The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Augh, sucks!

I've used a very elegantly braided mud knot on an awkward tail before.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Introducing.... Stumpy!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...l211-13-12.jpg

I'm glad I lunged him tonight before I rode. When he flipped his tail over his back, he bucked and ran around the round pen like a nut. Guess it's been many years since he felt that.

This is another of him before:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...rs/Gunner4.jpg

I must keep reminding myself that it will grow back.

The barn owner is taking some action. She's putting some surveillance signs and cameras around and adding some motion detector lights. I'm for sure moving him to a pen more to the interior and where she can see him from her kitchen window.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

1 members found this post helpful.

sorry about the tail but I wanted to add that there were a few cases of this in Snowmass about 5-6 weeks ago (and someone else mentioned this happening in CO). Maybe mention that to the sheriff that you talked to.

Does anyone think this would be the same person or just that many greedy/jackass people around? I mean Snowmass & East Denver are a pretty large distance from each other but still, really strange to me.

I would be pissed and it's just creepy!
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

Any chance there is a goat on the property in the same field? This happened to my horse several years ago. Turns out it was my parents goat in the same field who thought a tail looked tasty. :/ I couldn't believe it until I caught the goat in the act on another horse! The tail looked perfectly cut across like a pair of scissors too! If I hadn't witnessed it with my own eyes, I would have never believed it!
    Just a thought.

Awww. I'm sorry that happened, but at least he looks kind of adorable with that bob!
    When I purchased my mare her tail was half chewed on one side above her hock...I banged it so it was even and it grew back really thick! So maybe it'll make him look even flashier!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

Horsehair upholstery is a thing of the past.
    The current thing is fake tails, used by hunters, ASBs, & western horses.
    You don't want my opinion on that.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Aww poor pony! Kinda reminds me of the racing paintings from the 1700s- I would braid & mud knot.

Wonder if spraying pink glitter or dyeing the tail a fun neon color would discourage a thief. Either that or a big dog with teeth guarding the stall.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Quote Originally Posted by La Chasse View Post
    Aww poor pony! Kinda reminds me of the racing paintings from the 1700s- I would braid & mud knot.

Wonder if spraying pink glitter or dyeing the tail a fun neon color would discourage a thief. Either that or a big dog with teeth guarding the stall.
    It's so funny you asked about that! One part of the story I didn't mention is that when I was out Saturday, there was a part of his tail missing but it didn't look like it does now. It was just a big chunk and didn't look cut. It looked more jagged. I wasn't sure if someone cut it and got scared and ran off or if he caught some of it and pulled it out. I asked some other people's opinions and no one else was sure either. That's when I found out that a couple of months ago another boarder's horse had his tail cut.

I told the other boarders that I would dye his tail purple or some ugly color to make it unattractive. The perp came back that night and finished the job before I could dye the tail.

Oh and definitely no goats anywhere near there. I wish it were a goat instead.

www.longhopes.org

1 members found this post helpful.

Your latest description sounds more like it got chewed off than cut off. Other horses have been known to chew off tails too.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Your latest description sounds more like it got chewed off than cut off. Other horses have been known to chew off tails too.
    He's not in with any other horses, he has a private run. I asked the workers on Saturday if they found tail hair when they cleaned his run and they did not. There's way too much missing to be chewed off or caught on something without evidence. The previous "victim" lost 3 feet of white tail. I wish there were another explanation but we're very sure of it.

www.longhopes.org

When I was living in SC a little over 10 years ago, there was a rash of tail thefts. Owners would find their horses' tails banged off right at the end of the tail bone. It happened in fields at home but one woman I knew was at a show. Imagine coming out to do morning feed at a show and finding your horses' tails gone. Ultimately this was chalked up to selling tails to WP & ASB folks. So stupid. People can be such losers.

Does his run have another horse right over the fence?

How east of Denver? Got a paint from the Brighton area a little over a year ago. His tail (bright white and ground dragging long) was hacked off at the tail bone while he was on turn out. They took the tail off another light colored horse in the same pasture as well. The people selling him did a police report, although nothing came of it. They said it was very common in the area.

Not pointing any fingers, mind you

http://www.coloradohorsehair.com
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique