The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alf Supreme - Lucerne Farms?

Does anybody use it?

I bought 2 bags today and I'm wondering how old they are. I thought it would be a nicer quality, when I pull it apart it's quite dusty. It doesn't smell bad but it doesn't have a nice hay smell either.

Just wondering what other people's experience is with it, is mine old or is it supposed to look brown and be dusty?

Nobody uses this stuff? Maybe that's why it's brown and dusty!

As a world-renowned expert on dust, I would argue that dusty food is something one should avoid feeding to any sentient being, whether it's "supposed" to look like that or not, unless you want to bum them out.

Not that you asked, but I feed bagged alfalfa haylage (Chaffhaye) to one of my peri-geriatrics who's had a few teeth out. It's moist and all my horses are batso for it.
    Last edited by The Crone of Cottonmouth County; Nov. 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

I just started looking into this this other day to try to stretch my hay supply, but haven't bought any yet. I do know that it's brown instead of green because of the molasses that's added to it, so that part wouldn't concern me. The dusty part would at least make me call the company and ask though. Even in their video that I watched it says that it's supposed to be dust-free because of how it's dried and bagged.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

I put it in a bucket and added water, but the horse doesn't really like it. I'm giong to try taking the bags back.

I'm having a tough time finding chopped alfalfa for him. I'm trying to avoid the soaking of cubes and was hoping to find something more chopped that I don't have to soak.

He's 29 and having a hard time eating regular hay.

I used to feed the Lucerne brand but got tired of the bags being so inconsistent (super dry/crunchy to completely drenched) not to mention the tiny rocks I kept finding (once I found the third one I figured it was just another reason to switch). I now use the Triple Crown equivalent and haven't had one problem. Bags are consistent and I haven't found any rocks (which the Lucerne sales rep said was normal - um no thanks)!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by harr754 View Post
    I put it in a bucket and added water, but the horse doesn't really like it. I'm giong to try taking the bags back.

I'm having a tough time finding chopped alfalfa for him. I'm trying to avoid the soaking of cubes and was hoping to find something more chopped that I don't have to soak.

He's 29 and having a hard time eating regular hay.
    The alfa supreme pellets make a wonderful mash.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I used it for a long time as a lunch-type snack for my TB. The bags never smelled quite as nice as a bale of hay, but it was never dusty when I used it. From time to time, I saw some inconsistencies in the texture of the hay, but I never had to throw out/return a bag. And my horse always liked it- he prefers a fresh bale of alfalfa, but happily eats the bagged hay.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I feed it. My horse *loves* it, moreso than her grain/beep ration. It's the only feed that keeps her in good bloom when in hard work.

The bags I've purchased have been soft and sticky and smell of sweet hay and molassess.

I always douse her 4lbs with water before serving.

Sounds like you got a bad batch/old bag.

Bought it for my old guy who loved it - it is definitely more brown than green, and smells like a combination of sweet feed (because of the molasses) and hay to me, but I never noticed any dustiness at all. Had some left after he passed (in April) and have been doling it out by the handful to the new girl - still looks and smells exactly as it did when first purchased, and she adores it.

Definitely sounds like you got a bad bag, and I'd call your feed supplier about it, OP.

Oh, and my guy didn't particularly like it if I added water, either - he had pretty bad teeth, but the Alfa Supreme worked out well for him. (Also tried the TC Alfalfa forage and found it a bit coarser and felt damp/sticky to me - he didn't like it much. He liked the TNT Alfalfa/Timothy Chops from Tractor Supply, but those did seem a bit dustier than the Lucerne product and I couldn't find the straight alfalfa formula locally.)

I bought it once and it was way too stemmy for my old gal. She couldn't chew it.
    She could eat the Hi-Fi one ok though.

It was not dusty though, sounds like old stock.

Triple crown forages are quite nice IMO.