The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Harry De Leyer (Buttercup)

hello, i am new at posting ☺
    i own a horse that was bought from harry de leyer's farm in virginia, maybe around five years ago. she is a bright chestnut, white star and three white socks. mare age 12 - 13 now. i heard she was half dutch warmblood and thoroughbred and that she was bred by harry de leyer. her stable name was buttercup and she was a successful hunter! does any know her? can anyone tell me about her?
    i am so curious of her breeding. when i google the names of harry's stallions, i get no where. thank you for your attention to my concern. kristin

Default Land Jonker decendent perhaps?

Your mare sounds like she might be related to my mare. I have a 14 year old Dutch Warmblood cross mare whose grand-sire is Land Jonker who was owned by Harry DeLeyer. She is also a bright chestnut with a white star, stripe and snip as well as two socks.

Who is Buttercup by? I may be able to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen2020 View Post
    Who is Buttercup by? I may be able to help!
    I don't think she knows based on the OP, that is inquiring about this mare's dam and sire.
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Oh. Thought she said she googled the stallion. I used to show Lanjonker in the a/o jumpers so I was wondering if she was by him.

I rode with Harry for a bit and still have the mare I bought from him 12 or so years ago.
    Buttercup was by Harry's black stallion named Dutch Fire and I am pretty sure she is out of the mare Glitter. Both had exceptional temperaments!
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm

Fire was a full brother to Dutch Crown, Harry's great grand prix horse. He would pack someone around the Adult Jumpers and then go foxhunting. I have a photo of him pulling a sleigh through the snow with me driving. He was kick quiet and a cool horse. When he was a really young horse he had a badly infected tooth so a hole had to be drilled in his sinuses to drain it. He almost died from it. His head was always funny looking because of it but he was otherwise gorgeous. Fire and Crownie's full sister, Dutch Glyder was a pretty decent open speed horse and a very nice broodmare.

PS Can't re- Dutch Trim, the dam of your mare, was my first horse. My dad bought her for me when I was 9!

Quote Originally Posted by HopeandJoy View Post
    I have a 14 year old Dutch Warmblood cross mare whose grand-sire is Land Jonker who was owned by Harry DeLeyer
    Unless Harry has owned to stallions named Landjonker, His stallion Landjonker who currently resides at his farm in VA, has never been bred out yet. Harry wants to keep him strictly as a show horse and not one to breed.