The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tony Slatter dressage saddle

What is everyones thoughts on tony slatter dressage saddles? I found one for sale thats in good shape, needs a couple very minor repairs, that I'v already priced as being cheap easy fixes at the local saddle shop. It is at a really really good price BUT I won't be able to fit it to my horse before buying. UGH soo I thought since it is such a good price I might buy it and if it don't fit just resell, but if there is no chance of it fitting would pass it by. Or if they are unpopular or not a very easy saddle to re sell would just keep searching.

I've been doing a little research and seen they are typically made for wider horses? The horse I am needing a new saddle for is a large TB, not at all narrow a bigger built guy and looks more like a warmblood than a TB. I have a very narrow saddle right now and it is way too narrow for him, but I also have an extra wide saddle that is just way too wide.

Whats everyones thoughts? Are these popular saddles? If it don't fit is there a market for them?
    ride like you have never ate the dirt

Had a very large QH here with exactly the fit problem you describe. My narrow or medium Tudor was too just too narrow and my wide County was too wide. THe gullet fit with the Tudor but not the shoulders Shoulders fit with the County but not the gullet. The T Slater fit perfectly. It was not very expensive however. If yours needs repair it may be worth only about $150 at least in my area. In your area it might be different.

Very pleasant saddle for me to ride in but this one had no thigh blocks and was almost as minimal as an old Passier.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Dont know if this will help - I had a TS custom-fitted back in the 90's for my big Dutch boy. It was very minimally padded as horsefaerie said, and my seat was hard. It fit my beast well, so I toughed it out, adding a gel seat saver. Next saddle (Neidersuss) was a revelation in comfort.

That said, a couple of friends (with a Morgan and a big TB) got one at the same time and they found theirs fairly comfy...til we all got Neidersusses. While I missed the closer contact of the T S, I liked the position the KN put me in. I'd try to ride in it before buying.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Lovey, love your sig line.

THere are 2 on Ebay right now $300 best offer and $400 best offer, the first one cane be taken on trial. Second one looks like a jumping saddle.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I have one...no knee rolls, my saddle fitter has patched it everywhere possible but it still keeps going. It has been great for our wider horses, but especially so for the wide, straight backed horse-except now his back has really started developing so it is time to start shipping for him again. I was skeptical about the TS in the beginning since there isn't a whole lot of saddle there, but it really is quite secure.