The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Regardless View Post
    Too bad she needs a bigger seat size. This one's flap/block was so freaking straight I don't think there would be a gap between anyone's leg and the block! There wasn't any room to move the block, if it could have been done, which is another reason I am liking the Schleese saddles- gotta love a totally adjustable block!
    You can get County saddles with "adjustable" blocks (i.e. velcro - which does work better than it sounds - FP's Competitor arrived with "adjustable" blocks - in this instance, now no blocks )
    I suspect there are more Perfections out there with a more forward flap than straight flaps - you just need to find the One that fits you + horse.
    You should be able to obtain price estimates from County for moving/adding blocks etc.

Ask Schleese for some customer referrals in your area, confirm that they really do come out as advertised, confirm actual cost of fitting/adjustments (there is a Schleese (certified, independent) fitter back in my area after an absence of several years).

Definitely ride in the saddles, have your coach assess your position (now & future), consider that if a rep is only available once per year, you might be happier with a company that offers distance fitting/adjustments.

Happy hunting

Too bad she needs a bigger seat size. This one's flap/block was so freaking straight I don't think there would be a gap between anyone's leg and the block! There wasn't any room to move the block, if it could have been done, which is another reason I am liking the Schleese saddles- gotta love a totally adjustable block!

Good luck
    I don't know too much about County's but am currently saddle hunting myself and thought that the flaps on the County Perfection were adjustable? As in - would it be possible for either you (or a rep) to move the flap more forward to see if the forward flap works better for you?

Maybe someone who has a Perfection can chime in further. Anyway, good luck finding the perfect fit!
    Last edited by GutsNGlory; Nov. 14, 2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

County reps have Perfection demo kit saddles with flaps that are "adjustable" as you can order the degree of "forward" that suits your leg perfectly - your custom build saddle will have a fixed flap (tho my rep has sold at least a couple of Perfections with the "adjustable" flaps).

For the Connection, Competitor, Fusion models, my rep has demo kit saddles with the various flap options, though of course not every tree/seat size in each option.

I would like to chime in with commiseration and sympathy both. I had a saddle that worked superbly and which I loved - rode in it for about six years and then my boy got wider. . . and more muscular - all that darned correct dressage schooling, I guess, hee hee - and suddenly I was experiencing the infamous saddle fit nightmare of song and story.
    I too started out having saddles shipped to and fro and quickly learned I couldn not afford to try saddles that way. Then my trainer/coach got a new saddle fitter who lives in our area (100 mile radius, for us that's close) and I just hauled down to her barn on the day he was going to be there. He is an independent fitter and was awesome. I found the right saddle that very day - after he took my measurements, and examined my horse, etc. he picked out a couple and I tried them out. I ended up with an Equine Inspired saddle, made by Frank Baines and it's gorgoeus - very different than what I had before but it fits us both perfectly and best of all, I haven't had to call the equine chiropractor and those bills went waaaaayyyy down. . . .I was very very lucky.

I have a long femur, short tibia, long waist, similar to our OP so I can really relate. Having a saddle fitter really eliminated the pain of saddle shopping. He arrived at the barn with a little trailer hitched to his SUV packed full of saddles. Kinda like a traveling shoe salesman. . . .
    Last edited by Shagyas Rock; Nov. 15, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Shagyas Rock View Post
    I would like to chime in with commiseration and sympathy both. I had a saddle that worked superbly and which I loved - rode in it for about six years and then my boy got wider. . . and more muscular - all that darned correct dressage schooling, I guess, hee hee - and suddenly I was experiencing the infamous saddle fit nightmare of song and story.
    I too started out having saddles shipped to and fro and quickly learned I couldn not afford to try saddles that way. Then my trainer/coach got a new saddle fitter who lives in our area (100 mile radius, for us that's close) and I just hauled down to her barn on the day he was going to be there. He is an independent fitter and was awesome. I found the right saddle that very day - after he took my measurements, and examined my horse, etc. he picked out a couple and I tried them out. I ended up with an Equine Inspired saddle, made by Frank Baines and it's gorgoeus - very different than what I had before but it fits us both perfectly and best of all, I haven't had to call the equine chiropractor and those bills went waaaaayyyy down. . . .I was very very lucky.

I have a long femur, short tibia, long waist, similar to our OP so I can really relate. Having a saddle fitter really eliminated the pain of saddle shopping. He arrived at the barn with a little trailer hitched to his SUV packed full of saddles. Kinda like a traveling shoe salesman. . . .
    OMG! Traveling shoe salesman!! Could there BE anything better?!?! Oh yeah, there could- a traveling SADDLE salesman!! Lucky, lucky, lucky. I have one more saddle coming on trial. If this doesn't work, I'm going to start riding bareback. Or western. One size seems to fit all in those barns

Really, consider the money on a Schleese. Even the newer models that are fully adjustable can be had on e-bay, near new for a good price. Then pay to have Jochen adjust it. He really takes his time and knows his stuff.
    Last edited by Iberiansyes; Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Shagyas Rock View Post
    Yup, that's me and throw in my short backed Arabian, and the challenge just grows. Because of my hips being tilted as opposed to wide open, I also need a long center of balance to fit into. I sat in the 3 Trilogy models, and was assisted to choose the forward flap Debbie McDonald. It's perfect, and my mare is starting to really use her back. All the saddle slipping issues are gone, too. I fought the good fight of trying to find used, and I'm glad to have the problem solved finally.

So I've recently embarked on another saddle fitting nightmare. I am convinced I cursed myself two years ago saying I've never really had a hard time finding an appropriate saddle. I have since probably tried a dozen saddles. During this go 'round, I've tried three different Countys. I accidentally fell in love with the Perfection with the bull leather (OMG!) and after that the other two with the XTR leather didn't compare. Of course the Perfection doesn't fit my horse (but may be able to be tweaked) but my stupid, ridiculous long femur might be the deal breaker. This is devastating because it is an absolute STEAL of a deal. The Connection fit us both but I'm not in love with it. Of course in waiting for these to arrive I missed out on a Schleese Link on a #2 tree that, in hindsight, would have probably been perfect. Sigh.

So now after having tried so many saddles in the past year, I have a better idea of what types of tree shape/panel shape/gussets would be a good starting point to work from and think a Schleese on a #2 tree would be best suited for my short-backed horses. Of course now I can't find any that would be suitable and fit the budget.

This is mostly a vent but I have two questions- am I right in declining on the Perfection if I feel that my knee wants to go over the thigh block? The flap is very straight and if I don't ride with much bend in my leg it is ok but I like some bend. I am just not sure how that block is supposed to feel. Will get pictures tomorrow. As far as the Schleese saddles, the Link and Wave appear to have a bit more "forward" to the flap. Should I continue to look for a 17" which fits my butt or increase the search to a 17.5 to give my freak-leg more room? UGH! I am tired of spending all this money shipping stuff back and forth!
    Boy is that ever the truth..I am so glad I am not having to do that anymore.
    I did the shipping thing too and Man it was murder.
    But a note, if your knee wants to go over the roll, go for the 17.5.
    The 17 does not fit. And it has nothing to do with your Butt, at least that is what a saddle fitter told me.. Good luck! Hope you find your dream saddle soon!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.