The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Some liquid with manure.

Both my pony and my TB have normal looking poops for the most part. But they both have a tendancy to have a little liquid that expels when they go. They are both wormed regularly, they both have grass mix hay and they both get a digestion supplement. I know my horse has had this issue for at least two years now. The pony is new to me, but her previous owners said they tried a number of things for her (biosponge...sandclear...powerpak) and nothing seemed to make a difference. They are both in good weight and eat and drink normally. Teeth done regularly. The hay isn't super rich hay....good midline mix. No grass, they are on dry lots.

I am going to talk it over with my vets when they come out for shots, but I thought I would see if anyone has any insight...similar experience??

The extra liquid I see with manure means they have taken in a lot of moisture. To me that is almost always a VERY GOOD THING! Sometimes what horse eats will add more moisture to what horse drinks, so poop goes on into being sloppy manure. Common on most grazing animals, especially during spring grazing times with new grass being made of so much water.

I get more excited seeing very dry poop balls, especially in winter months. My horse may need to be drinking more water, so I take steps to get the liquid intake increased. Dry poop balls to me are SERIOUS.

1 members found this post helpful.

For one of my horses the extra liquid is a sign of too much sand in the gut. Have you tested their poop?

Wink

Doesn't sound abnormal at all. I too am more concerned about dry manure balls.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My gelding gets little squirts sometimes - and sometimes big ones - but it would expel even without poop sometimes. Giving him Probios daily has helped incredibly. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him and he's regularly dewormed.

How bad is it?

I had one who had streaks from his anus to his fetlocks on both legs. In my search for the cause I talked to several people who had similar issues. The poo balls themselves were normal, nicely hydrated, held their shape (maybe breaking open on impact), - it was just there was an excessive amount of liquid with it (sometimes without it).

In one case the animal was reacting to alfalfa - removed the alfalfa from the diet and poof, problem solved.

In another case the animal was reacting to flax - removed the flax from the diet and poof, problem solved.

In another case the horse had encysted strongyles and was reacting to some stage of burrowing in or out. It took a while to correct, but after 9 months or so the problem was pretty much gone. BTW this horse was dewormed regularly and fecal tested a couple of times a year. He just seemed to be attractive to worms.

In other cases the horse's problem was not specifically identified, but a hindgut buffer was added to the feed and the problem was gone. In most of those cases the hindgut buffer was discontinued after six months and the problem didn't return.

In another case the horse had right dorsal colitis, and removing hay from the diet allowed the horse to heal and eventually it went back on hay without a repeat of the problem.

In another case the horse had to have a probiotic added to each grain feed and the problem went away.

Mine was the wormy one. I tried the flax thing, the probiotic thing, the hindgut buffer thing, investigated the right dorsal colitis thing, changed his diet completely, and tried a bunch of other potential cures. It took a while and a biopsy to come to the worm thing because he'd been on a monitored deworming program. Then it took a long time for his gut to heal. But it did.

3 members found this post helpful.

Can you please tell me what a hindgut buffer is?

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarmette View Post
    Can you please tell me what a hindgut buffer is?
    The one I used is EquiShure by Kentucky Equine Research. It is essentially baking soda (I think soda) coated in a fat so that it doesn't do it's reaction thing (reduces acidity I think) until it reaches the hindgut. Without the coating it would do it's thing in the stomach. It's supposed to help where the horse has ulcers or irritation in the hindgut (the excess liquid with the manure can be a sign of hindgut irritation). The 1.3kg tub was freaking expensive - the 7.5kg bucket hugely less so. And the enclosed scoop held rather more of the product (by weight) than the label advised. I found a scoop from something else that neatly held the right amount. If I recall correctly the recommended dosage was 30-90gms per day.