The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question can i clip without getting rid of all the hair?

forgive me if this seems silly, but i normally use a Tblade to clip my mare and it takes the hair off all the way leaving her basically "bare" to the skin.

what i would like to be able to do is to give her a modified trace clip (neck and chest area) by just making the hair shorter not by clipping it all off. what kind of blade would i need for that? or would i need one of those plastic comb attachments like for human hair?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

the lower the number, the longer the hair will be. I use a 10 for the body which is fairly close, you may want to try an 8 or something even longer such as a 5 or 3. If you google clipper blades you can find out how long the hair will be for each blade. Unless you want almost nothing clipped off you probably won't need a plastic guard.

Or clip with the lay of the hair. You may have to go over it a couple times to get the shortness you want. I just did this yesterday to freshen up a month old trace clip.

Here's the guide: http://www.andis.com/download/allBlades_chart.pdf

Ignore the middle. Down the sides it lists all the blades and what length they leave the hair. 10 is 1.5mm. T-84 is 2.4mm. A 5 is 6.3mm- so that is probably what you're looking for.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Or clip with the lay of the hair. You may have to go over it a couple times to get the shortness you want. I just did this yesterday to freshen up a month old trace clip.
    I trim my horse's face this way. I hold the clipper so the blade is at a right angle to the part I'm trimming. I may work on my slightly shaggy Cushings horse to give him a slight trace clip for the winter, just to thin it out a bit.

pony baloney

that's what i have, a slightly shaggy cushings horse. i clipped her in september but the hair largely grew back. i don't really rider her hard enough (she's semi retired due to suspensory issues) to warrant another clip at this point, but she would benefit from getting some of the hair around the chest and belly removed. but not ALL of it!

If she's anything like my horses you can just clip her like you normally would and she will be furry again in like a week--I've done mine twice again since Sept. 1. They won't stop turning into furballs!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Herbie19

My mare's coat doesn't grow back quite that fast. I also don't want to have to blanket her right now and with a full body clip she would require blanketing around the clock at this point.