The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should I Buy This Durango?

Today I looked at this Durango, I liked it and it seems to be what I need (and they are going to work on the price a bit). It is the V8 with the Hemi and it had a hitch on the back with the electric plug for the trailer. I just want to be 100% sure that this can pull a 2 horse Trail-et w/ dressing room.

It is part of a used car sale so the salesman did not usually sell trucks, he assured me it had the factory installed hitch, but I can't find where it says that on the Carfax. It did have a hitch, but I have seen people here say it had to be the factory installed one. I may just be acting paranoid, but this is a big purchase for me and I want to be sure I am doing the right thing. A lot of people I know have these and love them. Sorry for being such a worry wort, but I don't want a trailer accident.

http://www.hoffmanauto.com/used/Dodg...3105832cfe.htm
    Impossible is nothing.

If the specs there are right (5.7L V8 Hemi with 3.55 rear axle ratio) then it has a tow capacity of 7200 lbs., assuming it has the factory installed tow package.

You need the 3.92 rear axle ratio with factory installed tow package to get the 8750 lb. tow capacity in the 2005.

So, the answer is it depends on what the Trail-et weighs, and how much total cargo you intend to put in (horses + everything in trailer + all people and stuff in the car - 150 lbs. for driver). You don't want to get too close to the maximum either (~80%).

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Joiedevie, the 7200 lbs should still be good (just one horse and the trailer is about 3500). I am going to talk to the dealer and be positive that the tow package is the factory installed one. Thanks for the input though! I did not realize about the rear axle ratio!
    Impossible is nothing.

Having had to tow with a Durango once...and it had the big 5.9 engine and tow package....all I can say is never again. This was one average sized horse in an aluminum Featherlite trailer. It was a three hour, white knuckle trip. No way was that enough vehicle. Every semi that passed us pushed that rig, and I did not feel safe at all.
    Just for info purposes, as a retired pro trainer, I have pulled all sorts of rigs from large to small all over the US for about thirty years, so it's not like I'm inexperienced. Unfortunately, the newbie farm owner was, and he's one of those guys who is always right, even if it's dangerous. I told him after that trip that I would quit before I'd drive that pairing again.

Depends on how far you are hauling also, and what kind of terrain.

I've pulled a similar trailer with a little Chevy Blazer, and back in PC my mom hauled a 2H steel trailer with a Jeep Cherokee. Neither of these options were very safe, just how it used to be done. The Durango will be better than both of those.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default Walk away

A Durango is not really a good vehicle to tow a horse trailer with.

And they get absolutely the worst gas mileage of any SUV. Really.

I could be wrong, but that may be an add-on hitch receiver. You'd have to look under the rear of the vehicle to be sure. A factory hitch is usually integrated with the whole bumper arrangement. In current models, it's "in" the bumper identically to my Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. I'm not sure on these older generation Durangos, however.

I do tow a 2h BP with my Grand Cherokee Summit (has V8 and factory towing for 7200 lbs) but my trailer is 2000 lbs empty so I'm under 5000 lbs with both horses. I opted not to go with a DR trailer due to weight.
    Last edited by Jim_in_PA; Nov. 12, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
    I do tow a 2h BP with my Cherokee (has V8 and factory towing for 7200 lbs) but my trailer is 2000 lbs empty so I'm under 5000 lbs with both horses. I opted not to go with a DR trailer due to weight.
    No, you tow with your GRAND Cherokee. Very different animal. I know you knew what you were saying, but with all the towing newbies on this board it pays to be clear!

Thanks for the reminder, GoFor'. I edited it accordingly.

Get the VIN number, visit a service manager at a Dodge dealer and they can
    look up all the factory installed info for you.

Thanks for all the replies! Gave me some stuff to think about!
    Impossible is nothing.

Shorter wheel base than trailer = wag the dog.

You could get away with it w/o the dressing room, but with is a heartache.