The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow, you might have a point about clingy kitties and abandonment. All my toms were strays and my most current was abandoned in an apartment. And boy-howdy, Pippin stayed the night at the vets (he blocked years ago and I thought he was trying to block again -didn't) and Pumpkin went from clingy to velcro - complete with desperate purring.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I have 7 cats and I have one clingy one! When I am home he follows me everywhere. The second I sit down he is on my lap. He sleeps on my pillows at night and must have at least one paw touching me at all times I actually like it but I have also had him 6 years so I am used to it!!!

Getting another kitty may not change his personality but at least it might give him someone to play with when you are gone
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Hi - Crazy cat lady here ~waving~ let me tell you, the more, the merrier.
    I went to the local ac after someone posted an adorable kitten on my fb that was on the death watch. Well, howdy, I went on 11/1 and gave them it's number (they didn't know the gender) and the kennel worker had me go in the back to pick it out. OMG ! It was in the cage with its' mama and 2 black litter mates - and they were TOO YOUNG to be taken away from mom. The kennel worker told me that the mom and other 2 babies were to be killed at the end of that day. Oh, and for the babies that means heartstick!!!
    Oh Hell No!! I went out to the desk with my Bomber baby (cage # B-17) and told them I wanted to adopt the rest of the family.
    $160 later, they were safe at my farm. That weekend, I was informed of another mama w/3 babies slated to be killed before opening on Monday morning. Nope - not on my watch. I blew up their answering machines; left emails for Everyone there and was at the ac two hours before opening. I made sure they all seen me as they arrived so they would not kill the family!
    I again paid $160 and brought the second family home.
    They all get along great! 2 of the babies are clingers, but that is ok. Three of them live for the laser light. There is a fold up large cube that they love to play in and tumble around in.
    Just last Friday, we all went to the vet for a wellness check-up and they were the hit of the office!
    Both moms will be getting spayed as soon as the vet feels they have put on enough weight. The babies will be done when he feels they are ready.
    I adore my new families, and I think they are pretty happy. It sure does feel good to save a life or two or 8.

11 members found this post helpful.

You know what? Maybe he does have abandonment issues! He and I recently moved and since then he has been extra Clingmaster 5000. Maybe he thinks I'm going to abandon him in our new house? The poor thing! I really just want him to be happy so if laying on my head while kneading and purring makes him happy, I'll deal with it!

3 members found this post helpful.

I have to boy cats (brothers). They typically spend their days outside, but come in at night. If one isn't on me or glued next to me, the other one is...or, they both are. It is also not uncommon for them to stay inside or come back quickly on my day off, and we have a big old snuggly lie in in bed with the dog (I LOVE that!).

I don't mind in the least. Part of the reason I got a cat...err...two cats, was that I missed a snuggly cat body! There is nothing more relaxing to me than having a snuggle with a kitty. Don't get me wrong. I adore my dog! She is my constant companion and I'd be lost without her, but we're not really snuggly...we usually spend the night kicking each other and fighting over the bed (she sleeps most nights on the couch or on her bed, but she does sleep with me every couple of nights or so). The cats and I don't have any of those issues unless they "trap" me under the covers (then the claustrophobia sets in).

A picture of one of our lie ins: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151107166586600&l=6aa6f72222

1 members found this post helpful.

I have four cats, four personalities. No desperate clingers (thank goodness, I'd get a cramp from having 20lbs of Jet on my lap) but one very aloof (Marcus, who sometimes will be very insistent about wanting to lick my hand, but mostly has his own schedule), one still a little schizo (PC, but part of that is he keeps scratching himself an infection in his ear so they have to be cleaned and he DOES NOT LIKE THAT), one the giant lump (Jet), and Sundae, the only female. Look on the bright side, could be like Sundae--she doesn't cling, she just assumes that you're fine with her sitting on your lap now. Or if I get up from my chair for five minutes, she's curled up in it sound asleep. Because it's HER CHAIR. She also does things like jump on the other cats' heads. Why? Because she's the GIRL. Girls are ALLOWED to do that. But man, does she get huffy if one of them jumps on her. Also huffy when Marcus just ignores her completely (as I said, he's odd). No one is allowed to ignore Sundae! She doesn't cling, she just considers people some sort of self-heating furniture.

Now isn't this reason enough to have two?
    http://s1194.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=4
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    I have a fantastic cat that I rescued from the local shelter last year. He's approx 5 years old, so cute and super snuggly.....herein lies the problem.

He's a stage 5 clinger. He doesn't seem to have any insecurity issues (I work 9-5 and he's alone all day - never been an issue). When I'm home, he's on top of me....literally! If I lay on the couch, he lays on me. When I go to bed, he lays on me. When I go to the bathroom, he lays on my feet. When I shower, he sits patiently and waits for me. I don't mind him sleeping or snuggling with me, but is this normal?? He doesn't seem to be stressed out, worried etc. Just really snuggly ALL. THE. TIME. Sometimes a gal just wants to watch tv in peace! I'd like him to be a tad more independent. Do I ignore him? Not let him lay all over me? Do I get another kitty friend for him to hang with?

Any others with similar experiences?
    Get another kitty. Seriously. My cat was a serious clinger from the second I brought him home - I came *this* close to naming him Shadow because he was like my shadow (and his fur is grey, so it would have fit, but I went with something else). I adopted a second cat a couple years later and not only is the first cat down to like Stage 2 from Stage 5 clinginess - he still follows me, but not nearly as much - it's also calmed him down vocally. He used to meow all the time.

Of course, Cat #2 more than makes up for the meowing Cat #1 used to do, but still. They are good company for each other, they play a lot and snuggle together.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I have a stage-five-clinger-approved second kitty, just for you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1132164...n/photostream/

(really! Isn't he cute??)

My static cling cat is a previous street tom as well. Nearly 20 lbs of "love." I've not found a way to break the spell! I can lock him in, lock him out, ignore him, give him a taste of his own medicine.. no difference. Still staring at me through the sheer shower curtain, straining to see under the bathroom door (spoiler alert - same thing every day!), watching me change, checking my socks and putting his furry mark on my work pants every.single.AM. If I take too long getting my mail at night, just inside the building entrance, I can hear him yelling from the apartment "what could you POSSIBLY BE DOINGGGGGGGGGGG????? OMG you fell, didn't you? Did you fall? OMG you broke your leg, didn't you?! I can help. Let me out, let me out, let me out. I HAVE TO HELP!"

And man he's a jerk. If any other furball threatens his time with me by doing something crazy like watching me and patiently waiting for their dinner.. bodyslam!

My little female and Cheese, my foster kitty in the picture, just avoid his neediness. They play and put on acrobatics shows and have giggly catnip fights when he's in a good mood, but when he's cranky they just hop up on a table and give him the finger. I don't blame them.. bipolar crazy kitty.

In time I think you'll learn the balance of embracing his neediness and not giving a rip about shutting a door on his tiny tear-stained face or stepping over his fake dead body when he throws an "OMG, words hurt. I'm dead." tantrum at your feet

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Now isn't this reason enough to have two?
    http://s1194.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=4
    Or this- http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150617284291600&l=8661aa455a