The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Design a feed program for my pony....or should I leave it be?

No pressure, if you don't want to go through the hassle, no worries!

I just picked up my supply of feed for the month, and yikes! Feed has really gone up in the last few months. I can certainly continue on the same track, but wondering (as I'm sure we all do) if there's a more cost-effective way to do this. Maybe there's not. Who knows!

Your subject: a 20-something Cushings pony. Needs weight. Has been slowly gaining on current regime (which makes me also think "don't reinvent the wheel")

Current diet:
    AM: just under 1 scoop (3 lb) of TC senior
    1/4 scoop of soaked alfalfa/timothy pellets
    1 scoop of Gleam and Gain 60
    1/2 prascend tab
    1 flake of grass hay (low nutritional value) - she can have as much as she wants, she only eats a flake

PM: same as above, minus the prascend

Like I said,she is doing very well on this. But, after purchasing the TC today, and paying $23/bag for it, I about choked. And I'm due to get more Gleam and Gain, so wondering if there's a better alternative out there.

What won't change:
    - Hay - at least for now. I still have quite a bit left, and I have no plans to get more hay until this runs out
    - Prascend - this is what vet recommends

What she cannot have
    - High NSC feed
    - Oils of any kind

Eventually, once she's up to a good weight, I know I can lower the TC. I don't really care so much about the pellets, I like getting all that fiber into her, and she is a picky eater, and likes the pellets.

She's tried Amplify, and though its costly, I understand you feed less of it.

Thoughts? Should I keep what I'm doing? Or am I just wasting money when I could be getting a better bang for my buck?

I would guess that the Gleam and Gain isn't actually doing a whole lot to help the pony gain weight. I think you could ditch that if you wanted to. TC Senior is about as good as it gets IMO, I wouldn't change her grain. The best thing you can do is get more hay into her. More hay=less grain, which is less expensive in the long run. You could try increasing the pellets and decreasing the Senior a bit, as I'm assuming the pellets are cheaper than the Senior.

Not cheaper but

Natures Farmacy DFM digestive supplement
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.