The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bloodhorse version:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...uperficial-cut

"She bruised her hip,'' trainer John Shirreffs said. "It's hard to say (if she'll miss any training). We'll have to see how she is when she walks out of the stall (Sunday).''

Eagerly awaiting her next go.

I hate when that happens!

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Eblouissante Avoided Serious Injury in Mishap

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...jury-in-mishap

Zenyatta's half sister Eblouissante, scratched from an allowance race Dec. 15 at Betfair Hollywood Park after banging herself in the receiving barn, apparently avoided serious injury.

The 3-year-old filly appeared fine the morning after the incident, according to trainer John Shirreffs.

"She's good this morning," said a relieved Shirreffs. "It was a contusion or abrasion. It took some hair off and it's bruised. We're treating it topically now. We iced it about four or five times (Saturday). She's walking good on it so we're going to take her out and train her and see how she handles it."

Shirreffs explained how the accident happened.

"The horses go to the receiving barn and the man says put your horses in the stalls,'' he said. "They come out of the stalls in post position order, and sometimes they get a little anxious because they see the horse leaving in front of them. Sometimes they want to come out of the door a little more on the muscle than they should.

"She didn't jump through the door or anything, she just wiggled through the side and leaned a thousand pounds into her hip on the edge of the door. She bruised it pretty good."

"I called the vet over because when she came out of the door, she didn't want to put her foot down. She bruised it, so it was stinging her a little bit. We walked her a couple of steps and she wasn't walking properly. That's when I asked the vet to come over and take a look at her and said to scratch her."

Any update on when her next race is?

She is nominated to the La Canada Stakes.

She's entered in an AOC on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Breeze View Post
    She's entered in an AOC on Thursday.
    Thank you!

http://www.santaanita.com/sites/defa...2013-01-17.pdf

Can someone recommend a site to watch the race live via computer?

2 members found this post helpful.

Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Here you go. Deja vu!!
    I have to say that my takeaway with the deja vu was more so with her post parade walk up. She would stop, head held up high, and just look around. She doesn't paw at the ground with a digging in effort, but its that regal head exploration does (for me) have a reflection of what I saw before.

A good effort, certainly not a mind numbing one, but clearly Corey was not asking her to kick in with all she had to run roughshod over the field and win by a dozen. She clearly will be ready for that graded stakes run in her next effort.

Its nice to have a relatively young horse running where its just fun to watch her go.

Side question as I watched it on TVG live but was HRTV having broadcast issues? I flipped to that channel and my carrier couldn't provide the signal.

If she has half the career of Zenyatta, she will still be lots of fun to watch and successful in her own right. Here's hoping!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    I have to say that my takeaway with the deja vu was more so with her post parade walk up. She would stop, head held up high, and just look around. She doesn't paw at the ground with a digging in effort, but its that regal head exploration does (for me) have a reflection of what I saw before.

A good effort, certainly not a mind numbing one, but clearly Corey was not asking her to kick in with all she had to run roughshod over the field and win by a dozen. She clearly will be ready for that graded stakes run in her next effort.

Its nice to have a relatively young horse running where its just fun to watch her go.

Side question as I watched it on TVG live but was HRTV having broadcast issues? I flipped to that channel and my carrier couldn't provide the signal.
    Would have loved to have seen that post parade. But time got away and had to watch the replay. Then looking at the race, saw it was an optional $40k N1x, so yes, probably not too challenging. A half hour after the race, when I thought to turn on the TV, HRTV was on at that time.

But also had to laugh reading the chart, "broke a bit slowly". Well, yeah. So what?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Well darn. Forgot to set my DVR, and I don't find it uploaded to youtube yet. If anyone finds a video please post the link!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I wish I could have been there! Had to work though, and no way to call in sick this time. Had to settle for watching it on CalRacing and my iPhone. I think my screaming disrupted the jumping lesson nearby. Ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Well darn. Forgot to set my DVR, and I don't find it uploaded to youtube yet. If anyone finds a video please post the link!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZaxFrfZCcI

Oddly enough that's the Los Angeles Times coverage on her 2nd win.

Tweet from DRF's Brad Free .. statistically a regressive effort

Eblouissante earned 83 Beyer winning N1X Thursday Santa Anita, after 88 in debut. Zenyatta figs: 87 debut (sprint), followed by 88.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...it-two-for-two

Click on VIDEO in first paragraph to watch...

Same Zenyatta like "eh, I guess I'll pick up some speed to get in front..." attitude at end. Glad to see she was urged gently...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...it-two-for-two

Click on VIDEO in first paragraph to watch...

Same Zenyatta like "eh, I guess I'll pick up some speed to get in front..." attitude at end. Glad to see she was urged gently...
    She just showed a little greenness at the end, kinda like "Ok, I'm done right?", goofing off, but as soon as he urged her with the whip, she got focused again and did her job. Good learning experience. Hope she improves with maturity, I have a feeling there was much more to her than what we saw.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

And today's mystery.... How did this optional Claimer become a "Mojave River Purse" race?

Condition Book says: SIXTH RACE ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING
    Purse $58,000. (Plus up to $17,400 to Cal-Breds) For Fillies And Mares
    Four Years Old And Upward Which Have Never Won $10,000 Other Than
    Maiden, Claiming Or Starter Or Which Have Never Won Two Races Or
    Optional Claiming Price Of $40,000.
    Three Year Olds 121 lbs. Older 124 lbs.
    Non-winners of a race other than Maiden, Claiming or Starter at a mile or over since
    December 27, 2011 2 lbs.
    A Race Other Than Claiming, Or Starter At A Mile Or Over Since July 11, 2012 4 lbs.
    (Races Where Entered For $32,000 Or Less Not Considered)
    (Non-Starters for a claiming price of $25,000 or less in the last 3 starts preferred)
    ONE MILE AND ONE SIXTEENTH

Equibase says the same.

But Santa Anita Press Release....

http://www.santaanita.com/press/pres...2%80%99s-58000

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries