The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting costs for fixing well (water well)

Our well went kaput this weekend. My other half called someone out on Saturday who said it was either the electric box on the well and would cost around $500 or that the entire pump may be bad and that would cost around $2,000.

We have a deep well that has never run dry in 12 years (even when leaving the hose on over night), and we have an 'in ground' pump (with a cement slab).

He's coming back out today with the electrical box to try that first. I told a friend of mine and she says her well has gone out a few times and it was a fuse (or something to that effect) that her landlord had the plumber out to replace (and it didn't cost $500).

I'm just trying to get a bit of intel before the well guy gets here (you know, so I feel empowered, lol).

Just looking for people's experiences and pricing for well repairs.

~K
    Last edited by Starting-Point-Stables; Nov. 12, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

We have spent $2,000 for a new well pump. I think they are supposed to last 15 years.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm.... we had the deep well pump *and* all the pipe and wiring replaced for around $1800 a couple of years ago. I think it's around 135' down.

$2k sounds high for just the pump, but it may just be that your well is deeper and/or needs a bigger pump than we needed. Price some of the pumps online and have them break the quote down into materials and labor.

When ours died it was because it had been banging around inside the well casing and had worn through the electrical cable, shorting it out.

There should be 'bumpers' at intervals down the pipe so that when the torque of the pump wants to shift the pipe around, it can't rub on the walls of the well.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

We just had to have our pump replaced. The well is around 600' deep and the pump is at around 525'. The wire also needed to be replaced because it was really abraded in quite a few spots. Bill was right around $5000.

We have a leak somewhere in the system and the constant cycling is what ruined the pump. We are rather frantically tracking down the leak to get it dealt with before winter really sets in.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

OMG CDE Driver - I am wishing you all the luck in the world tracking that down.

Ok, I won't fret at $2K.

Our is going on 12 - 13 years old. It was initially installed for the house and the barn (the pressure tanks are under the house) but our water was high in iron and staining our appliances, clothing etc. So after the first month we got county water for the house and the well has just been for the barn.

I don't recall hearing our well cycling when the hose isn't on somewhere (I have to walk by the well twice a day to feed horses, so hopefully I would have noticed it at some point).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed... and of course the service man is over an hour late for our appointment. :-\ *sigh*

Well (no pun intended) it cost us $509.75 to have the electric box replaced on the pump.

I'm grateful for that. What I did find annoying though is, they charged us $195 to come out the first time (spent all of 15 minutes out here) for 'labor' and a trip call. Then charged me another $45.00 trip call and 2 hours of labor when they had it done with in the hour. When I questioned this they said "We had to drive to pick up the pump. If we didn't pick it up this morning but had it delivered, we wouldn't have been able to fix it this morning."

I guess for anyone else needing something like this and it isn't an emergency... I could have saved myself $95 of plumber labor time had I gone and picked up this pump myself or opted to just have it delivered and set the appointment when it arrived. But they never offered me that option. :-\

And to top it off they were an hour and 20 minutes late for their 8:00 am appointment.

Lesson learned. Ask about that in the future.

My well pump went this summer...it was original to the house, so about 25 years old...new pump cost $2200, and is expected to last 15 years.
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

My pump went out a couple weeks ago. Right now I'm watering off my city water connection. I'm trying to decide whether it's better just to pay the extra for city water or to get the pump working. Even $500 will buy a lot of city water.

StG

We had to have the well guys come last summer, after the ground around the wellhead got VERY WET. Turned out to be some fittings that had gone bad. He dug up the wellhead, quite the precision person with the bucket of the backhoe! Parts weren't much though they did spend about an hour in the 5ft hole. Then neatly filled the hole back in, but somehow there was a LOT more dirt than he started with! Made a large pile beside the wellhead, that I eventually turned into a berm with the rototiller and planted bushes, plants on. That came out nice!

The whole deal cost about $500. Included the parts, preliminary visit to view the wet wellhead that took about 15 minutes, him explaining what he thought was failure of simple parts. Then they came back the second day with the second man driving the truck with backhoe, and them doing the actual work. They were here a couple hours total. Moving backhoe took a semi truck, not cheap to drive around, the time of the other man working, driving to my house and back to the business place when finished. Backhoe driver was excellent, no extra torn up, very precise at digging and refilling the hole. Better than I could have done!

So I figured it was worth the money. They were right out when called for the look-see visit. Then back the next day to fix things. Well wasn't out of service, just really mucky around the wellhead. Got is fixed in a short time. We got excellent service from them, skilled at their work. Same folks who dug this well for us a while back.

If you don't like the folks who did your well work, call someone else next time. We chose our guys because they have an excellent reputation, do good work, which doesn't come cheaply.
    We don't have city water, so having a working well is VERY important.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

When I put our pump (submersible) in, I attached a stainless cable (sailboat) to the pump. It goes down the depth of the pump, and has a cable pulley on it at the top attached to a short chain. There is a stopper on the cable that prevents it from going back down through the pulley. Beyond the pulley is about 6' of the same cable with an eye on the end large enough to tie a rope to. All that stays above the well seal and rolled around inside the pipe and cover around the well head.

To pull the pump, I attach the chain connected to the pulley to the chain hook on my loader bucket. I tie a strong rope (5/8 Stable Braid) to the eye and to my truck. The bucket is lifted straight over the well head. The truck pulls the pump up.

I just let the old PVC break all to pieces as it comes up. It gets brittle with age, and by the time the pump wears out, I'd just as soon change it anyway. PVC pipe is cheap.

Our pump is at about 150'.

The last time I changed it 2 or 3 years ago, I just went to Lowes and bought a new one. The new pipe bends easily enough that a couple of guys can keep the loop up, while I ease it back down with the truck.

Total cost, maybe 400 bucks for a new pump and pipe. The most time is the drive to town and back to get the new pump.

I dont' like to have to do things over, but some things are going to require it at some point. Plan in advance.

I'm ordering one of these, since the Lowes pumps have very bad reviews. Since we'll have this for backup, the Lowes pump will probably last for 15 years.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-HP-GRUND...=item1c1308806
    Last edited by Tom King; Nov. 14, 2012 at 07:58 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Anyone planning on a new well water system, look at these. This is what I would use now if we were putting a well in now. We may even change over. I just had to put in a new pressure switch today. It turned out not to be the switch, but the original installer had used a galvanized riser, which had completely clogged from being here for 32 years. I switched it out to a brass riser, and it's back working.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRUNDFOS-10S...=item1c4284b57
    Last edited by Tom King; Nov. 30, 2012 at 08:37 AM.

We live in TX and have had the well go out a couple of times do to fire ants clogging the connection at the base of the well and causing it to short out and shut off, however, last fall...it went kaput, and it was around 2500, plus they added that shut-off system should it run and run due to leaks or just forgetting to shut off the water...bummer.

I've heard of insects fouling pressure switches around here several times, even though we don't have fire ants. At one house I was working on a wasp met his end between the contacts in the pressure switch preventing the well from coming on. The last person who had worked on the well didn't put the cover back on the pressure switch. I removed the crispy wasp, and it's been working since. I put the cover back on, so that shouldn't be a problem again.

Also, I've seen a pressure switch put in without Romex connectors on each side where the wires enter. If it was assembled correctly to start with, there should be no trouble with insects-one of the reasons I like to do things myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    I've heard of insects fouling pressure switches around here several times, even though we don't have fire ants. At one house I was working on a wasp met his end between the contacts in the pressure switch preventing the well from coming on. The last person who had worked on the well didn't put the cover back on the pressure switch. I removed the crispy wasp, and it's been working since. I put the cover back on, so that shouldn't be a problem again.

Also, I've seen a pressure switch put in without Romex connectors on each side where the wires enter. If it was assembled correctly to start with, there should be no trouble with insects-one of the reasons I like to do things myself.
    That happenned to use back home. Large black wood ants, fried right on the contacts, which were glazed over with crispy ant...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com