The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tekna S-Line Dressage saddle - smooth or suede seat?

Okay, I've decided to try one of these saddles for my Arab. I'm trying to decide whether to get the suede seat or the smooth....any experiences out there? I ride almost always in either leather or suede fullseats....would the suede seat be to too sticky? Is the smooth one too slippery ??? Any other opinions on this saddle?

I just test rode the smooth saddle this weekend and I can tell you that with leather full seats, it is so grippy that the leather was squeaking :-P
    I tried it the next day with regular clarino suede full seats (just didn't want squeaking in my lesson!) and it was still very grippy. I don't know why or how, but it is definitely NOT slippery AT ALL.
    I asked myself the same question as you when trying to figure out which test ride to get. I don't think I would like the suede seat as it would trap me too much.

Other opinions: the test ride was a 17.5 and I was originally looking for a 17. The 17.5 was a perfect fit for me (I'm about 5'3" but about 18" from hip to knee so I"m kind of long in the femur.)
    I immediately put my stirrups down 2 holes from what I ride with in my Neidersuss Symphonie (also 17.5 but feels too big for me now and doesn't fit my horse who is very short coupled which is why I'm looking for a new saddle).
    My trainer removed the removable knee rolls after about 5 minutes of riding. It was much better and the knee pads that were left was just right for support.
    Pretty easy to change the gullet after the first time...the first time I needed a clamp to release the tension off of the "screws" for the gullet plate. Every change after that was much easier.

Hope this helps!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

As Drama Pony Misty's instructor ( howdy! ) I will chip in my $.02:
    I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of this saddle. I also immediately noticed the sensitivity of the horse to DPM's movements. The smooth surface felt just like leather so I think it will ride just like leather. I really liked her seat position, especially after I ripped the knee rolls off. ( that was oddly satisfying, TBH )

I have another student looking for a new saddle and I will definitely have her think about these. And FWIW, I am a very set in my ways girl, I have Passiers and Stubbens and have owned nothing else for 20+ years and I always advocate the more open, shallow seat with minimal knee rolls and balanced seats. I was very pleasantly surprised.
    bad decisions make good stories

I just tried my new Tekna dressage saddle on my Tb today. Worked out pretty well. I got the suede seat since I am not the worlds best rider
    I did read the warranty packet After riding in it...made in China, the mecca of saddle making....oh well. I still like it and for where we are at, it's very workable.

I too had to lower my stirrups and will probably ditch the extra knee rolls. Looking forward to taking a lesson in it.

I have one with a suede seat. I like it. I didn't not try the smooth seat, so cannot compare, but I do not find the suede too sticky.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I have ridden in the Tekna jump saddle, did not find it slippery at all. I thought the saddle was really well balanced and well made for the money. Unless I am mistaken, they are built on a Prestige tree.

I've been eyeing the S-line for awhile...
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I am looking to buy one of these for my Arab gelding who requires a curved tree (other makes that fit him are Prestige and some Passiers). My understanding is that the S-line tree is not exactly the same as the old A8 tree, which was the Prestige tree, but I hope it is close enough as the A8s don't appear to be anywhere to be found (not in the size I need anyway).

Where can I order one that has a good demo program?
    MelanieC * Canis soloensis

Have you read through this thread? lots of great information from jn4jenny
    (as usual )

Charlotte's Saddlery seems to still have a good selection of the A line

1 members found this post helpful.

jn4 is definitely the saddle guru, and the one who originally turned me on to the Teknas!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I just took a barely used Tekna A8 Dressage saddle as partial trade for one I had for sale. I like it a lot, but if I had the choice and was buying new, I would definitely go with a smooth seat. The suede is a little too grippy for my taste, and it collects dust and dirt like you wouldnt believe!

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieC View Post
    I am looking to buy one of these for my Arab gelding who requires a curved tree (other makes that fit him are Prestige and some Passiers). My understanding is that the S-line tree is not exactly the same as the old A8 tree, which was the Prestige tree, but I hope it is close enough as the A8s don't appear to be anywhere to be found (not in the size I need anyway).

Where can I order one that has a good demo program?

Try http://www.actionridertack.com/ . They have a great trial program and I believe they carry the full Tekna range. Candy is great to work with!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.