So after further investigation, they have come to find that her abdominal wall has weakened and she is at rick of it rupturing…so my options are to…
1) Leave her be, and monitor her like crazy and look for ANY signs or changes in hopes of a health term foal and healthy mare which in turn causes me to risk loosing both her and the foal
2) Terminate the pregnancy
Does anyone have experience with this? I really do not want to terminate a healthy foal (just saw its heart beating yesterday!) but most importantly I do not want to loose my mare…do I just bring her home and measure her like they say and have my vet a phone call away to terminate at a moments notice, or do I just terminate and call it a day? They said to give her a year off and I *might* be able to try breeding her again, but suggested embryo transfer for her…she will be heartbroken to not have her own foal anymore…oh what to do? What to do???
Oh my gosh, this is one more curve on your emotional roller coaster! I have NO experience in this, but my gut feeling is that you are very attached to the mare, and if I were in your shoes, I would not want to put her at risk. You still have several more months if I remember correctly; that is a long time to be on pins and needles. Its also quite a while for the mare to be carrying a growing foal while things aren't right inside.
What if the vet can't be reached or is far away? Sad to say, I would go w/ option 2.
We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........
Funny you say that, they are going to try a band on her tonight that they use for horses recovering from colic surgery and a little banamine just to see how she would be. They did say it (her belly) might not grow anymore this pregnancy just the foal...but couldn't say for sure that would be the case...
Sorry about the news. I might ask for a second opinion just in case, as it seems there is not a best option if they are right. Is there any vets that have had first hand experience with a good outcome? So sorry again.
oh so sorry. What a difficult decision to make. You have been living on pins and needles for the last week...how do you think you could keep that up for months? Personally, I could not and would not want to lose the mare. But she is your mare, you know her best and you know what you can and you cannot deal with. Plus, how much do you trust your vet ie his knowledge and experience in such a difficult situation. I guess leaving her at a clinic to be monitored is out of the question financially. So hard.
I feel for you and will continue to jingle loud and clear!
I am going to just say it. Terminate the pregnancy and save the mare if she is the one you care most about. You cannnot be sure any vet will get to your place in time should it turn into an emergency and your life will be a living hell waiting for the disaster. You have come to the best vets you can find and they are saying its not a good likely outcome. Only one more bit of advice. I 'always' ask the attending vet "what would YOU do if it were your mare?". Then I listen to them explain it from their own perspective. They dont always like the question but they appreciate that I respect them enough to ask it. Also, if you go for the sling idea, find out the cost first and the % of likely good outcome. Horse breeding is a tough, tough business. I am very sorry that you have to deal with this. Best of luck whatever you chose to do.
Believe me I DID ask them what they would do in that situation and they said to be honest they didn’t know what they would do in that situation. They said they couldn’t say whether there would be a 5% chance or a 95% chance of it actually happening…but it is a possibility. I said I would be ok with her staying there for the rest of her pregnancy if it meant she would be ok, but even then there would be no guarantee it would work out the way we would want it to…
well if she could stay there, you know help would be there on time. IF they see the signs, they could intervene then and save the mare without causing you more trauma. So many questions still... I assume she is still at Guelph? what do they suggest? is she better out on pasture or kept stalled?
Many many jingles to you and Sunrise!
This is just my 2 cents. If you are able to leave her there, and if she can wear the colic support band...I think I would do that. There are no guarantees whether either or both make it to term in any case. You could abort the foal and then the mare could colic for some reason, and you could lose her too. Everyone with horses lives with that possibility. If the mare is there under supervision and with the facility to take action..they both have a chance of survival. It is a really hard call, but that is what I would do. It is so true that breeding is not for the faint of heart. Things can always go wrong, and all you can do is prepare. Also, since they are giving her a 5 to 95 percent chance of things going wrong..that is a huge range..they just don't know, but no one knows what else could happen either. So sorry that you are going through all of this. Jingling on.
I have had great success with this......had a mare with a post op hernia, several post op openings in the suture line after a colic surgery. The mare wore this almost her entire pregnancy. She delivered a healthy happy full term foal. A little different from your circumstances but it worked.....good luck with your decision that only you can make.
What a tough decision; I'm so sorry.
I cherish each and every one of my mares and each of their foals. If I had to make such a horrible decision I would abort the foal to try to save the mare's life. The thing to remember is that there is no guarantee that you will catch a ruptured tendon/ligament in time to do anything about it. In fact, in my experience there is no warning. The mare will look the same as she has, and then there is a catastrophic rupture. Mares can and do survive such ruptures, but it can (of course) be deadly. Another thing to keep in mind is that aborting at this stage does still carry some risk; contractions can really strain the supporting tissues, but the risk will increase as the foal grows.
I would get clarification on exactly what structures we are talking about. Abdominal wall (i.e. muscle rupture) is pretty darn rare. More common would be a pre-pubic tendon rupture (still dangerous). However, mares have survived pre-pubic tendon ruptures and been nursed along to carry the foal to term and deliver a healthy foal, but the risks are high and of course the mare can never carry a pregnancy again. Definitely worth clarifying exactly what structures are at risk here, and then make the best of a very tough situation.