The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Are you in a flood risk area? If so, do you take any special steps to protect the tanks, pumps, and feed lines?

G.
    This is Colorado. What's a flood?

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I am sorry to disagree.
    For a whole house, all electric, that would be about right for around 2000 to 2500 square feet, standard medium sized house.

Any less and you need to cut down on what you are using, which is fine also.

Our 10K was only servicing the mere basics in our house with propane heat, was not enough once we went all electric.
    Electric furnace heat strips are greedy.

Our portable welder is also a gasoline 10K generator.
    That is what we used, before we bought a real generator with a transfer panel.
    "K" is short for 1,000, not Kilo

The real benefit of propane over gasoline, regardless of the size of the generator, is that it won't gum up a carburetor if it sits without running for a long time.

We run about what you are talking about running. We've needed to twice in 31 years for several days each. I just use a gasoline generator, and keep a spare carburetor. I had to put on the spare carb for Irene to get it to run. I ran the gas out of the generator when I put it back up, but ordered another spare carb.

After you decide on size & portable vs Fixed

Common Fuels in order of preference to me...

Natural gas, no storage issues, unlimited supply
    Propane Doesn't age or gum, limited supply
    Diesel, storage issues, limited supply
    Gasoline, storage issues, limited supply

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    "K" is short for 1,000, not Kilo

The real benefit of propane over gasoline, regardless of the size of the generator, is that it won't gum up a carburetor if it sits without running for a long time.

We run about what you are talking about running. We've needed to twice in 31 years for several days each. I just use a gasoline generator, and keep a spare carburetor. I had to put on the spare carb for Irene to get it to run. I ran the gas out of the generator when I put it back up, but ordered another spare carb.
    I know that, but thank you.

I was multitasking and missed the obvious, did I.

Those with portable gasoline ones, do you run them once a month for an hour or so?
    That is what we do with ours, if we are are not using it regularly for welding.
    We never had a problem with it not running well, as long as we do that.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Ours sometimes doesn't get started for years. That's why I keep a spare carburetor. We have way too many things with motors to start them every month. I do try to will all the small equipment, because those small carburetors need it, but for the generator, it gets used so infrequently that it really takes less time to just get it running when we need it. I don't think we used it at all between hurricanes Fran and Irene.

I run all the gas out of the carburetor, empty the tank, pull the plug and coat the cylinder with oil, but as long as I have a new carb on the shelf, I know I can get it running. It does get stored in a dry, completely closed building.

Propane, I put a propane generator in at my home and installed one at the farm.

Much less fumes and if there are long periods between use, I think propane is better than gas or diesel.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875