The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches and fit

So I was down to 1 pair of breeches. Some old pull-on tuff riders. They're a size 28. When I just have them, they feel good, but when I walk around and when I'm riding I'll have to pull them up in the knee area, thigh area and waist. They don't get offensively saggy, they just sag enough.

So I bought some Online () - more Tuff Riders in a 26. Some of them are pull ons, but I also go zips. They're a little tight in the waist/tummy area. They're not so tight in the legs though - not enough to show panty line. Will they stretch? I feel like it's a dumb question because my other Tuff Riders have obviously stretched. Will it take long to stretch them out? I hate being in between sizes!

I would say they probably will stretch. I have two pairs of the ribbed Tuff Riders in a size 28 (my normal size) and they have stretched out a good deal...granted I've had them a couple of years, but I noticed today how incredibly baggy they had gotten in the waist.

ETA: I have definitely not lost weight, haha.

I did the exact same thing several years ago, same sizes and everything (ribb low rise pullons, fwiw). For me, the tightness is mostly in the rear/crotch, and I do not think that has changed significantly if at all (nor would I really expect it too...).

The waist probably has stretched, especially since for me the waistband sits lower than the 28's, though I don't remember how tight it was at the beginning and I always wear my breeches with a belt.

If I stick with Tuffrider for my next set of breeches, I'd choose the 26's again. These are the knee patch breeches I'm talking about. I also had a size 26 full seat pair, and they were too too tight everywhere. I'm surprised I didn't rip them apart the first time I put them on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like you need to shop for breeches to find something that fits better. Maybe Tuff Riders are not the brand for you. I had this experience and finally found two types of breeches that fit my body well. I got rid of all the other ones and any time I buy new breeches I just get the ones that fit me good, don't stretch or sag...
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I wore them yesterday and they were fine

I think I just needed to get the stiffness out of them, during/after I rode they were SUPER comfortable. It was nice not having to hike them up during my ride.