Thanks for all the jingles guys!! I am pretty sure they are working because the swelling is about 95% down from yesterday!!
She is still not really eating (which sucks) Her new "thing" is she is very agitated and swishes her tail madly when she goes to move (not all the time, but I would say about 80% of the time) In fact she almost didn’t come to the gate for her daily grain (1/4 lb feed fed only for supplements) and this mare lives for food! There is no heat in her feet or a digital pulse so not too sure what the problem is there if it is weight related or not? She has also been chewing a great deal at her belly and trying to scratch her hind end…like you would see in a late in term mare…so I am quite worried about that! I am booked in for MONDAY (can you believe I have to wait a week!) to get her ultrasounded to see if they can find something (ie. Twins or too much fluid…)…my vet was going to try to get them to fit her in this week as she is quite uncomfortable…I hope he is able to! Thanks again everyone, I will keep you posted!!
Sending more jingles.
I am shocked that she can't be seen sooner, considering the lack of appetite and how uncomfortable she is. I personally would call the clinic myself and politely but firmly insist on being seen sooner, if at all possible.
Another vote for getting her seen asap. The lack of appetite and discomfort would have me worried enough to have her admitted as an emergency. The U here doesn't require a referral for emergencies although many think they need one. I would talk with the hospital directly if you can.
I hope you can get in sooner as well, but Guelph being the only veterinary college in Ontario... I know it is always very busy. For colics and problems, the local vets tend to refer to Milton, Ilderton or Caledon, but breeding... yeah, I would think Guelph is your best bet.
Jingles... loud and clear and close!
BUT the "good" thing is (aside from her huge belly) is she was eating perfect again tonight and she was walking nice and forward again! I was all set to say I needed her seen asap, and if she has anything come back like the last few days she will be going to get checked out. I still have a fear it is hydrops (she doen't have all the symptoms...but most of them...) ...I guess we will find out on Monday if it is...fingers crossed it isn't!!
We are very sad to share that my mare is going to loose her foal any day now. The vet was out tonight and removed her castlick. She is eating and acting like her old self, only now she is starting to bag up. As sad and as hard as this is to take right now, it is really the "best" outcome (aside from a healthy term foal of course!) Please keep your fingers crossed for an uneventful delivery for her and that she will be ok.