The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Starving Horse

A starving horse lives down the road from me. It WAS a lovely horse, owned by a horrible person. Crazy person, a nut. Not a nice person!! He gets thin every winter, but this winter/spring, VERY BAD. I would guess he's a 2 on the 10 point scale. I have stopped on the highway, taken pictures without getting out of my vehicle. I have sent those pictures to the local SPCA worker. The SPCA have "left messages" with the owner to call them, as they can not get hold of the owner. They have not had the call returned. I have provided the cell phone number of the owner. Evidently, they must ask for permission to inspect the farm. If permission is not given, then the RCMP gets involved to do the farm inspection.

When I stopped to take the pictures, he nickered to me, hopefully. Heartbreaking.

I fear that with the warning that the SPCA is getting involved, that there has been a complaint about the condition of the horse, that she has moved the horse, perhaps off the property. But the horse is very distinctively marked, there is not another one like him. I may be able to locate him locally if this has happened. Or, he may have just been moved to a different location on the same farm, not visible from the road. IDK.

I am extremely angry with this person, for a number of reasons, the horse's condition being one of them. There are other horses on the property too, some in as bad condition as this "recognizable" one, some (the air ferns) look fine still. IDK about the condition of feet, worming schedules etc. There is no shortage of money in this situation.

I am frustrated with the slow action of the SPCA. I know they have protocol that must be followed, and that things take time, and that they are busy with a number of crazy horrible people, doing horrible things to their animals. But still.

Anybody got any further ideas about how to get this going?

Contact the press?

4 members found this post helpful.

Call the police
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

2 members found this post helpful.

I would call the police, yes. Contacting the press is also good. Offer to lease the horse.
    My warmbloods have actually drunk mulled wine in the past. Not today though. A drunk warmblood is a surly warmblood. - WildandWickedWarmbloods

Call the police and although it is hard...do NOT leave food for the horse. There have been cases were well-meaning people throw hay out or leave a bale by the paddock and when the SPCA comes around, they see that there is food on the property so it's a-ok.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

2 members found this post helpful.

Buy the horse and take care of it how you would like it to be cared for.

4 members found this post helpful.

I will definitely be there to "adopt" this horse, should seizure happen. I would also offer to "foster" for the SPCA, fix him up, in order to be first in line to adopt, if possible.

He is currently NOT OFFERED for sale, or for lease. The owner "loves" him. He is her "pet".

I can go to the police about it I guess, but I tend to think they will only put it off onto the SPCA to deal with. There is no local "press" to go to, other than a facebook local group. I have considered that, but am unsure if that would in some way jeopardize or damage any case the SPCA may be able to make. To do so also "for sure" identifies me as the source of the complaint, and my house, family, animals have already been threatened. Yes, that crazy. This horse owner has already been locked up in a mental institution last fall for a week. Several court cases pending/waiting already for crazy stuff done.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry for the horses and you. The spca here has hung up on me a couple of times, lol. They thought I was pushy!!

What I've found that works, is to go over their heads. Complain often and strongly. Make a nuisance of yourself. If you can't harass the spca into doing anything, then go to the highest officer of the RCMP you can find.

Do you have a tv station anywhere nearby?

BTW, down here in California, it is against the law to make "terrorist threats", like threatening to injure someone or his/her posessions. Know a lawyer with time on her hands and a love of horses?

I will see my SPCA contact again this weekend, and progress in this case will be a subject we will cover.

The threats made, I did not get the conversation recorded. But I am now prepared for the next time, if it happens. It is against the law to do so here too, but one must have proof that they were made.

The RCMP know her well, perhaps too well. One has to be selective about which RCMP officer one talks to about her. This info also needs to be audio recorded, perhaps I will get that done the next time I have the opportunity, now that I am prepared. The SPCA also has a history with her, from a previous horse. THAT horse ended up being shot to avoid further SPCA involvement, which it should have been two years previously when it first arrived, but had been kept alive so that the grandkids could ride it (which was amazing since it could barely stand up by itself). Advanced cushing's syndrome (I presumed), never diagnosed, never treated, and far beyond treatment (IMO) by the time it showed up here in town.
    The type of cushing's where they get really thin, not the fat type. That one would have been a "1" on the ten point scale. I did not turn that one in to the SPCA, because someone else driving by her farm on the road did.

No TV station very nearby. And I suspect that the horse has been removed from where it can be seen by the public, going by on the road, so unable to be filmed. I waited all winter to get a look at him, but he was kept well behind the barn, and when he was moved out onto the field beside the road (to graze- feeding of hay was "over" for the year as soon as the overgrazed field had the slightest green tinge), I got the picture ASAP.

You could try contacting Rescue 100 here in the Edmonton area. No, they can't actually help, but I bet they have ideas on what you can do to help. Alternatively contact any local area rescues: the rescues will know which local SPCA workers will actually do something.

Have you tried the Livestock hotline? Or is that just an Alberta thing? They seem more able/willing to go out and see the animals than the SPCA which is more a small animal program.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I'm with buy the horse group. Money talks. Go to the person and ask what it would take to buy the horse. Don't discuss his condition or any thing else, just keep asking, how much will you take to sell me the horse. Consider having a sum of cash on hand to flash (500 one dollar bills might be a good start --looks like a big wad especially if you put a couple of 20s on the outside). Hold it out, fan it. If the purchase price is higher, ask if you can take the horse now for the cash you have and bring the rest later --or go get more cash if you have it. Be prepared to immediately take the horse, have a bill of sale prepared and ready for a signature.

Second idea would be to take yourself down to your county prosecutors office on a Tuesday morning (in our county, Mondays are the busy day as the prosecutors are dealing with weekend arrests). Ask to speak to a prosecutor and what steps you need to do to have the person taken to court for animal cruelty. In our county, someone would talk to you --our prosecutor is elected and needs VOTES.

Anyway, I'd go with the cash in hand and a bill of sale first. There is something about cash that motivates people.

Foxglove