The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Weight Question

I am selling my Sidekick trailer and the buyer is interested in knowing the actual weight. I can't find it on the spec sheet or the information on the front of the trailer. She will be towing with an F-150, so she is interested in knowing the actual weight. It is a 2 horse slant gooseneck w/dressing room. It is aluminum -- anyone have an idea? Thanks!
    PennyG

Is there a public truck scale near you? You can then weight the trailer with the truck attached and then subtract the truck's weight. Another way is to use Google.

Feed stores and salvage places also have drive on scales sometimes. Or you could call the company if they are still operating.

I have had success finding curbside (unladen) weight numbers for trailers by searching through the listings of used trailers. Several dealers post this as part of their online ads. Run several variations of searches for your trailer's make, model and year and you may get lucky.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I was reading on one of the horse trailer forums that some people drive thru the "closed" highway weigh stations and try and get a reading from the scales. Apparently some of the weigh stations don't turn off the scales so if you drive thru them when they are closed, it will still give you a reading. I am too chicken to try this (and with my luck, they will give me a ticket for something) but if you do it, let me know !!!

If you have a title or registration the weight is usually listed. At least in New York State it is.

The only way to KNOW the weight of anything is to weigh it. Take it to the local truck stop and for about $20 get the real weight. If you've got a good relation with your feed store and they have a scale then maybe they will weigh it for you. If you know a "weight watcher cop" they have portable scales; maybe they'll do it for you. Documented weights (factory, tax documents, advertisements, etc.) are NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão