The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ice Road Truckers - somewhat horse related

They (you know the they that make serious decisions) have called in Polar Industries to ship hay from Saskatchewan to Ontario. While the truckers were silly enough to travel in the nasty 3 day storm, the story is still pretty neat.
    http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...083/story.html
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

1 members found this post helpful.

That's a cool story. I'm surprised Lisa didn't do the haul since she has a horse. I guess the couple with a newbie driver makes for better TV.

Love IRT!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Lisa is in AK not Canada. That might be why she didn't make the run.

Wasn't the Polar Industries the crazy team, Rick with blue hair and the loud obnoxious one? Hugh! The team that tore up and destroyed half their truck, trailers and loads? LOL

I don't think they're working for P.I. any more; I'd be worried about the hay getting dumped all in the ditch if they hauled my hay!

cbm - Obnoxious and dangerous Hugh and blue-haired Rick drove for Polar last winter, don't know about this year, isn't any ice yet. Last winter was tough for Polar since there wasn't much ice with the warm winter and they do run all year round, although not to the northern communities.

As to Lisa, I think she couldn't cut it and, at any rate, Alaska is a LOOOONG ways from here. Polar Industries is just a few hours away in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There have been hundreds of loads of feed taken from SE Saskatchewan, going both to the States and down east. Polar is just one of dozens of companies and private haulers making the runs

I thought they quit Polar at the end of last season after throwing a hissy fit. No matter who he works for I wouldn't want him hauling my hay or driving my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    Lisa is in AK not Canada. That might be why she didn't make the run.
    Ahhh....good point!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I thought they quit Polar at the end of last season after throwing a hissy fit. No matter who he works for I wouldn't want him hauling my hay or driving my truck.
    Did you already see the one filmed last winter? The winter that wasn't at least in these parts and Hugh was turned back at several crossings and Rick was sick from mice in his truck?

Oh, and forgot to thank you for three days of whitecrap.ROFLMAO What a MESS we got, close to two feet of snow. BLECH!!! Assuming this was Winter Storm Brutal...er Brutus?

Apart from Lisa being in Alaska, she worked for Carlile, not Polar Industries. Hugh and Rick are still working for Polar Industries, and I might be mistaken but does Hugh not have part ownership in PI?
    Either way, the Hay East campaign stopped here last week, and I think many people are very thankful for it!

It sounds like Hugh does have an interest in Polar now.

I didnt realise the hay shipments had stopped........

Yep, we saw the season where Rick didn't notice his truck was infested with mice (dude, stop smoking so much! LOL) and where Hugh had a big blow up with the boys in the office over contracts and walked out, it appeared to me that had dissolved the partnership but I have to confess I am usually half asleep by the end of the show. LOL

Yeah, that was quite a load a whitecrap!

We aren't that far into the season yet so where we are sitting, Rick is still off work and Hugh hijacked the mechanic into driving. Will see what happens tonight.Did some googling and apparently Hugh doesnt need to work anyways, listed as net worth over 2 mill.

My yard is still a bit of a mess, supposed to warm up tomorrow and the whitecrap will roll up into giant snowballs and be easier to clear. AND the horse can go out too, and quit being a giant PITA.

Whoops, you should have told me you haven't seen it all! Spoilers!

Hugh doesnt need to work anyways, listed as net worth over 2 mill.
    You can be worth a lot on paper, but have to work your butt off to pay your bills. It doesn't translate to liquidity and cash in the bank.

I am glad to know IRT is coming back, and thanks for the hints. I only pay attention to Alex anyway.

I'm sure Lisa is doing just fine and continuing to drive when she isn't riding her horse. Bringing the mini in the house was cute, too.
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

cbm - not to worry, I will have forgotten it all by the time the show is on tomorrow.....hell, I cant even remember what day it is on without the channel guide

Pat9 - Alex is my favourite too and I hate the rare episode he isn't on. Would actually like to find his book and read it. I know net worth isn't often worht the paper it's written on but I think these guys are all pretty well compensated.

"Highway through Hell" is a new one about the Coquihalla here in BC - we watch it beause we routinely travel tht road in the summer, but in winter it is a different story. It is fun watching it, though, recognizing the trucks, and the area and seeing wht they have to contend with in the winter. There are cameras up there so we can be forewarned and not go anywhere stupid with the horses.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

That is cool. I don't watch regularly but I enjoy what I do catch from time to time. Sometimes it just looks like my daily commute into the city

White crap came a little early for me this year but at least the snow covered up the frozen rutted mud that was making me insane. Much easier to push a wheelbarrow full of hay through a foot of snow than over frozen mud ruts! Hardly any rain all summer and then it has to rain for a few days before freeze up?

So do I dare put away the rubber boots or is that just going to make all the snow melt?
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Aaaahhh, Mozart, that's what prairie falls are always about: bone dry, pouring buckets and a hard freeze, then whitecrap. The only blessing about the whitecrap is that I bring in pails of it to top up the indoor water storage rather than drag pails upstairs. One old freezer, a tank of water and a stock tank de-icer, then regular additions of white crap keep the horse and barn cats hydrated.
    Yeah!!! Put those danged rubber boots away!!!! I need help here from a chinook!!!

I adore that show.. Has the new season started?? I watched last season and Lisa was not on it anymore. What did I miss. Dang!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.