The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Sounds like some folks are having some good rides!!! I sure feel for y'all up north with the cold and snow!!!

It's been hard to have any consistent days riding. I ride for 2-3 days then can't ride for 3. So frustrating! I did haul my mare for a lesson on Saturday worried since I hadn't ridden much the week before. But she was a superstar!!! Very responsive and sensible! Did some gymnastics, had a great day!!!

Then Sunday at my neighbors ring, she was a basket case. I'm not sure if she has my number and plays games with me. But she's horrible at the neighbors but as soon as I took her out in my back pasture she was good. Total personality change from the neighbor's ring to my pasture. I want to be able to ride at my neighbor's ring since I don't have one and the footing is better but I can't have a nice hack over there.

Planning on doing a small schooling show at my trainer's farm this Saturday...sure hope it's warmer than what the weather forecast is calling for!!! I may have to chicken out!!!

Got a quick ride in yesterday, even though I don't normally ride on Mondays. It was in the mid 50's and sunny - there was no way I was going to not ride on that kind of day. Glad I did, because today it was in the low 30s and dropping to the teens tonight. Rest of this week is iffy - and Saturday I'm booked. We're hosting another show at the barn so I'll be working it. I'm thinking I'll have my trainer get on Sunday if she's got an open slot.

Cool

I rode 8 times over the last 10 days!

Moved barns – the new barn is HEAVEN. Plus the weather cooperated, it was clear and beautiful the last week or so.

Here are some views from the trails at the new barn!

Green hay fields

Ocean views!

So glad I moved, I should have done this before winter set in.

2 members found this post helpful.

I will have to live through others. Even though we have an indoor temps of 11-17 degrees do stop me and then after several days of this they are calling for more snow!
    I did how ever have a delightful ride last friday during our lesson so that is a plus...
    Is winter over yet?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I rode TWO horses today!!! We trailered to the MS horse park.

Here I am on my little QH:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psffa3e1da.jpg

Just got back from a great lesson. Got lucky and correctly layered and was just fine. Not the least bit cold or uncomfortable. Everyone in the group showed up, and we all had a fun evening.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

It's 5 degrees again. My lesson today is cancelled. I don't ride when it's this cold. I don't want to leave my house for a week. I hate you people with your gorgeous weather and ocean views and trail rides. Please let me know if your local school district is hiring English or gifted enrichment teachers.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

14* and -4* wc. We were remarkably comfy schooling outdoors despite my saddle being frozen solid and making my butt numb. I used a hoofpick on the zipper pull of my half chaps to get over my heavy socks!

Mr Horse was a gentleman and disregarded the shetland cutting up in the adjoining paddock. She did a faceplant, skidded 20 feet and ended with a somersault. Luckily only pecked her little nose, but all the snow stopped the bleeding.

I guess I'm getting used to winter but really looking forward to warmer weather

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Mr Horse was a gentleman and disregarded the shetland cutting up in the adjoining paddock. She did a faceplant, skidded 20 feet and ended with a somersault. Luckily only pecked her little nose, but all the snow stopped the bleeding.
    eep! just the vision of a roly-poly pony going over and over in the snow makes me giggle

Here... it's supposed to be in the single digits AGAIN tonight, and I am seriously questioning whether I should even try to go to the barn. All I would do is hop on the mare over her blanket and walk and trot her around a bit, but, brrrrrr.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I had a good laugh at ponys expense. She is little and Thelwellesque and shaggy. A lovely black and white pinto. Just chucking around in what was to her knee deep snow and then CRASH with snow everywhere!

My horse was aghasted!

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Here... it's supposed to be in the single digits AGAIN tonight, and I am seriously questioning whether I should even try to go to the barn. All I would do is hop on the mare over her blanket and walk and trot her around a bit, but, brrrrrr.
    Well... I rode. On top of her blankets, for 40 minutes, about 35 of which was walking. She wasn't thrilled but behaved herself. It was about 15 degrees F or so. The hard part was leading her from the barn to the indoor in cold and howling wind!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I had a good laugh at ponys expense. She is little and Thelwellesque and shaggy. A lovely black and white pinto. Just chucking around in what was to her knee deep snow and then CRASH with snow everywhere!

My horse was aghasted!
    Where is the video when needed!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

20* today with the footing still nicely frozen under 10 inches of snow.

My horse has been a bit sucked back and fiddley this week and it takes a long slow warm up to get his knots loosened and working through himself. Due to the interesting footing he has been more polite than usual in his canter work with nice self carriage. Sounds are muffled in the deep snow and it is like cantering on a cloud in dreamland.

Steady riding is paying off. His weight was up 75# at the end of November (he's IR so I tape him every couple of weeks) but with the continued exercise he is back down where he should be.

Went to a little schooling show at the farm where my trainer is today. The show was running quicker than I thought it would so I got there and had to get ready immediately.

My mare was a little up for a few minutes warming up but then hacked and jumped nicely in the schooling ring. Our warm up round was one to remember....she was totally freaked out which she normally does NOT do over fences! But we made it around and then each trip got better and better.

Overall with the limited lessons and sporadic rides the winter, I'm pleased with how she did.

Hope you guys aren't too tired of me bragging about my boy, cuz you're gonna get another. Didn't get to ride last week b/c of weather, so he'd sat for a week when I pulled him out yesterday. Just went for a trail ride b/c my back was NOT interested in flatwork and he was fantastic! Braved everything alone and I even worked on the flexion our trainer's introducing us both to and I think I got more accomplished outside than any time I've tried to do it in the ring myself. I just wuv him!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

2 members found this post helpful.

Today's ride:
    45* with a thick pea soup/rain combo and a visibility of about 100 feet. An hour before barn time the heavens opened up in a half hour deluge which cleared the last of the snow from the roadsides but made the outdoor arena impassable.

William Pendleton was out in his paddock grubbing in the mud, dank and dingy but miraculously mud free. Not bad for the circumstances. I snapped a rope on him and together we sploshed back to the barn, he nudging me every few feet in the small of my back with his muddy muzzle as I grumbled
    “William” <snudge> Stop <snudge> Touchingme” <snudge>

The back of my black vest is now covered in muddy horse kisses.

We had a nice little jaunt and I put him back out in the sludge. How many more months of this?

This afternoon was like a spring day almost 70 today! Loved the warm day / evening but storms are coming tomorrow and then back to cold weather. So I took advantage of the warm day and had a nice hack. Horse was very sweaty so even hosed her off since it was so warm.

The warm weather today makes me want spring to hurry up! Oh and my mare was shedding today when I was grooming her. Maybe she knows something and spring is around the corner! I sure hope so!!!

It was 73 here in Mississippi today!! I rode 2 horses, my good ole QH for a nice breezy walk/trot, and then had a dressage lesson.

It's supposed to storm badly here tonight, so hope my guys stay calm and happy tonight

Bad storms expected here starting around 2am. Horses are out, but can get into their stalls if they want to. Last time I checked, they were still munching hay. It's around 70 degrees now, but will be down to 30 tomorrow night after the storms pass through. Had a nice ride on another lesson pony this evening. My favorite pony got sold, so I'm going to have to buddy up with another pony until my TB adds my Tuesday lesson to his schedule. So far, I'm just riding the TB in my Saturday lesson. The Tuesday lesson is more jumper-type stuff, and with the TB coming back from a major injury, we just want him doing easy hunter stuff right now. Stay safe, warm and dry, everyone!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Today's weather....

21* Wind gusting at 50 mph. Lake Effect Snow, heavy at times.

I.Think.Not.