The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another thread - Jumper stallion for TB

I know, I know, 10,000 threads on this subject and I've been reading them, so please bear with me.

I am looking for a Show Jumping stallion to pair with a showjumping champion TB mare (NOT hunter type). The mare is a good rectangular model, long-legged, with a lemme-at-em competitive attitude, a keen jump, lots of personality, very bold, very athletic mare with no vices who is exceptionally intelligent thus always required a witty rider although she is an honest, straight-arrow mare. She's also stayed sound through her racing and subsequent showjumping careers. She was champion at the Calgary June Series (show jumping) this year.

As like most TB's, she could use a better neck and loin connection although she's not too bad herself, still, it's better to always improve.

So, I am very specifically looking for GP jumper stallions with excellent type and legs and feet, rideability, abilities, and kind temperament is an absolute must. And, must have proven propensity to improve type, legs and jump whilst maintaining said workable personality. Not asking for much, hey?

There are a couple fire-breathing dragons in her sireline (2 gens back), but her mareline seems to dominate and is rather high performance line and she follows her mareline.

Was looking at Balou and sons, some of the Holstein C-line, the KWPN Valentino and Nijhof's Canabis-Z and Zacharov, but would like some additional options (especially since I'm mostly a dressage breeder/rider, so I'm foraying into new territory here and while I've been studying lineages like crazy for the past year, I need a boost from jumper breeders).

Any registry is fine, as is fresh or frozen.
    Last edited by rodawn; Nov. 10, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Le Primeur ? They are standing him again to the public but you would have to either pick up semen or take your mare there to be bred. I am not sure if he has jumped to GP but if he hasn't I am fairly certain that is not for lack of ability. He has offspring that compete internationally in both Grand Prix dressage and jumping. The one girl that was riding him when Albert was away told me that he is fantastic to ride and that she always rides him last because after riding him everything else feels like crap lol. Anyways, I am no jumper breeder so take my advice for what it's worth but I think he is a stallion we are lucky to have here.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree he is a lovely stallion with nice scores, but having seen him in person, I don't think he really suits this particular mare.

I am wondering about Cassini II as I read the Cassini brothers can be a bit heavy in type, so if they would do well with a TB?

Also wondering if anyone has any offspring by the BWP stallion, Eldorado van de Zeshoek (Clinton-Toulon[v.Heartbreaker]-Calypso III)? Holsteiner mareline 2581.

I really like Apiro. He has some lovely foals. You might want to check him out to see if he would work well with your mare. Good Luck! ����
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Mezcalero. He has sired a GP horse out of a TB mare, I believe his name is Apache.

1 members found this post helpful.

I second the Mezcalero suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    Le Primeur ? They are standing him again to the public but you would have to either pick up semen or take your mare there to be bred. I am not sure if he has jumped to GP but if he hasn't I am fairly certain that is not for lack of ability. He has offspring that compete internationally in both Grand Prix dressage and jumping. The one girl that was riding him when Albert was away told me that he is fantastic to ride and that she always rides him last because after riding him everything else feels like crap lol. Anyways, I am no jumper breeder so take my advice for what it's worth but I think he is a stallion we are lucky to have here.
    I did not know he has kids doing dressage at that level? In Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by stoicfish View Post
    I did not know he has kids doing dressage at that level? In Canada?
    I don't think in Canada. One of his offspring in Alberta is a successful GP jumper by the name of Little Milton but I think most of his older offspring are in Europe. I know one is a GP dressage horse owned/ridden by Ingrid Klimke ..his name is Liostro and he has been scoring in the mid 70's his first year out at GP.

According to the 2011 stallion book he has already 4 S level dressage horses and 16 S level jumpers.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I have seen Milton, nice boy. Of course Lougheed, who did well in dressage in his test (as well as Labiat). LP, himself has great movement but I wondered if you could pass it on. You were going to try him, did you ever?

Thank you for the suggestions, I will look at Mezcalaro and add him to the list I need to wittle down. Good thing I have all winter to make my decision!

Please take a look at our Tacorde he has everything you ask for. He is a competitive Grand Prix stallion with great legs a very good lion connection and loves his job! One of his offspring was inspected this fall by the Canadian Warmblood National Inspection tour (they use European judges for this tour) and she was the highest scoring mare in Canada with a perfect 10 for her scope! She is also very beautiful bay with three whites and a huge belly spot very much a jumper type. See him on both our website www.kvf.ca and Facebook http://www.facebook.com/KlondikeVictoryFarm?ref=stream
    He's also in Alberta available both fresh and frozen and offered at $1,500 LFG or $500 per dose. Lorrie

I would look at C.Quito. Yes, he does the Hunter Derbies, because that is what his owner wants him to do, and he has the attitude for it. But that horse can jump out of his skin from a canter. We have a colt by him, TB dam, that is very, very nice. I swear he doesn't touch the ground with his front end.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

What about Bon Balou? He won the jumping portion of the 70DT at Silver Creek with two 10s in jumping - I believe one for free-jump, and one for stadium jumping under the guest riders. And there is lots to like in his pedigree, too - Balou du Rouet / Argentinus / Landadel / Grannus.

And there is also Bliss MF, who was reserve champion in jumping, and overall reserve champion at the same SPT as Bon Balou (scoring a 10 for free-jumping in the process). He is Balou du Rouet / Argentinus / Pik Trumpf (Pik Koenig) / Lord Beri xx).

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    I would look at C.Quito. Yes, he does the Hunter Derbies, because that is what his owner wants him to do, and he has the attitude for it. But that horse can jump out of his skin from a canter. We have a colt by him, TB dam, that is very, very nice. I swear he doesn't touch the ground with his front end.
    Heard lots of great things about C. Quito babies. Also what about Cunningham? He has a full sister who is a GP jumper.

I have bred two Landkoenig fillies out of TB mares and two Balou fillies out of TB mares. While all four are certainly individuals the Landkoenig's seem to be a bit more laid back while the Balou's are more sharp. All four are wonderful to work with but I will say one Balou filly definitely would rather be a one person girl (lucky for her she found her perfect forever home!). At the OldNA/ISR inspection the judge commented that the Balou TB cross is not for the faint of heart but is "outstanding for it's ability in jumping", from what I've seen of my girls over poles, I agree. They stop you in your tracks when they move and jump. Since the top two jumping scores at the 70 test were both Balou sons there is no argument that they can JUMP!

My Landkoenig's are more bold, I can see where the offspring get their reputation as amateur friendly b/c they are very social, people oriented, and straight forward. Landkoenig's son Lantinus has been #1 in the FEI word rank and his performance achievements are impressive.

The first two pics are the 2011 Balou girls & the second two are the 2010 Landkoenig's. I'm happy to post pics of the mares if you'd like.

Good luck, picking stallions is such fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	37174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0975.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	37175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0639.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	196.9 KB 
ID:	37176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8439.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	37177  
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

Your list of wants just absolutely described the Caretino son, Carracci. He is very strongly coupled, great neck, good legs and feet and proven both in the ring and in the shed.
    Here is a video of him being ridden by his then 12 yr old owner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Od16cSjhc

A video of a daughter by him named China Blue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOE4UZlrbVA

He has a fabulous canter, stellar rideability and was handled exclusively by his young rider when they were showing on circuit. He's just recently become available to the public. I jumped at the opportunity and put two German Holsteiner mares to him this year. Semen is rocket fuel. I found his management to be very professional and breeding went very smoothly which is of great importance to me. He is Approved Holsteiner Verband and just recently sBs which has reciprocity with BWP, BWP-NA and Z.

Best of luck!
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Bon Balou. I saw him at the 70DT, my mare is in foal to him. W-O-W. I have always wanted to breed to Balou but didn't want to try frozen my first time out- after two unsuccessful attempts with another stallion, we switched to Bon Balou and boom, she caught. She is refined, and granted, I do the hunters, but I'm hoping for a derby prospect (who isn't?) and she needs a little oomph added to her hind end. Best of all Bon Balou is a total puppy dog, and I take to that personality. Good Luck!

I've seen offspring of Languster, and they were absolutely amazing. Both (a mare and a gelding) are taller than their sire, i.e., 17+, with super conformation.

http://www.shelbournefarm.com/languster.html

Possibly a bit out of the box, but how about Hirtentanz?

Look for Darco stallions and Cassini 1 stallions.......

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions