work or in the car. My Mom lives in California so she was able to take the 9-midnight shift which was midnight to 3am where I live. It was very nice. We didn't have to watch my mare anywhere near as long as you hopefully will have to.

4 members found this post helpful.

Sending mega jingles and hoping for the best possible outcome.

It is very clear you're doing what's best and love your mare! There is no doubt she is receiving the best of care. No matter what, it will all work out for the best...it just may not be the "best" we all expect when we breed them and dream of that correct, talented, beautiful foal. You are GREAT owner!

I have to second Laurie's suggestion of using Marestare (or similar...whatever CCTV service that's best for you). I also have to agree with not making the link public so you don't have to deal with the crazies (and I mean seriously CRAZY people!). That way you can watch, family can watch, you won't have to camp in the barn, and the eyes of your choosing will be on her 24/7. If that's a possibility, of course.

Hang in there. The jingles will not stop, and neither will our support for you!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Speaking of crazies, I had someone email me asking me to at least take the dead foal out of the stall so "we" didn't have to look at it anymore then proceed to tell me how race horse people make her sick because we don't care how much the mare suffered as it was all about the money etc. The live foal was very much still in the mare...

I agree with MS... and the crazies. I remember Laurie's mare and foal. It is still the foaling I remember the best, from the depth of despair to the highs... and can't thank Laurie enough to have shared this with us.
    But she is right.. it is a great tool and you can share with people you trust and even your vet(s).
    We all realize Sunrise is NOT "just" a broodmare but a very much loved mare. This is what makes it so much harder.
    Wishing you and Sunrise (and the foal) the very best.

Crossing fingers for a successful pregnancy to a safe delivery!! When is her due date?? We can all do a "countdown"!! Best of luck to you and your mare...FWIW...you made the discission I would have made.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

just finished catching up here, and wanted to send ((LOTS OF HUGS))) and tons of jingles!!

the hernia band looks like it might really offer her some support, and I would also recommend marestare, I know there's lots of experienced eyes who would be able to watch and possibly offer you just a little peace of mind.

as Laurie pointed out, tho, be prepared for the crazies, some of the comments they post on the boards will leave you shaking your head.

good luck, continued prayers and jingles!

Thank you everyone for all your wonderful suggestions!! I thought about all of those as an option...but after reading and re-reading the vet report multiple times I have decided to terminate the pregnancy. I really really don't want to have anything to happen to my mare...if money was no object I would keep her in Guelph for the duration of the pregnancy where she could be watched 24/7 but... the problem is she is "just" 226ish days and there is too much time to go in order to have a (hopefully) viable foal...I do not like the idea of terminating a living being as I think everything should have the right to live, but I just cannot imagine risking my mares life. She is happy as a clam inside and not too worried about anything at this point. The problem is it requires at least 2 people to put her belly band on, and then I worry if it comes loose on her and no longer supporting her between visits then what? I couldn't live with myself if something preventable took her life...now I just hope that she will be ok, and come out if it ok. I am still sick by my decision, but…

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, now that you have made your decision I will say that you did exactly what I would have done. I am so sorry you had to make this horrible decision. Godspeed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hugs.

So sorry you had to make this choice. Hugs.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

hugs hugs and more hugs. Sometimes a life for a life - sounds awful and contrite now that I read it but darn'it - it happens - may your mare do well! Something wasn't right
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Hugs, I "think" I would do the same thing. My reasoning would be what if it all went to hell while I was there and I had a suffering mare on my hands that was in agony while I waited for the vet or worse she suffered for awhile before anyone found her. I am so sorry you have to make such a tough decision.

I'm so, so sorry you have had to make this decision. Your mare is fortunate to have you looking out for her. Hoping all goes well and you both can put this terrible ordeal behind you.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com