The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Another replay here as well

She looked good - not really that far behind honestly when the field approach the 2nd turn - and kicked it up. Nice ride by Corey on a heavily wagered favorite.

In recent weeks, Shirreffs said that Eblouissante had shown more determination in finishing her workouts. She displayed the same tendency in Friday's race, moving from sixth place to second from the end of the backstretch to early stretch.

"It looks like something clicks and she knows she should catch the horses in front of her," Shirreffs said. "We've seen that in the morning.

"Corey did a great job with her. We wanted to find a rhythm."

Shirreffs and Kronfeld are hoping that Eblouissante can start in an allowance race at the end of this meeting on Dec. 16 or at the Santa Anita winter-spring meeting, which opens on Dec. 26.

Eblouissante's win comes almost five years to the day of Zenyatta's debut on Nov. 22, 2007. Zenyatta started her career in a race over 6 1/2 furlongs, winning by three lengths.
    You have to feel for the Moss family who also had a runner in the field making her second start.

Well crap, I wasn't expecting that.

Or ready for it.

Dare we dream? Too late, right?

I've been a racing fan too long to get caught up... or maybe just long enough to.

Well, for what it's worth, Z's maiden race, for comparison.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

That was an amazing race! She just put her gears on, came around, then pulled Z's trick of slowing down in front....the heart attack moment...then revved up again! Strong girl!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Familiar-looking style....

Also nice props to Chestnut Moon coming off the rail and going around, behind, and outside to get up for second.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamswept View Post
    Me. Screaming like a banshee when she hit the lead. Was in the win photo as one of her many fans.
    So happy, and jealous, that you got to go! I won't tell
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

That was thrilling to watch, and love how you gals got in the picture. Think this is worth moving to the West Coast for?

I noticed Shirriffs also started Zenny at the end of November in her 3 yo year.

Thought she had many characteristics of her sis, in her run, the ears, and the attitude. Think she'll have the dance steps down by next race?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I sure did enjoy watching that race, brought back memories of following the career of her big sis.

For some reason, this really has me thinking of her dam. She may not get as many headlines or hoopla, but I'd say Vertigineux is one unbelievable broodmare .

http://www.pedigreequery.com/vertigineux
    <><

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    That was thrilling to watch, and love how you gals got in the picture. Think this is worth moving to the West Coast for?

I noticed Shirriffs also started Zenny at the end of November in her 3 yo year.

Thought she had many characteristics of her sis, in her run, the ears, and the attitude. Think she'll have the dance steps down by next race?

Well, I'd think so. We've got some great trainers who are very welcoming to the fans. I've been up close and personal with Zenyatta. Barn 55 connections are some of the sweetest, kindest and most welcoming connections I've seen and routinely encourage visitors to come see the big horses. I've been a part of Ebby's life since her arrival at Sherriffs barn, visiting with her, watching her work the summer before last at Del Mar, watching her grow. It's been a real blessing and John and Dottie and the crew at the barn have been very generous in letting people share that experience.

And getting my time with I'll Have Another was pretty cool too, have made some real connections with Team O'Neill. I've been following Know More and He's Had Enough for a long time and remember when HHE didn't need the full stall gate.

Everyone's been generally friendly on the backside too, and the west coast trainers are generally pretty encouraging to the fanbase. At least in my experience.

Can someone explain what a truenicks is and why she got a B+ compared to the other two?

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Familiar-looking style....

Also nice props to Chestnut Moon coming off the rail and going around, behind, and outside to get up for second.
    Chestnut Moon and Saturday Night both looked good. I was really hoping SN would hold on for the win.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

What a great race! So delightful to watch; it really did evoke those amazing memories of her sister. Here's to Eblouissante soon making amazing memories of her own soon.

(And I agree, the other fillies hung in tough and seem like good quality horses as well.)

If she runs at Santa Anita, I just may need to go watch.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

This one has the ladies invited into the winners circle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUYiCjcfBf4 How very nice of them to do that for the fans.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

So happy. I couldn't watch live but I sneakily checked FB at work around race time. Sure enough, it blew up. Got home from work and first thing I did was watch the replay. Knowing that she would win, I actually teared up when she played around while coming up on the leaders. So much like big sister.

Winning over a route of ground first time out is not something that's often done. It took 13 years for it to happen at my (cheap) track - a horse I worked with was the first to do it - and it's still only happened here 2-3 times in 17 years.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    Can someone explain what a truenicks is and why she got a B+ compared to the other two?
    TrueNicks is a nicking service that evaluates sire lines crossed with the sires of the dams. It is notoriously changeable- as I recall Zenyatta had a D nick before she ran which became an A + when her talent surfaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Yep, they certainly have been cautious with her. With that many works, I wouldn't think there have been any physical hiccups. Maybe she's just big and slow to mature.
    Just like big sis.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Start #2 will be this Saturday (Dec 15, 2012) - Race 4 at Betfair Hollywood Park

I think they wanted to get the race in before the end of the world - per the Mayan Calendar on Dec 21st.

Small field of just 5 horses with her in PP 3. Three of the five in for a $40k claiming tag. Race 4 - entries, weights, jocks, et al

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes - watching Zenyatta's little sister run - can't think of a better thing to do just before the big one hits. Even if it is on a TV set. LOL
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Default Nice Bloodhorse article

Eblouissante to Make Next Start at Hollywood

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...t-at-hollywood

A smashing winner in her much anticipated debut last month, Eblouissante, a half sister to 2010 Horse of the Year Zenyatta, will make her second start Dec. 15 at Betfair Hollywood Park.

Entered in the fourth race, an allowance/optional claiming event, Eblouissante's presence adds to an already attractive Saturday program that includes the $250,000 Hollywood Turf Cup (gr. IIT) and the $750,000 CashCall Futurity (gr. II).

Eblouissante will have four opponents in the the Cushion Track event that carries a purse of $48,000 for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles. Post time is 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

Rest of article at link above.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Damn! She's a late scratch. From the quick bit I heard on TVG, it's nothing serious. I think maybe she hit herself walking over, or warming up, something like that
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Damn! She's a late scratch. From the quick bit I heard on TVG, it's nothing serious.
    She was listed at 1-9 before the incident. It occurred when leaving the receiving barn, she rubbed her hip against the door and took off some "hide". Additionally ...

Shirreffs said the decision to withdraw Eblouissante was made after “she took a couple of bad steps” following the incident.
    To be exceedingly clear - this was/is a minor injury and she'll be back.