The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Choose your favorite eventer prospect!

I went and looked at some horses at a local track today. Curious what everyone will think of these. I'm looking for an eventer prospect to have some fun with and eventually resell for a small profit.

Horse 1: 6yr old 16.2 hh mare. big ankles but flexed without a problem and trotted off sound. Sweetest puppy dog Ive ever met in stall. I wanted to stick her in my pocket!

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses009.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses012.jpg

Horse 2: 4yr old 16hh mare. Has had some left knee soreness after racing/hard training. Looked sound today and did not mind me flexing/palpating leg. Supposedly xrays clean and they are available

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses020.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses038.jpg

Horse 3: 6yr old 17hh gelding. Used as pony horse currently. big and sound

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses066.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses069.jpg

Horse 4: 7yr old 16.1 hh gelding. Currently used as a pony horse. Supposedly quite well started with lead changes and leg yielding. Cute enough and looked to have a flat kneed trot.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses074.jpg

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/t...khorses078.jpg

The first two are pretty cheap, the second two more expensive. Which do you think will be the best eventer prospect with possible resale value?

The grey...and I don't typically like greys...would be my first choice. Being a mare is a bit of a negative for re-sale. I'd want to know her pedigree. If really good...it would push me in her direction. Plus age and type move her to the front of the line for me out of these choices. I like her over all picture and she has a good hind end. Last gelding would be my second choice but his age is a negative for resale.

But really...I wouldn't think you are nuts with any of them. There are things I like and dislike about all of the them. First mare...don't love her pillar of support of her front legs....but that could just be the pictures. First gelding...hind end looks very weak. Could also be the picture.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 11, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I prefer the geldings.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Grey mare is my pick.

Bay mare's confo isn't to my taste, and don't buy average horses with ankles for re-sale.

1st gelding's back is wonky- too long and has a roach. Has heels on his feet though.

2nd gelding isnt bad.

I like the bay mare best, but the gray mare is also nice.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I like the bay mare, the 2nd gelding and the grey mare. For resale, I'd go with either the 2nd gelding or the grey mare (assuming her xrays are good). The gelding has very nice angles everywhere, only possible criticism would be a slightly thick throatlatch.

The first gelding has a weak loin connection...I like the bay mare quite a bit, but those ankles aren't going to be your friend for resale...really the best bet is gelding #2. But they are all nice
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

Not that I have a ton of experience in picking 'the best' horse, but I second (or third) the nomination of the gray mare. Normally I gravitate to geldings, but the first gelding either has something weird going on with his back, or BOTH photos are at a bad angle. From your description, I really wanted to like the first mare most! I don't envy you the task of making the choice. *sigh*

None of them are ideal resale projects. In my experience, reselling OTTBs in less than 6 months without significant training or financial commitments on your part (maximizing your profit) necessitates 3-5 y/o (2-4 y/o's this time of year as they are technically gaining a year of age in 2 months) GELDINGS, preferably bay with chrome and able to pass extensive vetting with complete set of rads and scoping. In addition, must be 6 or less on.a 1-10 temperament scale. Of the 4 above, ankles rule out the first in addition to her really long hind cannons and open hip angle. The gray too downhill with too much of a concavity btwn whither and neck in addition to knee. There IS a reason she is sore on it. The weakness/length/unevenness of chestnut geld 1 worries me quite a bit, especially since he probably works very hard as a pony horse (most go around 10mi a day) and is still weak. Overall I do like chestnut gelding #2. His eye is kind, his hip and shoulder angles are appealing, and he is evenly built even bordering on uphill. His cannon length and pastern angles are also good in my opinion
    He's turning 8 though. He will need to be ready to go Training with an amateur before he's really marketable. Good luck!
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

1 members found this post helpful.

#2,..#3....#4....#1.....in that order...and get your own knee rads!!!!

Olympicdream...WOW...guess I am so in the wrong biz...

I'm looking for an eventer prospect to have some fun with and eventually resell for a small profit.
    Key word....Have Some Fun....Eventuall Re-sell...Small Profit.

Good plan w/ no more expectations than what the situation prsents.

Go for it get a good PPE and have some fun...
    Last edited by judybigredpony; Nov. 11, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

I prefer the 1st horse (bay mare). She is balanced and I like her shoulder/hip angles. Heck, donate her to me.
    The grey mare would be my runner up, as I find her just a bit upright in her shoulder, a tad downhill, and a bit thin in her front pasterns.
    Don't like the geldings. The 17 hand gelding (#3) has a slight roach back and too small of a hip. Nice shoulder and good bone, but no engine.
    The last gelding has reeeally sloping pasterns behind, and not enough of a hip. That's a risky age to flip.
    I vote the mares! JMHO, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

The grey! Although I'd keep looking to find others too if you're not in a hurry to find something.

Not real nuts about any of them. 1st horse very short in the gaskin and very straight behind. Grey mare has a goosey rump over a rather high-set stifle. Third horse has the roach which I've never found to be a problem, but it makes his loin connection look weak and 'rough-coupled'. Fourth horse is not real pretty but other than needing a shorter toe behind and being old for a resale prospect is the least unattractive....

Jennifer

Judy, not trying to offend anyone. The best way to make a small fortune in the horse industry is to start with a big one. Same principle, joking aside, needs to be considered when reselling
    Horses are expensive, to state the obvious, and do not come with return policies or warranties. Best to maximize ones chances of success/profit and I was simply sharing my experience in how to.do.that. Certainly more than one way to find success just trying to offer some insight.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

None of them really knock my socks off, and while I would willingly play with any of them, I wouldn't also choose any of them, especially for resale. Two of them are mares, one is 17h (I like re-sales to be between 15.3 and 16.3...that inch on either side can make them less desirable), and three of them are over 5.

The grey mare is the most promising on paper (minus the mare part), but I would be extremely wary of the knees and would definitely get a PPE.

Honestly, MY taste draws me to the bay mare. She's my type (except too big for MY taste) and build....well, and she's a mare (geldings are my taste, too). The ankles are bothersome, but, again, I would be getting them radiographed before committing. But, she's too old and a mare for re-sale, I think.

Honestly as a resale, none of the above...
    You are in an area with lots of choices as far as TBs so I would keep looking until you find a more suitable one.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    Honestly as a resale, none of the above...
    You are in an area with lots of choices as far as TBs so I would keep looking until you find a more suitable one.
    ^ I agree ^ maybe it's the photos but I don't see anything there worth chancing.

The bay filly has a 7 month hole in her form then 2012 solid month to month starts as well as some 60 -90 days holes earlier in her career...I wouldn't discount any of them until I saw them walk and jog in person...just a 1 dimensional photo can't be replaced w/ watching how all the parts work in motion....I would have blanched and passed on the lovely horse Colleen Rutledge bought from me in Spring if I had seen photo's of him 1st before actually seeing him move!!! And once off track shoes off and a winter out he went from..What was I thinking how did I get into this..To OMG WOW mover..I didn't even take a base line photo his front legs/feet scared me so bad....you all would have crucified me...for sure

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    ^ I agree ^ maybe it's the photos but I don't see anything there worth chancing.
    Third. 1 & 2 due to soundness (plus the grey looks quite over at the knee in the pics ). #3 due to weak looking hind end (though he is probably the best of the three). #4 is very straight everywhere.

Of course if one of them moves great in person it may be worth a chance if the $ were really good and it doesn't truely matter if you ever sell it.

Everyone has a different opinion - no need to take it personally, judy.

I like #4. Good balance, good solid build, good size, good neck tie in, and he's a gelding who already has some basic training (and a decent brain, if he's a pony horse). Give him a winter of dressage to build that topline and good food and he'll be a knockout.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Heinz 57 its not personal at all just a learning curve...