The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

OK So I really am going to the barn tonight! Two weeks ago I moved out to the barn I'm at now. Before I was doing partial board, and it was not a perfect situation so I was constantly worrying about my horse. Since I have moved her, I can relax knowing she is being well taken care of (and it's full board!), so I've been taking a little break and trying to get my passion of riding back. I haven't been to the barn since Saturday.

Anyway, I plan on going out tonight after work, and since my Smartpaks are being delivered today, I MUST go. I MUST ride, even just a little.

I SO NEED to be in. I moved back to the Midwest after 3 years in California, and leaving work in the dark and cold is killing my motivation!

My best tip: bring your riding clothes to work and go straight to the barn if you can. If I go home first, and it's warm and cozy and my kitties are happy to see me... I never leave.

Like a couple of you said, it also helps to have a set schedule -- mine is Tuesday & Thursday nights and both weekend days if possible. Not feeling like you "have to" go there every single night makes the 2 weekdays easier to deal with in the super cold weather. My horse is pretty "finished" though, and is turned out all day every day, so he stays pretty much the same if I don't ride for a few days. Those of you who have babies or projects, I feel for you, especially in January when it's really too cold to be alive up here

I wimped out this AM. It was only 37F when I would have needed to leave for the barn to ride before work. Couldn't do it. It is supposed to be warming up, hopefully after work the next two days.

Default DAY THREE..... Feeling like a failure

Forgot I had a meeting after work today and I had really planned on riding...really! But by the time I got home, the sun was already setting I was pretty disappointed.

I think i'm going to take the advice of others and set certain days to designate as riding days.
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

Gah, daughter's rehearsal went over by 35 minutes, which just threw a wrench in the rest of the evening....I suck . I did wash my saddle pads though - folded them and put them away *blush*.

Rode again tonight....amen! No one was at the barn but I still rode...... I hope to keep it up...it was warmer 38 ..... Did the WTC thing again...but need to to get mare relaxed etc....went well..

Other posters, go ride and let us know how glad you were you did!

1 members found this post helpful.

Can I join a little late??? I will be heading to an indoor in December, and want to get my money's worth!

I rode, first time this week. Mare was great! So glad she is on 22/7 turnout now!

Oh I need to join this one!!! HATE cold, HATE it getting dark early...in other words hate the time change! My horses are at home so I have no choice in that stalls must be cleaned, horses fed, and I'm afraid water hauled from the house once the hoses freeze. YUK!

I normally try to ride 2-3 times a week and then both Saturday and Sunday. To ride during the week now, I have to leave work by 4:30 so I can get home, change and get on by 5:15. Then I only have half hour before it starts getting too dark. No lights and I normally ride in my pasture. Thank goodness my mare has been pretty good lately and she doesn't need lots of work and I only jump in my lessons on Saturdays at my trainer's farm.

Today....was cold (by my standards), cloudy and breezy so I wimped out!!! Came home and did barn chores only. HAVE to ride tomorrow and Friday so I can have a good lesson on Saturday.

Rode today... rode my horse Saturday and had a lesson (on lesson horse) Sunday, but took Monday/Tuesday off (went to gym and yoga instead, at least). My horse was feeling Winterfresh, and it took twenty laps with a crop to get him quietly past the Spot Where The Dirt Looks Different And Is Therefore A Yawning Chasm To Pony Hell, but eventually we had a couple nice quiet moments including a good canter so I called it quits with that. Off to visit in-laws in Virginia for a couple days, so probably won't ride until Tuesday... hope my horse has adjusted to the cold by then...

Can I join in even though I am am eventer, not h/j?

I had a good dresssage lesson on Saturday, but I was helping run Show Jumpig at the CDCTA HT on Sunday, so didn't get to ride.

On Monday, I ws able to get on Belle by 7:05, and had a nice dressge school in the (unlit) ring. Even though there was no moon there was a fair amount of ambient light. We got sprinkeld on a bit, but it didn't last more than a minute or two. Riding in the dark is MUCH easier with a gray.

On Tuesday, I had a CDCTA Board meeting, and tonight I worked late, and, when i got home, caught up on maming arrangements for the USEA Annual meeting.

ButI WILL ride Thursday and Friday, as I have a two day clinic at the weekend.

For the first time in many years, I am not going out of town for Thanksgiving, so I will get in some riding then.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Is it too late for me to join?

I seem to have the opposite schedule of everyone else. I'm a junior manager at work, so I have afternoon/ evening hours, usually 1-9 during the week, and 10-7 on Sundays. However, with the holiday season starting the store will be open until 9 Monday-Saturday, and until 8 on Sunday, and it usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour to finish everything and close the store.

This means that horses have to be ridden in the morning, and I usually have three to ride- typically a hack on my horse, and lessons on the others. Getting to the barn at 9 when it opens after being out kinda late, eating dinner between 9:30 and 10, and going to bed around 11 is tough. I'm really not looking forward to adding north east Ohio weather to the mix.

I guess I'm also a little worried about riding and working, and the possibility of getting burned out. But, it's not like I can stop going to work or stop riding. I do have 2 days off a week- usually Tuesday and Saturday, but I try to cram as many errands/ activities into each day, and half the day is spent at the barn.
    Last edited by flogarty; Nov. 15, 2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: I can't spell :)
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

Oh I really don't have the motivation to ride today!!! Cold cloudy day doesn't make it inviting to ride! What happen to being warmer in Georgia which is why I don't live up north!!!

Oh good, yes I need some serious motivation, especially since the time change!!

I've been having a lot of trouble with Monday nights. I take my clothes in the car (and stealthily change in the subway parking lot - DC folks feel free to wave and say hi if you see a half naked woman pulling on breeches!), but it takes me a little over 2 hours to get from work to the barn, with 1.5 hours of that being my commute back to my car, so by the time I get to the car I am disinclined to do ANYTHING.

It helps to have my riding clothes in the car. It helps that I have half leased her, so I'm only obligated to go out 2 nights after work instead of feeling guilty every single day. And it helps that I schedule my lesson for one of the weekday nights.

But weeeeeeehoo, I do not want to ride that horse on Mondays! And I'm especially good at rationalizing to myself that it's not like she misses me and it's very likely that she would actually prefer not to be ridden at all. Then all of a sudden instead of being at the barn I'm eating salsa for dinner and passing out on the couch in my work clothes.

Just a trail rider, but up until yesterday I had committed to riding at least an hour a day. Yesterday's work schedule did not permit a ride and today it is bitter cold and raining so I am in withdrawal. My grouchy, flighty mare does better with the daily ride so I am hoping to get back to it tomorrow. I am a major chicken rider so the act of getting on and hitting the trails alone requires me to summon all my courage, but my horse definitely behaves better when it is just the two of us. I would appreciate it if I could join in the riding report to keep me on track.. are trail riders allowed?

Can I please be in as well? I almost never ride after work because its 7:00 ish by the time I leave, so I try to ride in the mornings. Its been so miserable and cold this week, plus living so long without power, its a trial thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapaloosa View Post
    are trail riders allowed?
    omgosh I hope so because thats about all I can do when Im bundled up like an eskimo.

1 members found this post helpful.

Made myself get out of my nice warm bed at 6 AM to lesson in 30 degree temps this morning. I'd forgotton how exhausting it can be to ride in 10 lbs of layers.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    Made myself get out of my nice warm bed at 6 AM to lesson in 30 degree temps this morning. I'd forgotton how exhausting it can be to ride in 10 lbs of layers.
    You are my hero!!!

I just want to say CONGRATS TO ALL OF YOU!!!!! Wow I live in Wisconsin and I ride 6 days a week BUT I have a heated barn, my horses are stall boarded so out during the day only and I have a lit indoor - not heated but insulated. If I had to ride outside, or catch a horse outside and bring it in, or ride without lights I would not ride - not.at. all! So cudos to all of you!