The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone Have Experience With EZ Control Bits? Bit questions...

I'm bit hunting for my mare and I could gladly use some input on some bits.

I was looking at this

http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/stubbe...x?cm_vc=Search

Mare in question (or perhaps, hony/pony) is heavy and hard mouthed. Now, I'm not one to just jump into a bigger bit, that's NOT my goal at all. In fact, I've spent a great deal of time (a couple years) working on this mare's acceptance of the bridle. She was, when I got her, an overused polo pony who had some pretty gnarly things shoved in her face.

Right now I have her in a copper mouth eggbutt, which has been the winner so far. I have ridden her in my full cheek before and preferred that over the eggbutt, which is why I'm looking at the fullcheek in the link above.

I've always been a big believer of "if you don't know the mechanics of the bit, don't use it". So I'm at a loss. I'm a simple snaffle girl, or only have knowledge of the other bits, like pelhems and hackamores, that I've used (which neither of those, IMO, would work for my mare).

My small experience with Dr. Bristols wasn't fun, I hated them and am not keen on attempting it again, though like I said, minimal experience.

I've never used a bit with a roller before.

My next go to was something like a slow twist.

Any input would be helpful here. I'm starting to pull my hair out. This mare has been doing fabulously, but I feel like I'm at a turning point in her training and I don't know where to go from here.

TIA

Rachel

The joints of the center piece on the Stubben EZ control are designed to not collapse at all when pressure is applied. If the horse is carrying the bit softly, it has a little bit of play. If the horse or rider pulls, it basically turns into a solid mullen mouth. As soon as the pressure is released, it softens a little bit again.

I'm not a huge fan of mullen mouth bits for a tough-mouthed horse as I feel it is easy for a horse to lug on them, I tend to go with a regular French link or a lozenge link for the extra play in the mouthpiece. Maybe just a regular French link full cheek would work?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/jp-kor...x?cm_vc=Search
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Yes, this bit will lock up if your horse leans on it. Making it pretty effective for grabbing ahold and freight training, I think. Just made my horse trip. Weird.

I had no success with this bit. All it does is lock up into what is essentially a mullen mouth. Last time I checked, if you need control, turning a 3 piece jointed into a mullen doesn't really give you more control. I have a freight train type horse and he just said "golly gee thanks" and hung on it. There was no control, let alone "EZ" control. So far we have the most success with a pelham or waterford. I was surprised he did, but hung right on the Dr. Bristol.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I would suggest a waterford. They are good for horses that lean and the ball movement makes it difficult for them to grab hold. Used to use one of a TB that would curl and drag me all over the place.

I have one with a loose ring. I liked it when I first tried it, but I'm still deciding if I like it. If he is in the right mood, he goes great in it. But I'm also noticing that my horse tilts his head in it more. He doesn't do that in his 3 ring Watson bit that I use for jumping, so I'm sure it isn't physical. I can't decide if it is his latest form of evasion or something encouraged by the shift of pressure to the bars of his mouth.

A slow twist, and if that doesn't do it, progress to a waterford.

I bitted up for winter-horse from a plain D to a slow twist D. For about a week he backed off it a little too much and was a little displeased with me but he's gotten over it and is working absolutely beautifully now.

Maybe your horse would prefer something more thinner instead of a slow twist?
    How 'fat' is your current bit?

If your mare liked the full cheek, maybe you could also look at a baucher (half cheek) bit.

Or a 3-4 rings elevator bit with 2 reins.

I just don't like slow twist bits.

i loved this bit on the young horse i was riding because it was solid enough for her to learn contact and keep her from playing with the bit too much (she was a chewing machine in a normal 3-piece), but still had a little bit of play. that said, it doesn't sound like it will help you very much.

Thank you guys so much

The full cheek I have is a Waterford, which I like, but it's not that she's a grabby horse, just heavy... If this is making sense. The Waterford helped but wasn't enough I guess is what I'm saying.

I did think of trying a thinner bit. I actually went to the tack shop to look for one and couldn't find one. I will keep my eye out for one though.

I do have a three ring I can try with two reins.

Good suggestion on the Boucher. I had a horse in one and liked it enough. I'll see if I can dig it out of the enormous bit collection.

And finally, I think I might settle with the slow twist. I don't like the sound of the EZ bits from what I hear, it almost sounds counterproductive

I'll pick one up today and ride her tomorrow in it and let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks so much

I have a very heavy paint mare that I ride who turns into a freight train with a waterford, but goes quite nicely in either a slow twist or pelham.

I have an EZControl and I like it. I bought it for a gelding that had trouble taking contact, and with the EZControl he is much more willing to keep a feel of the bit.

In my horse's sake, he was wanting to curl behind to avoid contact, but this is a symptom of a similar problem; horse not wanting to take contact...yours is just going about it differently and opting to lock the jaw rather than curl.

I DO think it is worth trying to see if your horse's issue comes more out of fear of the bit rather than being a bully. I could see a horse wanting to lean on it, but leaning is corrected with leg, not with bits, so I wouldn't see that as being an issue this bit would create.

I would also like to suggest a figure-8 noseband; I had a freight train mare who was being ridden in a super thin, straight bar snaffle with her old home, and still semi-out of control...the issue was the mare was just so sensitive, the she locked her jaw to protect herself! She also had fat cheeks and would bit her cheeks if she relaxed her jaw (cavesson pulled her cheeks into the teeth). She went much better with a softer bit and the figure-8...presumably because she no longer felt the need to lock up and protect herself.

Default Success with a young horse

My experience with the EZ control was ditto to emeraldcity. I used it on a 5yo TB mare who was soft and easy by nature. She loved the EZ control, I loved her in it. It is not a "big" bit.

I have the EZ control 3 ring gag (http://www.clarkemckenzie.co.nz/stub...-ring-gag-bit/).

I bought it in a pinch because I needed a gag (KK gag I have was on back order at the time) but this did not do anything for me with the horse that I bought it for except let it lean on the bit.

Thanks again everyone!!!

CHT: She's in a figure eight

I went ahead with the slow twist (they had an eggbutt which is what I bought) and rode her today and she was lovely, I only rode her for about 10 minutes as she worked pretty hard yesterday and I just wanted to test run the bit, but from what I can tell she went really well in it. really well.

Not ruling other bits out, but so far, this one is the winner.

I wish I could find a place to try the EZ bit (or, any bit, really) without forking out the cash because they're a little spendy :/ I'll keep an eye out at the used tack shop for one.

for fun, here's a picture of the mare in question... just because I think she's lovely. She's not built super uphill, so that's where a little of our problem comes in. This might be where the boucher could come in handy.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...aplin/hony.jpg

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/.../gracepony.jpg

anyways, opinions are always welcome, I'm really enjoying this, so thanks so much!!!

If you need a 5.5 and don't mind paying shipping, you can borrow my EZ D ring
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

vxf: thank you so much, but she's so small I need something like a 5. But thank you so much for offering