The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

I work 8-5 and it is dark after work - no lights at current barn. So my strategy is to take off early on Fridays so I can get 3 days in a row. I still have a few PTO days left so I can make that work.

Today was a piece of cake...sunny and 60 in TN.

Riding days are better days!

Rode tonight...the usual WTC.... so I will ride tomorrow (hopefully)to make 4 rides this week....AMEN!!!!!

I just worry b/c I need to be consistent and that has been lacking....BIG TIME! so one week at a time.... NO really ONE DAY at at time!

smiles to everyone trying to keep warm and RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoAmor View Post
    I didn't ride yesterday. But! I did ground work, in the arena, with a bridle. Does that count? Lol

Today my friend came out to ride my boy. I needed someone besides me on him. I'm so discouraged. But! After seeing her work with him today I am going to ride tomorrow and practice!!!

Wednesday was SOOO hard! It was the unpleasent time of the month for me and so cold. I really tried to talk myself out of riding. But alas! I knew that if I didn't ride, Piper was going to forget that butt whooping that my friend gave him. So, I put on some extra layers, popped a few midol and off I went.

One of the boarders asked me if I'd like to go on a trail ride. Well sure! But at the end of our ride. I worked on disengaging the hind end, just like my friend had. We had a great ride! Plus, a fantastic trail ride after that. I was grinning when I hopped off.

Thursday I rode again, I set up a jump before I hopped on...just in case. We had a fantastic ride, finally not being nasty through our walk-trot transitions and moving forward. Boy, when he saw that fence, I instantly had twice as much horse. I'm so used to him being behind the leg that he almost feels explosive when he is infront of it.

Yesterday I didn't ride, I gave Piper the day off. Although showed up in the dark and heels after work to drop off some stuff and give him a few treats. Today is my sixth day of work this week and since I was up at seven am (I usually work nights) I will be sleeping when I am done instead of riding. Not sure when I am going to be done...it's already two and no end in sight. Hopefully Piper hasn't lost it when I get back on...probably Monday since I have to do a weeks worth of stuff tomorrow. However I should be able to fit in lots of riding with the holiday this week.

Checking in... rode today but it is easy to ride when it is 60 out. Very grateful for the beautiful weather. Kudos to those toughing it out in the cold - you motivate me. Even though it was not exactly a sacrifice, I'll still enjoy my adult beverage :-) Cheers!

I did not ride Friday night. I decided that getting a birthday president for my husband was a higher priority.

But I had a really good clinic today.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I did not ride yesterday or today....UGH! I took Saturday off---a stay at home day thinking I'd ride today then--nope-- I did go to the barn but didn't have it in me to ride!

So I did 3 rides this past week......gonna try for 4 this coming week....

eeeekkkk

kicking myself for not riding yesterday. Did barn chores but thought it was too slippery / water logged to ride as it had just stopped raining. Checked the arena on my way out and it was perfect! Grrr! Almost went back to the barn later in the day but had too many commitments. Heading out in a bit, plan to clip (high trace) AND ride today (hopefully ring is still good after more rain last night!)

Got my ride in yesterday! Had a wonderful 3 hour ride with several friends through the woods and enjoyed the fall colors. I even won the "cowgirl of the day" award for staying on my horse when she went on a bucking spree caused by a fellow rider who came crashing out of the woods - I am sure Miss Patootie thought that that bay horse was a bear! I must say that the kerrits full seats I invested in kept me in the saddle, even when i lost my stirrups during the bucking spree so that was money well spent. After Miss Patootie realized that the "bear" was in fact another horse she was fairly content to continue the ride peacefully- but I swear that bay horse laughed at us all the way home!

2 members found this post helpful.

Better late than never - count me in! My mare and I live at a h/j barn with excellent amenities, including a huge indoor arena. However, I'm primarily a trail rider. My mare had a serious neurological "event" a couple years ago and so far has made great strides in recovery - so I really need to keep her working over the winter. I have a trainer ride her a couple times a month and I take an occasional lesson. However, outside of those times, I'm not really motivated to ride inside, but need more of a push to hop on and ride outside when it's cold.
    I usually have Tuesday/Thursday afternoons, and weekends to ride.

Thumbs up

I rode today too. Not a big sacrifice for me either, because it was beautiful outside! I am feeling the pressure to look somewhat presentable when I take my little ranch horse to the indoor in a week.

Rode yesterday. He wasn't very good, but managable. Too slippery to canter, but it was sill a decent session.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I was out of town since early Thursday, so haven't seen my horse since Wednesday... however, I did get to go riding on the beach in Virginia Beach on Saturday! It was pretty cold and windy, especially since I forgot gloves, but it was gorgeous.

Rode in a clinic on Sat and Sun.

We BOTH worked up a sweat.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Time to see if I can make it out on a Monday night! I've missed the last two Mondays. I have my clothes in my car and my phone alarm set so I won't miss my early train. And I have leftover Chinese so I can't convince myself it would be better if I went straight home and cooked something. Must! Ride! Horse!

I think part of my problem is that doing flatwork on my own is boring for both of us. I'll look at my watch 5 times in half an hour to see if I can get off yet. Does anybody have anything they do that makes it fun? Circles and serpentines don't count as fun in my book!

2 members found this post helpful.

Fail grade for today. Overslept - so no time to do both chores and ride. Hopefully the weather holds and I can ride tomorrow morning.

I've also started hand walking him through our new 'trails' that were unearthed by the goats and Mr. Trev, and he's getting much calmer about it, so I'm hoping to start riding him down there soon!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I rode on Saturday and Sunday (I know, so what?)....and my goal will be to ride every day the rest of the week because the weather should be temperate. Couldn't ride tonight though.

Trev, I think hand walks totally count! I did a lot of that this summer when we made new trails. It really paid off!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    Rode yesterday. He wasn't very good, but managable. Too slippery to canter, but it was sill a decent session.
    This was my Sunday (after not riding saturday GRR!) we got more rain overnight, leaving things slippery! Just did a little canter work, but mostly lots of long trot (after giving up on hill work, poor mare was slipping around just trying to open the gate to the field).

Is winter over yet I just can't stand winter!!! Sucks at a rough board place

I rode this evening. Mare was mostly good, but goodness! I cannot get her to walk consistently. From the moment I hop on she is walk-walk-jig-jig-jig-walk. I have tried nearly everything I know how to do to get her relaxed, but she just wants to GO! She gets tense very easily and barges through my hands. Any tips for the anxious OTTB that is on 22/7 turnout?

Rode tonight and boy was he an a$$. But I sucked it up and rode on anyway. I do feel so much better now . Hopefully I can say the same tomorrow night!!!

I rode tonight...had to make myself but very glad I did!

BonneAmmie---dont know what you may consider fun but 1-maybe put poles down to trot and canter and get different strides between them....2-walk with a loose rein and use your eyes and body to steer horse where you want him to go, then do it at a trot etc...3- you could do transitions galore--4-practice counter canter...5-- no stirrups (ok,not fun)...6-get a broom and a ball and wack it around the arena???? ...7-Challenge yourself, whatever that means to you..... I'm trying here

Bedazzle--I feel your pain! Hang in...one thing to maybe try is to walk (jig) walk and walk some more-- circles, serpentines, halt, walk.....just keep it quiet..maybe a bit of trotting but still keep it quiet and low key...poles on the ground may distract her a bit which can be good to keep her mind focused on something other than LETS GO. I think teaching her that a ride is low key and relaxing is the way to go...I know that may not be realistic for all horses but I know it is exhausting what you are dealing with.....IMHO go slow make it fun, quiet and easy for her.....

WINTER is not over (I wish) Let's keep up the riding as best we can!!!!