The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best ideas for small living quarters? what are your tips?

we recently upgraded to an 8' SW with a sofa and small bathroom. LOVE it. oh, look, here it is:

http://merhow.com/images/stories/Str..._Floorplan.pdf

So our old tiny LQ had counter space. Here, notsomuch.

Those of you with small LQs, please share your tips and tricks to camping comfortably, little things that were ah-ha moments would be appreciated! thank you!

It looks like you have dead space around the bed, Make two storage units on either side for socks and things.

Talk to recreational boaters. They have the honed living small down to an art form.
    Last edited by 5; Nov. 12, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Save Schrodinger's Cat!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

From the image of the floor plan it's safe to say that your primary "working counter top" is going to be the dinette table.

This means that you'll have to develop practices around dinner time that mean the cook gets to run the rest of the crowd out of the LQ (or into the bed, whatever).

When you have limited storage the best thing you can do is make up a series of "check lists" that cover the needs that you have for a given type of trip. We did that with our small LQ and it saves a LOT of time and arguing with your sometimes just too close SO.

If you wish I'll e-mail ours to you if you PM me your e-mail address.

Small LQs require a small amount of "ruthlessness" in determining what you carry and discipline as to where it goes. The checklists can take care of the "what"; the "where" will be determined by your specific configuration.

It will take you a half dozen trips, or so, to work out your own needs and system. Plan for these to be "learning experiences" and don't get too wrought up when you find out that you need to "learn something new."

Good luck and have fun with the unit!!!

G.

P.S. You've got a lot more space than we have.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I saw one at Equine Affaire that was even smaller. It was the single person LQ. It had the cooking area where your dinette was (and shrunk down) and the single person dinette where your cooking area was. It was pretty intriguing to me because it wasn't a huge, long trailer to drag around. In fact, it was pretty short !!
    I want to say the short wall was like 6 feet (or even 5 feet), I can't remember exactly.

Our last trailer had a 4' SW with a sink and a long counter, the only place to sit was the boot box that covered the water tank. Cowboy shower, no potty. Loved it but tired of it after 8 years of getting up and dressed in shifts

I don't like the table that came with the trailer- it's not a center-pedestal table, so there's no hole in the floor, which I like...but then the legs are in the way. I need to hit an Ikea and find a better table.

G, I'll PM you my address, I'd love to see that- that's the sort of thing that would help. I actually sorta already culled what is in there- emptying the Exiss helped me see how much crap I never used in all that time- so the move into this Merhow has already stripped it some.

thanks!

LOL G we camped in the driveway this weekend- we needed to dewinterize it (this thing is brand new) and make sure it all worked. The biggest impediment to the endeavor was the 7 lbs of Siamese on the roof at midnight, walking up and down trying to find the cat door