The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry My Horse's Tail was Stolen. Rules Question.

Last night someone hacked my horse's tail off. I just bought this horse last Saturday and board him east of Denver. Apparently someone else's horse's tail was hacked at this barn a couple of months ago. So pissed right now.

Anyway, I am hoping to get back into dressage and lower level eventing next Spring after an 8 year hiatus. What are the current rules about a fake tail?
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

You can use one. And by next spring it will have grown out a lot, and it might even grow out thicker. I'd wait until then to buy one. Did you report it to the police? I would definitely get it on record.

Wow that's just awful. I'm so sorry. What kind of freak thinks that's a fun thing to do? I agree, wait & see what his tail looks like next spring, but fake tails are pretty common

I did file a police report. I'm sure it will grow some by spring/summer so hopefully it won't be necessary to get a fake one.

I'm researching security camera options right now and I'm going to move him to a different part of the property since the other horse that got hacked was living where Gunner is now when it happened to her.

Here is my new boy before his stubby tail look:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...rs/Gunner3.jpg

www.longhopes.org

Oh my, he is adorable! So sorry about the tail.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I hack both my horses tails off to the hocks this time of year to avoid the mud that is coming with the Kentucky winter. By April, the arabian's tail drags on the ground and the TB's is nearly to his fetlocks. Hopefully your new guy grows hair well and he will look good by spring! So sorry that someone took what was not theirs. I would be furious as well.

1 members found this post helpful.

That is just AWEFUL! I can't even imagine ... feeling so violated. Has anyone seen any suspicious activity on the property?? Anybody that doesn't belong there? I would be tempted to move my horse, especially if this has happened before.

Coconut oil is your friend - rub it into the roots. Good luck.

WOW! That's terrible!
    I'm so sorry!
    The nerve of some people!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

That is so disgusting, I am so sorry...I hope they catch them and your handsome boy's tail grows back quickly

Default We are sometiems to Genteel

I am constantly amazed at the human condition and just how sick it can be. What the hell would one do with a horses tail that requires such a despicable act.

There are some great wires webcams (x10 security cams) that are easy to install and even provide the ability to monitor over the web. Post signs up that the premises is now under video monitoring. Certainly his tail will grow back, but I would worry about the other horses in the mean time, they may get the same fate.

If it is a male perpetrator caught, I'd make part of the punishment to have his genital area shaved with a rusty blade....in public.

I want to see stubby tail photos! I bet he looks cute with his hacked off tail and it will grow back enough by spring that it is no big deal.

Jealousy is my bet. Someone at the barn thinks your horse is to nice. Much nicer than theirs. Keep your eyes open for snarky comments about him and you will probably have your offender.

Sorry about your horses tail but it will grow back

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    If it is a male perpetrator caught, I'd make part of the punishment to have his genital area shaved with a rusty blade....in public.
    Veet for men would be much better!

from off topic day http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

Keep your eye out. There are some good sales coming up around Black Friday, and you might find a security set up on sale or flood lights (I saw one on sale at Home Depot).

I'm so sorry this happened. That just sucks.

I really think people do this for profit, selling the tails for fake tails. Vicious circle. It's so common to show with full tail, so more and more folks use fake tails. I swear it seems ALL qh breed shows have horses exhibit with fake tails. I even see some with lovely natural tails putting in the fakes. I think it's silly. But it's done, and so more and more hair is needed for fakes. Maybe if exhibitors would start refusing to use the fakes, there would be less and less demand.

Again, so sorry this happened to your horse. Hope it has a speedy growth spurt! Maybe some extra biotin or something would speed it along! He is extra cute, by the way.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    I'm so sorry this happened. That just sucks.

I really think people do this for profit, selling the tails for fake tails. Vicious circle. It's so common to show with full tail, so more and more folks use fake tails. I swear it seems ALL qh breed shows have horses exhibit with fake tails. I even see some with lovely natural tails putting in the fakes. I think it's silly. But it's done, and so more and more hair is needed for fakes. Maybe if exhibitors would start refusing to use the fakes, there would be less and less demand.

Again, so sorry this happened to your horse. Hope it has a speedy growth spurt! Maybe some extra biotin or something would speed it along! He is extra cute, by the way.
    Yep. This is my guess, too. I don't think they are "sick", per se, just greedy and gutsy.

So sorry. MTG rubbed into the roots of the tail will help it grow. I've had tails grow several inches with that stuff (probably has more to do with the rubbing than anything).

You should get around 6" by late spring, meanwhile just bang it and shape it. We have had a youngster eat off about 3' off tail on a TALL swedish horse. We did a mud knot for showing until it grew out. #*$& happens.
    Last edited by ideayoda; Nov. 12, 2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: clarity
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll get some pictures of "stubby" tomorrow.

My brother in law is a deputy sheriff and has been advising me on surveillance systems. I'm also looking into a motion detector light that can be hung on the tall railing by the entrance to his gate.

I don't want to move barns (nice people, good trainer, good care) but my horse's safety has to be first and foremost so that is an option.

I talked to the guy with the beautiful palomino a few rows down tonight. He said his horse would likely kick the tar out of a stranger trying to mess with him in the dark. My guy is so friendly and sweet that he probably moved his butt over to help him out.

www.longhopes.org

How horrible. Glad he wasn't physically harmed

Do you mind if I ask what town your horse is boarded in?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by tazz001 View Post
    Jealousy is my bet. Someone at the barn thinks your horse is to nice. Much nicer than theirs. Keep your eyes open for snarky comments about him and you will probably have your offender.

Sorry about your horses tail but it will grow back
    Tail theft is actually a huge problem in Colorado right now, and its been happening frequently for about 4 months now. I didn't hear about any cases for a few weeks so I had hoped it had stopped, but clearly its still going on.

Rosijet, I'm sorry this happened! I know a lot of people who've had good luck using MTG to help grow hair longer, and I've used a product called Healthy Hair Moisturizer (I think, its pink and smells really good) to help grow manes and tails. They're not miracle cures, but they will help a little.

What products use horse hair? Seriously, there has been a rash of this? I'd be looking for a Colorado company that sells a product with horse hair, or someone who sells fake tails, or find what else it is used for. And I would move, sorry. That's too creepy for me.
    Omg, just found
    Coloradohorsehair.com

But I like that answer better than someone creeps around cutting horses tails off, that one bothers me more than cutting it for resale.