The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crosspost from Dressage Forum--pricing questions and equine appraiser ever used?

Has anyone ever used an Equine Appraiser? If so, who did you use? Did you feel they were competent? Were you happy with the results? Price range for how much it cost?

I'd also like everyone's opinion for what you think the following horse is worth RIGHT NOW. I know what he'd more than likely be worth with training, etc., but am a little stumped by what his current value might be. He would be a resale project, not a forever horse. I'm more than comfortable with "fixing" the issues he has, just need help figuring out a current value.

5 1/2 year old Dales Pony Gelding. Very large for his breed--15.1 hands. Very nice disposition, and conformation. Lovely movement for lower level dressage (maybe up to 2nd level-ish), and a cute, if unenthusiastic jump online. Could possibly do some very low level eventing. Very green under saddle--less than a dozen walk/trot rides. Severe trailer loading problems. Has never been off the small farm he was bred at. Has wedged himself under the butt bar of a trailer twice now.

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks, guys!

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Appraisers are sometimes required by insurance (to insure above a certain amount) or for legal disputes/settlements (divorce, etc.) but I haven't heard of them being used for buying/selling choices.

Unless there is a special Dales pony market out there, a coming 6 yo hony that has barely been ridden, hasn't been off the farm, has a trailering issue and lower level potential I would think is <1K and probably not worth paying for an appraisal on.

Not trying to be harsh, it is just a market flooded with inexpensive prospects, many with fewer red flags.

In SE PA--I wouldn't pay more than 500-1000 for him currently. If he is a really really good mover and very pretty....and you think you can fix his issues pretty quick and he will ultimately be suitable for a novice...then I might be willing to go a bit more. But there are a lot of "Ifs" there. He would have be pretty special for me to spend more....
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Thanks guys. That's pretty much where I had him pegged too.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

$1. But aside from that, I would try to get a hold of a stock trailer. They solve so many problems it's unbelievable. It's harder with a 17hh horse, but with a little critter, you will have an easier time finding one to borrow. I would ship the 'problem child' in a stock, and them work on the 'straight load/butt bar' issue at a later date.

Handsome and well behaved trumps most everything else. If the pony is cute, and you can make it safe to ride and ship, you can probably sell it.

Pure Dale papered ponies can go for decent money not broke. I've seen unbroken ones starting at 3k and up. That said there is not a huge market for them and they sit for a while. So to actually sell I'd say 1k maybe if your lucky.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Pure Dale papered ponies can go for decent money not broke. I've seen unbroken ones starting at 3k and up. That said there is not a huge market for them and they sit for a while. So to actually sell I'd say 1k maybe if your lucky.
    Even 6 year olds? That was to me what dropped his value--the age AND not being broke together. A rising 4 year old not broke or barely broke...not such a big deal. But a rising 6 year old...now it is more of a project.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

6 is a harder sale. I agree. Like i said though even the younger ones sit for a while usually. They are just a hard sell. If you get him going and a good packer type then you'll get a good bit more for him.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    Appraisers are sometimes required by insurance (to insure above a certain amount) or for legal disputes/settlements (divorce, etc.) but I haven't heard of them being used for buying/selling choices.
    While I mostly do insurance settlements, divorce settlements, lawsuits, etc., you would be amazed at the number of people that get an appraisal done or a consult done so they know how to price their sales horse or what to value them at for insurance, etc. As far as Appraisal prices, they can be all over the map. I try and keep my prices reasonable...others do not. Also keep in mind the experience of the appraiser you are hiring and what they specialize in.

Tracy Dopko
    Daventry Equine Appraisal Services
    www.equineappraisers.com
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com