The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

The rain is here - I am screwed.

Supposed to be flooding by the weekend (although my horse's stall flooded yesterday - that was fun to clean).

Is it spring yet?!?!

Spent a good evening at the barn last night. Horse is getting better about going to work instead of "Do I hafta, Mom?" and we even cantered a teensy bit. I doubt I'll get out Sat b/c of a day trip with my Mom, but Sunday is "We're gonna trail ride out of this ring, by golly!" and tack cleaning day.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

1 members found this post helpful.

Almost turned back today because the weather was getting nasty, but glad I didn't, because I had a great ride.

Though sadly, today was the last day of the season for the cider mill that is on my way home from the barn. I don't know how I'm going to motivate myself now without looking forward to my post-ride apple cider doughnut with cream cheese frosting...

We had another of those heavenly days here in TN. Sunny and 60. Took off early from work to get a ride in. Just brought my boy home from the trainer's and he was pretty good. He didn't want to focus so we practiced lead changes until I got his attention. Days like this make me feel so lucky. Cold days are ahead but I'm going to enjoy today!

Rode for the last two days. Yesterday we had our first trot steps in the front yard! Yay! This pony and I need to reeeeelllllllaaaaaxxxxx, so that was our primary goal, and we did it!

Then today, I got up and rode around 9, which seems to be a nice time. We worked on our trot and bending exercises and walked all over the property in front. We didn't have on our blaze orange, so we stayed very close to the house. I've been working on getting over my boogers, so "re-practicing" sitting the pony and giving him confidence when he spooks and sucks back (which is often, because he hates the chickens).

He actually got slow after the second trot (which is partially because he's out of shape, but also partially because he's realizing that I'm not asking him to ya-hoo), so we may attempt a canter tomorrow if the weather is nice, and then since it's sunday, we may actually hack out a little. We'll see, that might be pushing it!

Wow! Very easy to support the support group today! 70 degrees and sunny! Had a fun ride on the bratty lesson pony who decided to be a saint and let me catch him, and then decided to be an absolute jerk for most of the lesson. He was just spunky, and full of himself and I think he was enjoying the sun and breeze as much as we were. Looking forward to a few days of good weather, and some nice rides.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Hacked briefly before handing my horse over to the barn owner's daughter, who is riding him occasionally over fences for me so that he can build up his confidence (until I build up mine). He was a very good boy for both of us and offered a spontaneous lead change a couple times, which was nice!

I saw a neat idea on Pinterest--to keep a "workout tips" jar and stick a dollar in there every time you work out. I am planning to start that and include riding as a workout. Once you've got $100 you're supposed to buy yourself something fun. (:

I had nice hack on Monday with a good moon.

Tuesday was kind of miserable, even though it didn't rain, so i skiped it.

Wednesday evening I traered to a jumping lesson at a covered arena, about 7 miles away.

Thursday and Friday I was sick in bed. Today I felt a bit better and went for a gentle hack.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Great ride Thurs and today, after missing Tues due to a weird little virus going around here. My horse has been acting a little looney outside, but is better than ever in the indoor. So guess what we are doing in the morning...going for a long trail ride to get those loonies out!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Warm and sunny today. Saddled up and rode out to the woods at the far corner of the property. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Cookie walked out nicely, alert and confident, despite lots of rustling of unseen critters in the brush and ditches along the paths. She's shaping up into a good trail horse.

Is the "rule" to check in 1x a week? IDK...but here goes.

After only being back in the saddle for about 2-3 mos, I went to try a big moving WB this week thinking my old lady Connemara cross would appreciate not having to haul me around. Well, the WB didn't appreciate hauling me around! LOL Darn my right leg and its perpetually braced status....so back home I went, crushed over my sucky position but determined & inspired to get my mess together!

Worked on the sucky right leg this week, in the ring a little today, and then all over the farm. Cantered a little (YAY!) and had a phenom time in our 64 degree weather. Tomorrow's weather the same; back to work on the right leg, God willing and the creek don't rise. I LOVE my little mare & trying the WB made me feel guilty for taking her for granted.

Prayers for those of you anywhere near Truckee, CA.

It's wet in CA! My trainer set up a pump system to attempt to drain one side of the covered arena that always floods, but I was nevertheless happy to have a (mostly) lunge lesson yesterday instead of trying to ride on the quarter lines. Quarter lines are useful, but it's a pain to have to ride on them all the time.

Had a good lesson on a boarder's horse who has been a bit of a pain for a few beginner riders, once I gave him a whack or two with the crop he realized that he did actually have to behave/move forward and was perfect.

Warmish and sunny again today. Usually I have a trainer ride Cookie Sunday mornings to teach her dressage basics, but trainer was sick so we passed on the ride today. I rode for about an hour, just walking the perimeter of the farm and up to the road.

I don't need much support to get out and ride when the weather's as nice as it's been the last few days. I'm not looking forward to January and February, though.

Despite it being breezier than expected, my boy and I went out for his first real trail ride since I've had him with a friend and her horse today. After a little flat work in the ring, both boys were very good (especially considering the wind) and I was so proud of mine for just taking everything in stride.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Sunset in these parts is about 5:00. Took the girl out for a trail ride in the dusk which turned into dark. Rode 1 mile down the road, rode in vineyard, and rode 1 mile back on the road. Had on my reflective vest and it was obvious the motorists saw us as they moved over for us. I can hear the cars coming long before they arrive so it seems fairly safe to me. Horsey had a great time, it's been raining for nearly a week and she enjoyed getting out. Extra credit, rode bareback!!!

Again, loving the weather. You know what's the best thing about trail riding in 70 degree weather in December? Absolutely no bugs! I was glad to get a ride in today, because the rest of the week is shaping up to be busy. I work later Wednesdays and Fridays, but will try to get in a quick ride on Thursday. Won't be able to ride on Saturday because we have a show and I'm the "in-house" show secretary.

I haven’t ridden in a week due to rain. (after riding for 7 days straight!) – I have been out to the barn every day though.

Barn has been flooding – been spending an hour (and $$!) every day after work stripping my horse’s wet stall and refilling it with dry bedding – only to get soaked again the next day. It is so damn wet we can’t even turn out, place is turning into a bog, so I am hand walking a hot youngster in slippery mud. More rain for tonight and tomorrow (oh yay). Should let up by the weekend, but I not know if that will be enough time for the arena to recover.

I HATE WINTER.

Checking in! Two great rides over the weekend, and another awesome one on Monday. AND I've stuck to my gym goals!

On Saturday, the highlight was a haunches-in that I could really see because of the snow. We just walked and did lateral work; getting snowflakes up her nose kept making her sneeze. On Sunday, we worked in a large field on keeping a steady tempo regardless of how much ground she was covering. A low point was cantering; I wasn't ready and she couldn't canter slow enough for my comfort, so we had to stop there. The highlight of the Sunday ride was feeling her softly reaching for the bit at a nice, regular trot. The highlight of my Monday ride was the canter with no stirrups.

One mantra that I've found helpful is that if I'm having trouble posting, the trot is too fast; if I'm having trouble sitting, the canter is too fast.

I have never been good at sitting all the way down in the canter. My core isn't that strong, and my back is pretty tight, so I tend to just kind of perch up there. But lately I've been having lots of good moments I'm sure I'm not alone.

The weather this week, while unpredictable, has ended up with a lot of really nice days! Next ride is planned for tomorrow AM, when it is supposed to be sunny and COLD.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Am I allowed another brag about my boy? He was so wonderful to ride last night: my leg is thinking about coming back where it belongs and he was so much more balanced than he has been. Even cantered nicely and found his "pretty boy strut" trot that I haven't seen in quite a while. Still working on staying straight and he's still got a way to go fitness-wise, though, and 70 degrees in Dec with an unclipped horse made for a lot of brushing...

Cold and rainy last night, but we rode and had a great time! The barn has an indoor, so it's too bad. Sunset is at 4:32pm here. I will be celebrating big time when the sunsets start to get later each evening. Seasonal Affective Disorder is no fun at all this time of the year.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?