The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Default Thank you veterans and active duty!

I know this will probably get flagged, but since OT is closed, I wanted the CoTH veterans and active duty to know they have the thanks of myself and my family for defending our nation.

I urge other CoTHers every day that if you see a uniformed member of the armed services at the grocery store, airport, whatever, thank them!!

A big thanks also to the spouses who support their loved ones while they are doing service for our nation
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

5 members found this post helpful.

Several years ago, while I was struggling with the cost of hay and vet bills and training and the many problems we horse people struggle with day to day, my husband was immersed with "after action reports", lessons learned and finding solutions and a few other "minor" odds and ends concerning war. I stopped and remarked how inconsequential the problems I was working with compared to the enormous problems he was. His reply to me was "we do what we do so you can do what you do."

So yes, please take a moment to thank those that have served in the past and offer up a prayer for those who are serving today.

Sure do miss his saying "it's veterans day, you should kiss a vet"!

3 members found this post helpful.

I know you won't like this RBreeches, but I prefer to think it was a travesty to send naive, young men and women into harm's way. The most aggressive nation on earth is, and has been, the U.S. at this time, and they are just too young to sit back and wonder why these conflicts have even arisen.

Aggression doesn't end aggression. It only breeds resentment and revenge. Have you ever asked yourself why the U.S. was attacked on September 11?

IMO, the U.S. creates its own danger. And you can love 'democrary' all you'd like, but it is a system that requires the correct environment in order to flourish -- educated, thoughtful people, capable of understanding other POVs, and who have their aggression and revenge urges in check.

There is nothing 'thankful' to me about a young person who now suffers terrible psychic pain (PTSD) and physical pain from missing limbs, and who has to live now on an insulting low pension for the rest of his/her life, as he/she comes to grips with their robbed lives.

I have nothing against these young soldiers, yet I will, to my dying days, speak out against their exploitation. I do not want to 'thank' them, I, instead, want to restore them and give them a chance at a normal life, since so, so many years of life lie before them. ANd, yes, I do have something against those who have facilitated their endangerment.

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

You can support the person on the mission without supporting the mission itself. This thread was started as a thanks, if you have issues, start your own thread.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

While we may debate whether these young men and women should be where they are today; I agree that we should be appreciative of and thankful to those currently serving and those who have served.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    I know you won't like this RBreeches, but I prefer to think it was a travesty to send naive, young men and women into harm's way. The most aggressive nation on earth is, and has been, the U.S. at this time, and they are just too young to sit back and wonder why these conflicts have even arisen.

Aggression doesn't end aggression. It only breeds resentment and revenge. Have you ever asked yourself why the U.S. was attacked on September 11?

IMO, the U.S. creates its own danger. And you can love 'democrary' all you'd like, but it is a system that requires the correct environment in order to flourish -- educated, thoughtful people, capable of understanding other POVs, and who have their aggression and revenge urges in check.

There is nothing 'thankful' to me about a young person who now suffers terrible psychic pain (PTSD) and physical pain from missing limbs, and who has to live now on an insulting low pension for the rest of his/her life, as he/she comes to grips with their robbed lives.

I have nothing against these young soldiers, yet I will, to my dying days, speak out against their exploitation. I do not want to 'thank' them, I, instead, want to restore them and give them a chance at a normal life, since so, so many years of life lie before them. ANd, yes, I do have something against those who have facilitated their endangerment.
    I prefer to think that there is a time and place for everything.
    Today is maybe not that time and place to be complaining the way you are.

Yes, give thanks where thanks is due, as today is intended for.

You're welcome, folks.

Cyberbay, you've mouthed a bunch of platitudes but don't know Jack. The statement that "most aggressive nation on earth is, and has been, the U.S." is rife with ignorance. Get thee a good history book (works by Samuel Elliot Morrison are a good choice) and purge your ignorance.

We're not presently at war with anybody, but lots of folks are at war with us. They can't abide that we educate our women, allow them to drive cars, hold careers, etc. They can't abide that we don't force people to go to church and worship God only one way. They can't abide that we allow children to follow their own desires for a future life. They can't abide that we allow people to speak as they will. These folks genuinely hate us and will do what they can to injure us. It's the "rough men and women on the battlements of civilization" that keep such forces at bay.

And they are today less than 1% of our total population.

As a nation we've not always been right. But, more than any other nation, when we've erred we've tried to set things right. Again, not always, but more often than not. And we've not always been successful. History shows this to be the way it is, but those who don't ever study history live in the dark.

Seek the light.

G.

CDR, USNR(Ret)
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

7 members found this post helpful.

rustbreeches, thank you. One daughters husband is active duty Army, the other daughters husband is active duty Navy. We are a house divided!

Cyberbay- support the Wounded Warrior project with donations. They do excellent work and help the soldiers and families that you speak of.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank You Guilherme.. Could not have said it better.

Cyberbay, You must be young. Because as said much more ellogently than I would have you know nothing.
    I would love you to say that to the face to one Veteran just one who has served this country for more than 10 years. In other words one who has served in peace and "war time" (yes in quotes because no declaration has been signed and has not been since WWII I beveive).
    You think everyone who goes in to a war zone comes back is subject t PTSD.. I should ask my Dh ... for not this time but the last "war" he was there and you knw what.. nope he dosent have it.. nore loss of limbs.. neither does any of his friends. One is a Vietnam vet. of 3 times.
    Perhaps you should g to a vets home a talk to a Vet. a see how well they are. Or go to a VFW or a Leigon hall and talk to the Vets there. And you may be suprise how wrong you are. And how happy the vet both young and old were to serve our coutry.
    Oh while you are at it ask a WWII vet how we provoked Perl Harbor...

I have never read so much hogwash in my life.. a sign of liberal schooling..
    Friend of bar .ka

Or perhaps Cyberbay should consider that a lot of men and women choose the military. One SIL did while in HS. He didn't want to go to college so he selected the military and chose a career that will transition into civilian work when he leaves. Among other things in Iraq, he was eyeball to eyeball with a bad guy- dare I say the religion of the bad guy- who wanted to kill him in a dark hallway protecting a General in Iraq.

He would defend Cyberbay too because that is his character- Duty first. Some things in life are bigger than self.

2 members found this post helpful.

I would love to add my thanks to all who have given of themselves in serving our country. Whether that path was chosen or not, the performance of your duties ensures the feeling of peace, freedom and safety that we all enjoy. Thank you from me and my family.
    Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
    Home of Fitz, Max, Daeo & Austria
    Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Finn, Jake & Seamus

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    I would love to add my thanks to all who have given of themselves in serving our country. Whether that path was chosen or not, the performance of your duties ensures the feeling of peace, freedom and safety that we all enjoy. Thank you from me and my family.
    Beautifully said, and I couldn't agree more. I hope that many of us will take advantage of our opportunities to expressing those feelings to folks who are serving or have served. Even a simple "Thank you for your service!" is very much appreciated - according to some of my own family members who have served in various branches of the military, the memory of those few words will linger for a long, long time. And whenever possible, I like to combine the words with "I'd like to pay for your coffee/sandwich/lunch/whatever" (or whatever). You wouldn't think that a cup of coffee or a sandwich would be very significant, but again, the sentiment is appreciated and the memory lingers.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM7040 View Post
    Beautifully said, and I couldn't agree more. I hope that many of us will take advantage of our opportunities to expressing those feelings to folks who are serving or have served. Even a simple "Thank you for your service!" is very much appreciated - according to some of my own family members who have served in various branches of the military, the memory of those few words will linger for a long, long time. And whenever possible, I like to combine the words with "I'd like to pay for your coffee/sandwich/lunch/whatever" (or whatever). You wouldn't think that a cup of coffee or a sandwich would be very significant, but again, the sentiment is appreciated and the memory lingers.
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

thanking people for their service and offering to pick up the tab for their coffee/sandwich or whatever is a nice gesture. They need to know that people care about them. If all the meet with is hostility or indifference from folks like Cyberbar, that would be a real travesty.