The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

People who live where it is really cold, please help! My friend and I are OMG freezing our feet and hands off riding at night. I have Kerrits Wintersport gloves that I used to think were the greatest thing ever and some 100g thinsulite lined work gloves for after riding, but my hands were so cold last night I was having trouble using my fingers. My feet are also freezing despite wool socks. Think I'm going to add some foot warmers to my boots and maybe even get winter boots.

But, please help my poor freezing hands! I think I may have a tiny bit of a circulation issue as my hands are pretty much always cold, I live in fingerless gloves at work.

TIA for any suggestions, I'm dying in 40F here (feel free to laugh at the southerner by way of California).

Today's little jumping school went AWESOME. The first time I pointed him at a jump he took a nice steady hold, took me to the jump on his own, and just sailed over! I was so amazed feeling my horse's enthusiasm, I almost forgot how to ride. Time to build some simple standards and set up cross rails. We've maxed out the cavaletti at 22".

This is what I LOVE about riding horses. When you can explain to them that this obstacle is not a fence to contain them but something you want to fly over. And the horse suddenly understands and says "Hey this game is pretty cool! I got this! Hang on..."

My horse is learning to jump faster than I am learning to ride. Note to self: raise stirrups.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

2 members found this post helpful.

For warming up the feet, I like the insoles instead of the toe warmers, but they cost more. Get them at TSC or any sporting goods store, or pretty much anywhere (like Walgreen's) when it's winter. For hands, the hand warmers work well enough. In a pinch, the hand warmers can work as toe warmers, but they are thicker and don't have adhesive, so they may move around and bunch up some. If it's really cold, or if I have a show on a very cold day, I use one of those heated back patches on my back. It's keeps my back warm, and helps me move better too.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by iechris View Post
    People who live where it is really cold, please help! My friend and I are OMG freezing our feet and hands off riding at night. I have Kerrits Wintersport gloves that I used to think were the greatest thing ever and some 100g thinsulite lined work gloves for after riding, but my hands were so cold last night I was having trouble using my fingers. My feet are also freezing despite wool socks. Think I'm going to add some foot warmers to my boots and maybe even get winter boots.

But, please help my poor freezing hands! I think I may have a tiny bit of a circulation issue as my hands are pretty much always cold, I live in fingerless gloves at work.

TIA for any suggestions, I'm dying in 40F here (feel free to laugh at the southerner by way of California).
    OK I live in TN which is not technically really cold but I have Raynaud's so everyplace is cold to me. I don't have a great solution for gloves to ride in. I have a collection of winter gloves and none are warm enough. But what helps me more than anything else is using the hand warmers with the gloves built to hold them when I am not riding. If I can keep my hands warm for the barn chore, horse prep, put away processes I can handle the actual riding with regular winter gloves.

Currently I use these http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Factory-W...+warmer+gloves.

Good luck and if you find a better solution - like electric gloves you can ride in - please let me know!

Finally rode today. Last week was a bust - between feeling NQR at the start of the week, and then having obligations the latter part of the week that kept me out later than usual.

My trainer had some open time early this afternoon so I brought my mare up to the indoor and rode serps and circles for 20 minutes at a walk to loosen up before my trainer hopped on. I was very pleased with the work today. My horse, while agreeable about being saddled and carrying a human around toward wherever they point her nose, up until now has basically been un-educated. Of course, the last two years were spent getting her fit (and safe) to ride after a major neurological event. So our goal right now is working on a balanced, rhythmic jog. So yes - I was pleased with today's ride. She's starting to round and come on to the bit and continues to get softer and more responsive.

Anyway, here's a little video of Cookie and my trainer taken when we started near the end of September. http://youtu.be/tvMopYM4t_U

I finally rode my boy today!! It was great and he was very sassy!!! New fancy shoes seemed to have helped and he is sound. I hope to keep this up throughout the week

Besides keeping me warm... I seem to have that all figured out... I am beginning to see the benefit in quarter sheets. It takes forever to warm my horse up on 33* mornings. He is not clipped, but those big muscles take awhile. Perhaps that will go on my wish list for next year.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Very proud of my boy this weekend: the boss came to town for a lesson yesterday and said we've made some good progress and it's time to step up the homework a level. AND, he was a rock star on our first solo trail ride today. ♥ my boy! He tries so hard to be good...
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Had a good ride on Belle today.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

This past week was not good for riding! I only rode on Thursday during the week due to bad weather and a very busy week at work. I rode yesterday with my neighbor in his ring which is always interesting as my silly mare is a little nutty there. I love riding in the ring, good footing and company but it's not really enjoyable since she is tense and spooky there. ugh.

Rode this morning before the rain moved in and had a good workout. I didn't have a lesson this weekend so no jumping so I'm looking forward to getting to my trainers next weekend!!!

This coming week will not be fun due to covering for someone who is out at work and some rain expected a few days this week.

I changed my schedule up a bit due to the weather forecast and holiday engagements, but I rode last night and the night before. Tues was a little bit of a tough love night, but it paid off last night with a wonderful ride. We actually had a friend to ride with last night, and even she noticed, "Wow, he's got a great canter!"
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I rode my two last night and will be riding again tonight. The weather has been very mild here so far, but I think I'll be breaking out the quarter sheet for this weekend's riding.

It's getting to be "wild" season here and that plus the fun of trying to avoid lessons in an indoor arena filled with jumps means I won't want to ride, but of course skipping rides just means the wild behavior is that much worse when I do suck up the courage. I need to remember to really ride forward because a canter-to-bolt transition is smoother than a walk-to-bolt transition.

I am fearing my extended riding season may be over. Tuesday barn time was during a soaking cold rain. Today is horse's "well child" check-up and Saturday is supposed to be a blizzard.
    ~ Gordon Grand

Im cold just sitting here in my office after walking to get my daughter at school. It's going to be tough to get motivated tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerChem View Post
    I need to remember to really ride forward because a canter-to-bolt transition is smoother than a walk-to-bolt transition.
    So true!

It's cold and windy tonight. Glad I rode on Tuesday. Horses got their shots today, and the barn Christmas party is tonight, so no riding for anyone today.

Horses at home are tucked into freshly bedded stalls, with nice hay and water buckets topped off. They're not going out in this either.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Well I didn't ride this past week. Between Holiday parties that I didn't actually want to go to and crummy weather it was tough. It's amazing how quickly I can fall back into the couch potato routine! I'm off until the 3rd of January and am luckily not traveling ANYWHERE this year! Yay! So that means no excuses.

The cold weather did finally arrive, which is making me feel less motivated. I hope Santa brings me some cold weather gear!
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

This week was a bust for me, too. It was rainy on the days I could have squeezed in a ride, and sunny on the days I had other commitments. Had some "quality" time with Cookie today, even though I didn't ride. Brought her up to the barn before the farrier arrived to de-mud and dry her feet which turned into a full blown grooming session.

We had our Christmas party at the barn today, too. I brought the girl back up to try running in the carrot race for our first time. She followed me for about 20 feet, then disqualified me by wandering back over the finish line, leaving me to finish running the course on my own. It was good fun - we'll have to practice for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaSting View Post
    This week was a bust for me, too.
    Yep, bad week for me too! Between my right arm at work off for a few weeks and the weather, I only rode on Wednesday this week. This might sound bad, but I'm almost looking forward to getting through the holidays and back to normal so maybe I can ride. I wanted to ride today even though it was cold and breezy but didn't have time. grrrrrr.

Tomorrow, I'm riding period!

Glad I'm not the only one who is having a bad week. I only made it out on Tuesday. Have a lesson at the lesson barn today though and then driving straight to my barn to ride my own horse! Going to try to make it tomorrow too, if I'm not stuck cooking all day. I like to have a nice quiet Christmas Eve ride with my pony. Then I'm out of town for a couple days...