The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Swollen eye

Very hectic weekend. Returned last night from driving to MA & taking niece to Equine Affaire. Right now am in a hotel outside Philly as early tomorrow I'll be with my sister in their place on the Jersey shore, helping them with clean-up and doing the insurance inventory.

This morning I stopped at the barn (small private) and my barn owner warned me that my horse had a swollen eye, evidently smacked last night as he attempted to steal some hay from the hay stall in the run-in - guess the door closed on him? She was around the corner when it happened.

His eye is definitely swollen - both upper and lower lids - left eye. But otherwise he is not flinching if you touch it, and it is still probably 3/4 open. He was in usual very good spirits. Of course tomorrow is Veteran's Day. Not sure if vet practice will have usual hours. Also barn owner is leaving to go out of state in the morning, returning in the evening. Have no idea when I can return.

Now that I'm in my hotel room, it's time to worry. I was on a very tight schedule, also needing to return my niece to her dad whose grandmother is very ill. (When it rains, it pours.) BO and I thought it really wasn't a big deal. There is no blood apparent. The skin around his eye isn't scratched. He sees out of it fine.

Anything to worry about? Why is it always when it's the worst time to do it? I've been home for months!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I would definitely have it checked as soon as you can. Hopefully he did not scratch his eye but if he did, the sooner you treat it the better. Im wishing the best for you, it sounds like you have enough stress right now.

Never ever mess with eyes. My vet has told me that eye injuries are very painful and should be seen to make sure they haven't scratched or punctured them. I have had a horse rip off over half of her corneal layer and another poke herself in the eye with a stick on a trail ride. Both stunk.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Well, couldn't sit still - called the vet who said they could come out tomorrow if needed, and to give bute for now. Then called BO, and she said it's actually already gone down! She'll give me an update in the a.m., and thankfully, it's not a holiday for the vet practice - they can be out if needed. Crossing fingers!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Banamine for eyes.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Second the banamine for eyes. Per my vet it works much better than bute.

Blunt force trauma can cause some pretty nasty eye injuries. I agree that all eye injuries need a vet. Glad you called.

I am also glad you called the vet. Eyes are one thing you should never try to treat on your own unless you know how to determine if there is an abrasion.

I'll fourth or fifth being glad you called the vet. Don't mess with eyes and again, banamine for eyes, not bute... Good luck. Hope it's not serious. Make sure the vet stains the eye. Don't let him/her just look at it and declare all is well.