The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clingy Kitty???

I have a fantastic cat that I rescued from the local shelter last year. He's approx 5 years old, so cute and super snuggly.....herein lies the problem.

He's a stage 5 clinger. He doesn't seem to have any insecurity issues (I work 9-5 and he's alone all day - never been an issue). When I'm home, he's on top of me....literally! If I lay on the couch, he lays on me. When I go to bed, he lays on me. When I go to the bathroom, he lays on my feet. When I shower, he sits patiently and waits for me. I don't mind him sleeping or snuggling with me, but is this normal?? He doesn't seem to be stressed out, worried etc. Just really snuggly ALL. THE. TIME. Sometimes a gal just wants to watch tv in peace! I'd like him to be a tad more independent. Do I ignore him? Not let him lay all over me? Do I get another kitty friend for him to hang with?

Any others with similar experiences?

Could be he's clingy because you are gone all day. I vote on the buddy. Although, I can't sit down without a cat on me either but then, I have four.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I thought that but even on the weekends when I am home ALL day, it doesn't change!

Doesn't matter. You are still gone most of the time.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I found a stray over the summer, and he's like that too. He actually followed me into the shower once. I have another cat, but she hates him and won't let him near her. Maybe she can smell his desperation.

1 members found this post helpful.

LOL...this is why I have GIRL kitties. The boys are tooooo needy.

Fatso, the sometimes barn kitty is like that. He is heavy enough that you know you'be been sat on and it gets uncomfortable quickly. But it just isn't boy kitties that are like that - The Spotted Wonder is probably worse because she 'needs' to be covered up when she comes to the couch, and sleeps under the blankets on the bed, whether I am there or not.

Worse, when I was moving white crap, there were two in the bedroon window one in the office window, one in the kitchen window and one in the porch window - all watching to make sure I didn't make an escape with the tractor and forget to top up the food dish.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

My barn-cat-turned-house-cat is like that, always has to be inches from me when I am home. My other cat is like that when I sit on the couch to watch TV. Both girls. The aforementioned is annoying and more dog-like in her attention whore-ness, but I can push her away and she'll lay nearby, but not on top of me. The other though scares me a bit and I have to move before she gets comfortable or else I feel trapped! I don't let them upstairs, so at least I have a place to escape to if they are being a pain. I think a big reason for their clingyness is because they used to be barn cats, out 24/7 and had a "job" and now they are solely house cats-where I live now, kinda busy and feral cats around, so I keep them in.

I would see about a buddy, a female. It sounds like you are his person, and he wants to be "on" you,maybe reminding you that you are his. My very aggressive boy lost his best friend last year (a witch, they were well suited, bless her heart). I have another cat who is male and I cannot have them together. So, I am his person, he is always with me, sleeps on me, or at my feet, taps my shoulder to play with him. If I take a bath he sleeps on the radiator right next to the tub! I think when I get him another female able to hold her own he will engage with her. good luck with your sweet kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I found a stray over the summer, and he's like that too. He actually followed me into the shower once. I have another cat, but she hates him and won't let him near her. Maybe she can smell his desperation.
    LOL I laughed out loud at the part about the shower!

Mine has been in and out of the shelter a few times and I can't figure out why. He is a gentleman, a sweetheart and has great manners. Maybe he's worried that he is going to be dumped there again? Poor guy is stuck with me!

I know what it feels like to be trapped under a big heavy cat! He's laying on my lap right now as I type!

So.... what's the problem? You can't adequately watch TV while being smothered by a cat?

I think he'll chill with time.

But I also recommend that you do the "Be careful what you wish for" exercise with him. That's right: Take a day (or more) and attach him to your hip. Show him what a PITA it is to always be in contact with a human being. Make him beg for mercy and the chance to have just 5 cotton pickin' minutes when you aren't up in his grill.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I vote for getting another kitty friend (more kittehs = more fun!!!) and enjoy the clinginess

Maybe get two more kitty friends just in case one extra isn't enough!

...cuz remember, more kitties = more fun! lol!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    Do I get another kitty friend for him to hang with?
    well duh...

Yes, get him a kitteh to hang out with. That doesn't mean he won't still want to lay on your various body parts (and really, if he's not sleeping on your head at night, you're still quite "ignored" in the grand scheme of things ) but at least SOME of the time he'll want to do kitty things with another kitty.

Yes, we have these cats. One rushes to get attention when I sit on, or even make a move towards, the toilet. Another will jump off the bed at night to lay on my feet when I get up to go. That same one jumps up on the shower wall to be thoroughly wet down - really. None of them are all over either of us all the time but amongst all 5 indoor kitties, we are never alone. Ever. And we sort of love it that way

I totally want another kitty! You guys are enablers (obviously)!

Would a female be best? Will he be angry at another kitty addition?

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    I totally want another kitty! You guys are enablers (obviously)!

Would a female be best? Will he be angry at another kitty addition?
    The sex shouldn't matter as long as you follow new cat introduction protocol.

I also have a clingy kitty. She's older (teens), and was left behind when her original owners moved. She was then cared for by another woman who also had to move and couldn't take her with her. She's a sweetheart, but as soon as I climb into bed, she is right there. On my chest, on my head, on the pillow next to my head...etc. I end up pushing her away a lot and she will go away then come back. I attribute it to abandoned cat syndrome, but I'm no cat psychologist, so don't quote me!

Have fun finding a new kitty friend!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

In my kitty experience boy cats are complete whores, especially the former toms. This is why all I have is former toms I think it's awesome.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I adopted a tortoiseshell female that was shy and very apprehensive in the shelter. I thought I'd have a pretty kitty that I could occasionally pet.

Fast forward two months and I now have the kitty that will not leave me alone while sleeping or in the bathroom, etc. She is currently on the lap. There are times I try and figure out how to sit on the couch awkwardly so she can't lay directly on top of me. But she will still get as close as possible, purring away.

Who knew how one shy cat could turn into obsessive kitteh?

Mine was also dumped at the shelter several times so maybe she is desperate for a chance to stay in one place?

I have a friend's cat that I occasionally cat-sit and she does not like him at all. Not a fan of trying to share her house with an intruder. She has mellowed out some at his staying over a few times now, but she gets clingier if anything.

Let me know what the magic un-velcro solution is if you find it!

I never noticed a gender issue with cats they all had distinct amounts independence or need of lovies. My most clingy cat was my psychotic cat Oreo but he only got to be a velcro kitty in his elderly years. I think getting another kitty is the way to go. We have two that play all the time. Our Flamepoint Siamese Vincent isn't really clingy at all. He loves my husband but he and Sage are buddies, they don't snuggle together but they do play off and on all day. I think it gives single cats confidence to have a playmate cat, they don't feel as insecure and therefore don't NEED you need you. Our other cat Sage I think would be a class five clinger if it weren't for having another cat. He's secure and so he comes and gets attention when he wants it but he's fine if we leave them all day to run errands. If we didn't have two I have no doubt he'd stress out being alone and then be all over us. Hey you could always get two more kitties..lol

Look at the bright side...you could be like me.

I moved to Cali with my cat(left his two buddies to live with family because they are theirs) and he quickly became a Stage 5 Clinger. He was driving me INSANE! Anytime I came home he HAD to sit on my chest with his head against my forehead purring for 30 minutes or he would go crazy. Every move I made was THE MOST EXCITING THING EVER!!!! It felt like dealing with a dog with separation anxiety.

I broke down and got a kitten. Now instead of a single Stage 5 Clinger, I have two Stage 4 Clingers. There is no more yowling when I come home(or some of the other more insane things) but my movement from room to room is still THE BEST THING EVER....I feel like I have my very own parade following me around.

Actually...one is currently behind my knees and the other has shoved himself under an arm. When I go to bed in a few minutes, one will immediately be under the covers wrapped around my knees again and the other will be wrapped across my stomach. lol

LOL I love this thread. I am laughing at all of your stories.

My kitty isn't big on playing. His idea of a good time is grabbing my ankles with his little arms when I run up the stairs or watching the world go by from his perch on the window sill. I am going to think a bit more about another kitty.....I am making another lifetime committment after all! Thanks for all your stories.