The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to me about Magnesium and Chelated Calcium Supplements

Someone suggested to me that magnesium as a supplement is effective in calming horses. In doing a bit of reading on line it seems like there is another school of thought that magnesium works in supplements that also contain chelated calcium and the two work best together.

Does anyone have any further information (have any scientific studies been done?) or experiences on either one or both of these as calming supplements?

I am not currently giving any supplements except some biotin for feet. And I do not know much about the use of them for a calming effect. It is a road I am somewhat hesitant to go down-- just because I know so little about this.

Any information or thoughts appreciated.
    A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Mg = calming only if they are deficient.

Enough Mg has to be present for adequate Ca uptake (which is why people can still develop osteoporosis in spite of ample Ca intake - not enough Mg.

Horses (and people) are much more likely to be Mg-deficient than Ca-deficient.

Thanks for the information.

In doing some digging, I did find this article ( abstract and preview page available for free) http://wageningenacademic.metapress....ext.pdf?page=1 suggesting that some improvement in horse reactivity might be due to the addition of magnesium to diet.

edited to add

http://repository.tamu.edu/bitstream...pdf?sequence=3

I also found this thesis-- which deals with the effects of magnesium on horses, albeit not looking at calming effects but on performance. Still, one physiological reaction to magnesium is to me significant, as it supports that it is doing something rather than nothing when taken.
    A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli