The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Two Horses and Dog Die in Arizona Train/Horse Trailer Collision

The guy hauling with his truck made it across. Read his excuses. Really?? Two horses and a dog paid the price. Photo of the trailer at the link.

http://www.cvrnews.com/main.asp?Sect...rticleID=56074
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That is awful. I've also never heard of dogs in horse trailers; usually they ride up in the truck?

On the other side of my town is a railroad crossing. Over the summer, a car was hit by a train, despite a flagger and gates being down. The guy just didn't want to wait, so he went through and escaped with minor injuries. The train had been slowing down to stop to allow passengers on (it's a commuter train stop, not a freight train stop), but it had skipped that station he would have died.

People are just very, VERY dumb sometimes.

How does one "not hear" the train whistle blowing? The guy was driving with fogged windows and apparently fogged hearing...

Sigh... #DarwinismFail...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

the trailer disconnected from the truck?!? Does anyone thing the chains were not attached and it was just on the ball??

The guy could not afford them anymore and decided to 'get rid of them' I bet. Crazy way to do it, but he did it.

I'm sure I'll hear more about it when I go into work this morning. I am told we have an injured dog, a transfer, coming in from a local vet clinic. It's quite possible that it is this guy's injured dog. I work at the County shelter/humane society. Considering this guy's age and knowing a lot of ranchers in the area, it's actually quite conceivable that he didn't hear the train. It's also not too surprising to read that the dogs were in the trailer with the horses. In inclement weather it's common for people to throw their dogs in the trailer as opposed to allowing them in the cab especially if they're ranch dogs. We had snow and rain over the weekend; so, weather & visibility were poor at that time in the morning. There are no lights, no guard rails/gates or any thing really other than a train track which you have to drive up and over to get to the other side. It's a shame but all I can hope for now is that the horses and dog died quickly.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    the trailer disconnected from the truck?!? Does anyone thing the chains were not attached and it was just on the ball??

The guy could not afford them anymore and decided to 'get rid of them' I bet. Crazy way to do it, but he did it.
    Far more likely the magnitude of the impact broke the chains. Just look at the damage to the trailer in the article photo. If the frame of the trailer is that mangled, the chains were toast with the initial impact.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I'm glad the guy is ok. I'm not going to second guess not hearing the whistle...older gent in his 70's, iced up windows with poor visibility. Most of us have driven at one time or another in not so ideal conditions and most of us have been lucky. I'm sure the guy feels awful. And stupid.

I have, on occasion, had the dogs in the trailer in their crate. My truck does not have a crew cab so sometimes they get displaced.

It is also surprisingly possible to not hear a train whistle. A kid a year above me in middle school (he was in 7th grade) got hit by a train and killed. He and some friends decided to play on the tracks at the local trainstation and when the train came he did not have enough time to get out. You can ask yourself a thousand times "Well, why didn't he just go under the platform?" or "Why didn't he just stand on the northbound tracks while that train passed?" but apparently when you are actually on the tracks it is less easy to make perfect decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I'm glad the guy is ok. I'm not going to second guess not hearing the whistle...older gent in his 70's, iced up windows with poor visibility. Most of us have driven at one time or another in not so ideal conditions and most of us have been lucky. I'm sure the guy feels awful. And stupid.
    See, here's the thing. When I drive in bad conditions and cross railroad crossings, I STOP AND ROLL THE WINDOWS DOWN before I cross. It only takes a second and it might save your life.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    See, here's the thing. When I drive in bad conditions and cross railroad crossings, I STOP AND ROLL THE WINDOWS DOWN before I cross. It only takes a second and it might save your life.
    Absolutely! Heck, I do that no matter the weather. Seriously, there is no excuse for not taking a few seconds to help ensure safety.

ETA: I do this at RR crossings that have no warning lights/gates, etc., and rely strictly on sight/sound.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Well, a.) the kid from grade school didn't have any windows between his ears and the train and he still got hit, and

b.) not every truck has power windows. I guess in all of your best practices in trailering you have never had to actually lean all the way across a Dodge Ram 2500 and wheel the passenger side window down, huh? I am 6' tall so I can tell you unless you people are 6'6" your wee arm ain't gone reach.

I think it makes people feel better to imagine themselves being perfect so that they can go on their lives convinced it will never happen to them. When Christopher Reeve fell everyone wanted to find a way to discuss how he rode bad or was too inexperienced or had a bad trainer or whatever, so that they could think it wouldn't happen to THEM. In reality, Christopher Reeve rode fine for the level he was at, had a perfectly decent horse in a perfectly fine program and sh*t happens no matter how perfect you are.

7 members found this post helpful.

If my windows are iced over I don't leave the driveway until they are clear. Common sense and basic safety.

5 members found this post helpful.

We had a young boy in our small town that rode his bike directly past dozens of stopped vehicles, the flashing traffic sign, and a flashing pedestrian stop sign right INTO a moving train. He literally hit the train-my husband was there and saw the boy go by though he was spared seeing the impact, unlike a family friend that did.

Boy took that route home from school every day, just had a moment of inattention...

I used to have to cross tracks every time I went to town and I know on two occasions the drop gate and lights did not work-I could see the train coming but none of the alarms went off at all. Nothing is perfect. Those uncontrolled crossings are scary and lots can go wrong.

I don't know what was going on in that truck enough to kick someone else around for it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    If my windows are iced over I don't leave the driveway until they are clear. Common sense and basic safety.
    And the law. In most states, anyways, including mine.

What are we all railing about? Yes, horrible accident, but there is nothing else that can be done about it. He was fined by the department to the extent he could be, and most likely will get sued by the train...um...owner? corporation? for damages to the engine and any cumulative damage down the line. I'm sure he feels horrible.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

The guy probably lived near a track and was desensitised to the sound of the whistle. We had a family friend whose house was right up against the track near a crossing. Probably less than 50 feet. His pickup was hit by a train and he was all but killed. he said he never heard the whistle. His brain just edited it out.

Now you might say that if you lived that close to a track you would be MORE aware of the danger. But in our county not a year goes by that we don't have half a dozen or so fatalities.

We have train tracks not too far from our home and I don't pay the train much attention at all, as others have said you just get used to the racket. I feel badly for the gentleman and hope the animals didn't suffer.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I feel bad for the guy too. I don't wish that upon anyone. I'm sure that wasn't his plan when he left that morning. People get in a hurry and that causes them to be careless. Just let this be a lesson to others and hopefully it makes someone stop and think before rushing because they are in a hurry.

I ignore train whistles when I'm at home, but I listen and look and wait if I'm driving a car/walking over a railroad track. ESPECIALLY at one of the increasingly-rare crossings where there are no automated signals. That's one of the few accidents where there is never any doubt who is at fault-the train can only go one way and it cannot stop. The only way a driver is not responsible is if there is a genuinely faulty signal (my train to Chicago this summer had a delay where a signal was out and one of the crew had to get out and flag the crossing).

Another thing that often gets overlooked in train-car collisions is the cab crew. I know Amtrak has a policy (and I'm sure the freight lines do too) where in the event of a collision the crew has an option to not continue and have a relief finish the trip for them. Imagine being the engineer, seeing the vehicle on the tracks, and knowing there is absolutely no way you can stop in time... My parents were on a train when someone ran the signal...it took about five hours to get moving again as there was a fatality so there were the police, a crew change, had to clear the tracks...it was upsetting all round.

I'm sure the trailer chains were hitched. They're not going to do a THING against an oncoming train. And at least the horses are out of their misery, I doubt the driver is going to be all right emotionally for a long time.

Trains can't stop. Obey signals and CHECK if it's a non-signal crossing. In the VERY unlikely event you get stuck on a crossing, there is an emergency number on signal boxes--get OUT of your vehicle and call it, if there isn't one call 911 (the number on the box will let them stop any trains faster but 911 will do.) If there's an oncoming train and you're stuck, DON'T try to save a trailer or anything in the car, just get clear.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Well, a.) the kid from grade school didn't have any windows between his ears and the train and he still got hit, and

b.) not every truck has power windows. I guess in all of your best practices in trailering you have never had to actually lean all the way across a Dodge Ram 2500 and wheel the passenger side window down, huh? I am 6' tall so I can tell you unless you people are 6'6" your wee arm ain't gone reach.

I think it makes people feel better to imagine themselves being perfect so that they can go on their lives convinced it will never happen to them. When Christopher Reeve fell everyone wanted to find a way to discuss how he rode bad or was too inexperienced or had a bad trainer or whatever, so that they could think it wouldn't happen to THEM. In reality, Christopher Reeve rode fine for the level he was at, had a perfectly decent horse in a perfectly fine program and sh*t happens no matter how perfect you are.
    Actually, this is not quite true about Christopher Reeve, apparently he was sold a horse with a dirty stop, and, if you watch the video, he was not riding fine for his level, he rode scared for a reason. What that has to do with the trainer is for you to draw the conclusion, but whatever it was, it was someone's fault. I heard this from a woman who rode at that barn with him.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Actually, this is not quite true about Christopher Reeve, apparently he was sold a horse with a dirty stop, and, if you watch the video, he was not riding fine for his level, he rode scared for a reason. What that has to do with the trainer is for you to draw the conclusion, but whatever it was, it was someone's fault. I heard this from a woman who rode at that barn with him.
    So basically the barn and its program are good enough for her to ride at, but then Christopher Reeve has a fall and she has to convine herself it won't happen to her so suddenly there were all these problems.

There are A TON of people who ride waaayyyy more beyond their ability than Christopher Reeve ever did. Take for example every intermediate riding amateur who thinks they are qualified to train up their first ottb with no help. When they survive through the grace of God and their horse nobody says yes but you really should have been killed and you still need some g-d LESSONS, we were all holding our breath. But Christopher Reeve? Oh everybody saw that one coming, starting the minute after his accident I'm sure.

1 members found this post helpful.