The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

I hope to ride tomorrow, going to try out my new dressage saddle and see if I really like it or not.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by superD View Post
    Went out to the barn yesterday to take a stroll on my younger guy when my old man must have decided that being retired is boring and so he coliced.

Spent the day hand walking the old man and waiting for the vet. Turned out he was just really cold and once he warmed up was back to his normal self. Who would have known he needs more blankets than my other boy who is body clipped???
    SuperD, glad your old man is OK!

Congratulations to everyone who is working so hard!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Today's motto should be thank goodness for a nearly full moon and a grey horse! Met my friend at the barn tonight to ride and I knew she was in a hurry. Went out to the pasture to get the mare I part-lease and forgot a flashlight. Turning out with out one is fine due to a big light near the gate, but it doesn't reach all the way into the 5+ acre pasture. Luckily we are way out in the country and the moon was almost full and the little mare is grey. Found her a little bit away from the round bale and brought her in.

We set the lights for 45 minutes, but something wasn't right as they went off, right as I was cantering down the long side of the area, after less than 20 minutes. I stood along one side and let my friend do a few canter laps by moonlight, using the white jumps and white horse to show her where the quarter line was.

At least we got a short ride in.

Had a short 30 min ride this morning. Madison was unusually quiet but slightly grumpy, almost made me question if she was OK. But she inhaled her pre-ride hay, so I assume all is well. I also discovered this morning that Mads really appreciates a quiet hand ride, as in DON'T MOVE YOUR HANDS LADY! So I kept my hands right above her withers and just squeezed my fingers to steer, and I was gifted with a horse who (mostly) trotted on forward and quietly, and she even started to reach into the bit a little. YAY! Maybe this means we will start to make some progress soon!

Getting good at this riding in the dark thing! Rode last night, it was really mild out – Just worked on “me” – Lower leg position, and did a bunch of two point to work my back. Let her do lots of stretchy trot (I am blessed with a horse that reaches down and stretches anytime you give enough rein).

I have now ridden 6 days in a row. I hope to ride again tonight, as the forecast is rain Wednesday through Sunday and I will not be able to ride.

I'm in! My goal has been to ride Tuesday nights and Thursday mornings, in addition to my post-chore weekend rides. Oh, AND to go to the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays. Last but not least, a local is planning to ride my horse on off days.

It takes me 45 minutes to get home (north of the city) and 45 minutes to get to the barn (south of the city - yes, I need to move, I know). The outdoor ring is lit, but it's just a stonedust track, so one can't do much circling or gymnasticizing. Better than nothing!

My primary fear is getting a headache or getting very sleepy while driving home. Did I mention that I don't even like driving??

But the benefits are huge. I stay out of the refrigerator, and reap the rewards of more consistent riding. Namely, a saner beast and firmer thighs. Plus, riding is FUN and my horse is CUTE.

So, support group, I have been doing this with some success for a few weeks, and I was rewarded with a spectacular ride on Saturday. A canter slow enough that I can sit?! Excellent!!

But let's count last night as Day 1 - the gym. It was my first time back at the gym in months, and I tried not to look at all the already-fit people there keeping themselves that way. It was brief, but I did it, and I lived (though I got a headache). When I got home, I had vodka and soda, and I was glad that I went.

Today is Day 2 - the barn. It is currently sleeting. Sigh.
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

I was going strong until we went out of town for 3 days for Thanksgiving then I got really sick Sat-Monday and now its raining today. Still feeling bad but I would ride anyways. Sigh. Its been a week without riding. I feel like a failure and can only think how sticky my mares stifle will be when I (hopefully) ride her tomorrow.

Had a nice little ride today. Despite all my winter gear, my legs are still cold. Time to add a layer. My feet, finger and ears are fine. It's just this fat layer that's complaining.

Can I join? I just got a new horse and we're keeping him at home (with all of THOSE complexities) so...

I rode yesterday for the first time (since trying him). Just a walk, and a bit of look see.

Today, we saddled up, me in my DH's blaze orange suit (it's Buck season around here and we're a very wooded area) and rode in the back pasture...which is really an 8 acre woodlot. He was up, but totally manageable. He and I are both coming back from a riding hiatus (his longer than mine) so we spent 30 minutes at the walk. We are very out of shape...both of us. He was SO good, and he even jumped (at a walk) a little ditch that was deeper than expected. He likes to trailblaze!

Fail. I usually try to ride on Tuesdays, but ended up working later than usual. Cookie got a good curry while she ate her supps, though, and I'm consoling myself with a hot adult beverage.

I think I qualify: I don't get off until 6pm, so yeah, it's been dark and cold for an hour-hour&half already by the time I get to the barn. My horse is just coming back from 6mos off/4 of stall rest, so he has NO muscle and little stamina or work ethic. My goal is Tues/Thurs evenings and both days on the weekends, so having to check in here will help give me a little more accountability.

Convinced myself to go ride last night despite the cold & damp and was glad I did. I wasn't really feeling like it, but my guy was really good and made me feel much better. It seemed like he's starting to get a little bit of a work ethic back and things are getting a bit easier for him. So grateful my "crazy OTTB" doesn't mind the cold, the dark (one bright light on the ring, but not great at the other end) and being out there alone.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Well didn't ride last night as planned - the arena had already been floated in prep of todays (and the week long) rain storm. Lunged in the round pen instead.

If it were not for the cloud cover, it would have been a perfect night for a moon light ride!

NOT looking foward to days of rain - closed arenas and minimal turnout.

I can't stand winter! I joke that I should be in Australia right now!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Smile

Im in. Over the past year my riding goals came and went. Not that my horse and I werent prepared, but work was getting in the way.

So............ Ive taken the big leap, changed jobs, and now working night shift so I have my days (and evenings) open, plus every other weekend off from 7am friday til 11pm monday! <sweet!> I can also adjust those weekends to coordinate with events as needed <double sweet>.

Plus, still working 6-7 mornings ponying at the track, this sets schedule and helps to condition my horse and best, helps offset a (tiny) bit of a paycut.

Now Im looking over the endurance calender for 2013, and marking the goals again -- with hopes This year, we'll be there.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

1 members found this post helpful.

I was so uncomfortable over the weekend that I made an impromptu trip to the chiro on Monday. He said unless I want to live with this horrible pain I have to stop riding for at least two weeks. Dang.

So I found a friend, she is pretty beginner but it is better than nothing at this point. She walked Piper for about 30-45 minutes. Piper was really good a out it. She says she is willing to walk him a few times a week till I ride. Hopefully it goes well!

Didn't get a ride in today because my hay guy showed up, then I had a meeting, then DH wanted help taking a motorcycle over to the shop, and by the time I got back it was almost dark. So...I started teaching the pone to longe. Got a few successful circles, did some ground work, and called it a night. (I like having a horse that knows how to longe for the vet). Now enjoying a glass of wine.

Lesson - when I *think* I need to go to the barn and ride, I should do it immediately. None of this "I need to shower and meh, I really don't feel like it" crap, which was what happened between about 9-11 this morning. I answered inane work emails...stupid!

I just saw this thread! Yeah count me in. I have not ridden in over 2 weeks. Horsie has stitches that come out tomorrow! Yeah but I am a little afraid of the cold weather we have. I am in down state NY.. I do know about clipping and such. We are thinking about it because he is so wooly..
    My biggest problem is I do not trust him yet.. We had an amazing horse that we lost last year and this is the new one. He has a bit more go than I am used to but we are getting there.. I hope to ride on Saturday...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Well we got the OK to walk under saddle for the next 2-3 weeks!! Now if the ring would just soften up enough to ride

I HATE SNOW AND ICE

Had an awesome lesson on my horse today with a new trainer! Although I have my weekly lesson on school horses, it's great to have lessons on my horse again at my barn--now I have to ride more so I can actually show improvement next time I see her!

Then I stuck around to watch the later lessons, wrapped in a cooler and shivering violently. 30 degrees is fine when you're cantering around, not so much when you're sitting on a cold mounting block... rewarding myself with blankets/dogs/space heater and a frosty carbonated adult beverage now.

Got in a quick ride as soon as I got home from work. I've been more motivated to ride since I started keeping my tack at the house instead of up at the barn. I don't have as far to walk in the cold if I bring my mare up to my yard to tack up than if I walk the extra distance to the barn. It's been even more convenient since a fellow boarder built a mounting block for my yard - I can just hop up and hack out now.

OK I totally take a fail for today.

The ring is thawed out and I still didn't go and tack walk my boy. I even texted my trainer to check on the status of the ring.......

Who the heck wants to only walk their green been in the dark and freezing cold?????

BTW is getting turned out still so he is getting out some