The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peskee View Post
    http://www.cmequineproducts.com/id23.html
    I have had great success with this......had a mare with a post op hernia, several post op openings in the suture line after a colic surgery. The mare wore this almost her entire pregnancy. She delivered a healthy happy full term foal. A little different from your circumstances but it worked.....good luck with your decision that only you can make.
    "That" looks like a possibility!!! Best of luck to you in making a VERY hard decision.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I can't even imagine being faced with such a tough decision. Just want you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you tonite. {{hugs}}

The one time I had undiagnosed twins, when the mare looked like she was going to abort at about 8 months, I had her aborted in a clinical facility and she went on to have many more healthy foals afterwards. My concern was with my mare. I never regretted the decision, no matter how sad it was to lose two beautiful twin foals.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jingles and comfort as you make such a tough decision

Oh my gosh, my heart really goes out to you. A very tough and personal decision.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

What a dreadful choice -- I am so sorry for your many issues with this mare's pregnancy. Wishing you and her the best of results.
    PennyG

I would abort the foal and save the mare.

I wouldn't risk my mare for an unborn foal who might be full of issues or die during birth. Until that foal is out, alive, nursing and well... It's not a healthy foal in my book. Too much can still go wrong! Even more so with an risky pregnancy.

I agree with everything rodawn said as well. If all goes wrong, not only you run the risk of losing them both, but it will be harder for your mare to recuperate and be safely bred again. IMO.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Super tough decision. I have great faith in Guelph and if you can have her stay the rest of her pregnancy, that's the route I'd take. Just my 2 cents and good for you for being such a good horseperson.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I am so sorry to read your update. Will keep both you and your mare in my thoughts.

Just want to add that veterinary anesthesiology has improved significantly and I would guess that Guelph has up to date equipment. While there is always risk with general anesthesia, it would be very rare to lose a horse to the anesthesia in a modern teaching hospital with well trained staff. I would be far more worried about a sudden catastrophic rupture than having a foal delivered by caesarian section.

Oh My Gosh...what a horrible choice! It is such a personal decision all I can offer is {Hugs} to you. I have a very special mare that is currently pregnant (8 months along), and before we inseminated her I made the choice that if it ever comes down to the mare or the baby I would choose the mare. She is just too special to me. I also understand the disappointment of losing a foal. We have so many hopes and dreams wrapped up in them before the ever hit the ground. Please just listen to your heart (or gut) and try to find peace in whichever choice you make. Still praying for a great outcome for all!!
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

I can't say what I would do , as it is impossible to say without going thru this.... but i am sending you loads of jingles and hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by ElegantExpressionsFarm View Post
    Thanks guys!

Believe me I DID ask them what they would do in that situation and they said to be honest they didn’t know what they would do in that situation. They said they couldn’t say whether there would be a 5% chance or a 95% chance of it actually happening…but it is a possibility. I said I would be ok with her staying there for the rest of her pregnancy if it meant she would be ok, but even then there would be no guarantee it would work out the way we would want it to…
    If you ask them what they would do and they dont give an answer, then I say "ok, you have to choose a direction or make a decision and if you dont the whole world will explode and all life on the planet will be over". This is rediculous of course but it lightens the mood and sets them up to dig deep for an answer and I always get one with this little trick. Ask them, no insist that they give you a percentage of success, a number. And be sure to define success. Is it just the life of the mare, the future breeding life of the mare, the riding horse life, what? For yourself, evaluate the true cost of this and the true net value of the foal. I was in sales most of my life and its something I learned there. People do know, they just dong want to commit. Also, be sure you keep them on the track that it is 'their' money being spent.

Sometimes the answer is to wait a week and re-evaluate. But, it must be costing you a small fortune. Try this and let us know. And be sure to be there with them and watch their body language and look them right in the eye. I am so lucky my life parnter is a very, VERY caring farmer. We had to go through something like this last year with a serious EPM infection in pregnant mare. The mare was in foal to an famous European stallion via frozen semen, ect. Also, I loved this mare. So, I started from her value, the foal and so forth. It cost more than she was worth to get her healthy but the foal was valuable and in fact became the USDF GAIG Region CHampion Foal. The mare recovered wonderfully and is in foal again. But, these outcomes were measured and had numbers on them. But, we were not sure the treatment for the mare would or would not affect the fetus. Its a long story but I did a lot of homework and researched eveything including I did a threat on this forum asking other breeders for their expeience and to be honest, I used those 'statistics' as much as the vets advice. In the end, it turns out my experience the best outcome of anyone's. So, were we lucky? Yes a bit. My mare went up 2 grades in coordination where one grade is all that can be expected. She went from having to lean on walls to stand up to being able to canter around looking normal to an eye that did not know.

How can someone else make a decision about a situation that they are not responsible for AND have no idea (between 5 and 95%) how it is going to turn out? They did give numbers and they reflect a high degree of uncertainty.
    This whole scenario boils down to how you value the mare. How can someone else make that decision for you.
    Sorry but as the horse owners, we are foremost responsible for the animals we have. Vets will give a range of answers and some may not be the right answer for you.
    I am so sorry for the OP and the decisions you have to make. I hope some new information can be added that will help you.

Adding Wednesday jingles.

Sending more jingles and wishing that your decision was more clear and less difficult.

Thinking of you and hoping that maybe, if she stays there a bit longer, you will be able to get new information which will help you in your decision.
    Many many jingles.

Quote Originally Posted by stoicfish View Post
    How can someone else make a decision about a situation that they are not responsible for AND have no idea (between 5 and 95%) how it is going to turn out? They did give numbers and they reflect a high degree of uncertainty.
    This whole scenario boils down to how you value the mare. How can someone else make that decision for you.

Well, I dont believe this is the best the vets can do as far as giving likely outcomes. In my experience it may be true that this is the best answer they can .
    Sorry but as the horse owners, we are foremost responsible for the animals we have. Vets will give a range of answers and some may not be the right answer for you.
    I am so sorry for the OP and the decisions you have to make. I hope some new information can be added that will help you.
    Well, I dont believe this is the best the vets can do as far as giving likely outcomes in %. In my experience it may be true that this is the best answer they can give on a certian day but some of them will go home and do research in places we as the 'consumer' public, can not get into. I know my vet has called collegues in other parts of the country even. Of course untimatley the decision is the horse owners'. But, we PAY DEARLY and at high $$$ cost for vets advice and I have found, the ones who press get the best/most complete answers over and over again. Of course untimately the owner makes the decision and rightly so. Better more complete information helps the owner feel that no matter which way they decide, the had the best information and left no stone unturned so they can be better 'at peace' with the outcome either way. This owner is going to a lot of trouble just keeping this thread going let alone what she has done for the mare.

Thinking of you and your mare and what a difficult decision you have to make! Hoping for the best possible outcome!

This is obviously something nobody wants to go through. I'm so sorry that you do!

I cannot offer any answers or advice because I don't know what I would do, either. I really just don't know. I will, however, continue to offer jingles and keep you in prayer.

Hang in there!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Thanks again everyone!

I decided to bring her home today. What my plans are right now are to keep measuring her belly (in 3 different spots as per the vets) and taking her temperature everyday to see if there are any changes. We have a band on her that they use for colic recoveries and she is loving it! I am thinking of checking into the hernia band mentioned a few pages ago. She does have to stay on stall rest hand walking only to try to minimize her activity level (like bed rest in people). I am going to see how she does over the next few days and go from there. If money wasn't the issue there is no doubt I would leave my mare there to be watched for any changes and so they could interveen at a moments notice...but unfortunately I cannot do that...so if I am feeling like this is not going how it "should" then I will terminate right away as I do (believe it or not!) want what is best for my mare.

7 members found this post helpful.