The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Short Course" with Eventing Trainer in NC/SC/VA Area?

I am planning way ahead, but I have a week off in March, and I thought it would be fun to do a "short course" with an eventing trainer in my area (Central NC - willing to travel about 4 hours). Ideally, I would bring my horse to their barn, and receive a lesson each day as well as being able to watch lessons/help out in any way I can. Pony is a green but willing OTTB (and will hopefully be less green by then! ), and I have experience as working student/groom for dressage and eventing trainers.

Anyone have ideas about trainers who might be open to this type of thing? I was also thinking, since it would be early March, some of the northern trainers might still be in the Aiken/Southern Pines area - when do they usually move back up North?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You might consider the Southern Pines Adult Rider camp which is March 3-8 http://www.southernpinesadultcamp.com. If that doesn't work with your schedule, I think many trainers would be open to this. Certainly Sally Cousins, who is typically still in Aiken then has many people coming to do this type of thing www.sallycousins.com and has a lot of green horses, does shows, schooling, lessons, etc. Becky Holder also invites people to come do something like this http://grind001.wix.com/teamholder#!vstc0=training. I'm sure many others would welcome something like this, but these two stand out as offering a lot of hands on attention for adult amateur riders (and with Sally, you can also groom for her as she does her upper level horses, which is added fun).
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I ride with Sally Cousins up here and I agree she would be awesome. I was just looking at the Aiken info she sends out and drooling-- maybe next year.

Cool

Caroline McClung (Atherholt-Dowd) hands down! 4**** rider, Badminton, Rolex-has her farm with XC jumps in Eagle Rock, VA about 30 minutes south of the VA Horse Center. Definatley know you can bring your horse down and has an apt on the premises.

Text her at 540-960-1307. She is AWESOME!!!

Wow thanks for all the names so far! Will definitely follow up with these Unfortunately the Southern Pines adult camp doesn't work as I have the following week off, otherwise that would have been a great option!

Any more recommendations? TIA!
    Last edited by ens0613; Nov. 12, 2012 at 01:26 PM.

There are plenty of folks who live in SoPines. Bobby Costello, Lauren and David O'Brien, Denny should still be there in March, Charlie and Michael Plumb (diff't farms), Mari Secrist (not a BNT, but great facility and very generous and fun to work with), Mark Weissbecker, I'm sure I'm forgetting some. But all of those you can just pick up the phone and call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Becky Holder also invites people to come do something like this http://grind001.wix.com/teamholder#!vstc0=training.
    #$!#@$! You tell me that Becky is in MY state now four days before the surgery that's going to put me out of commission for months??? Cruel, Seema, just cruel! I will certainly put this in the binder for next year though -- I did a clinic with her in 2010 and it was PHENOMENAL and I am super picky. She is an incredible instructor and the most gracious, intelligent, kind, and generous person. I run into her at events from time to time and it's always a pleasant encounter. I would sell an arm to ride with her again!

Quote Originally Posted by ens0613 View Post
    I am planning way ahead, but I have a week off in March, and I thought it would be fun to do a "short course" with an eventing trainer in my area (Central NC - willing to travel about 4 hours). Ideally, I would bring my horse to their barn, and receive a lesson each day as well as being able to watch lessons/help out in any way I can. Pony is a green but willing OTTB (and will hopefully be less green by then! ), and I have experience as working student/groom for dressage and eventing trainers.

Anyone have ideas about trainers who might be open to this type of thing? I was also thinking, since it would be early March, some of the northern trainers might still be in the Aiken/Southern Pines area - when do they usually move back up North?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I recommend contacting Holly Hudspeth at Equiventure in Rougemont, NC. I bet she can work something out with you and the property is great for training all 3 phases.

Eric Dierks has a wonderful operation going, def check him out, his lessons rock.

Stephen Bradley often has people come to his place for mini-camps throughout the year. Mid-March he may or may not still be in Aiken, so you'll have to check with him. http://www.stephensbradley.com/STEPH.../SERVICES.html
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Thanks all so much for your advice! Now to do my homework and contact everyone

Quote Originally Posted by EnzoDbr9 View Post
    Eric Dierks has a wonderful operation going, def check him out, his lessons rock.
    Eric is an amazing teacher! Second the recommendation.
    http://www.ericdierks.com/

Default Event Camp

Apple Tree Farm South in Aiken does an adult event camp March 18-22. Great group of people with horses of all levels. 2 lessons per day, xc schooling, SJ practice, pace work etc. Info at www.appletreefarm.org. If the dates don't work people can come other times as well!

OOPS! Editing because I thought I was quoting the post about the Adult camp in Southern Pines at which Denny is the main trainer. (WTF is it with the quote feature??)

I have not attended, but I hear that it is wonderful. Denny is the chief organizer and teaches a lot of the sessions. He also gets other BNT's in for different days. And the ladies all have a ball being with each other.

Apply early. I think it fills up fast.
    Last edited by Lord Helpus; Nov. 17, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."