The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplements for Mare

I have a 6 year old WB that is horrible at feeding time & lacks focus sometimes when I am riding/showing her. She isn't really hyper or nervous just over reacts sometimes & lacks focus. Does anybody have any ideas on herbal treatments or products that would help her.

I wouldn't really bother with a supplement since this is really a training issue. I would ride her at feeding time every day until she learns that she doesn't always get her feed when everyone else does. Lots of horses get anxious/distracted when ridden during feeding time but eventually they have to grow up and get past that.

Raspberry leaves. It is the main ingredient in Mare Magic and far cheaper as you can buy them from a health food store online in bulk for something like $8.99 for 5 lbs.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by pwrpfflynn View Post
    I have a 6 year old WB that is horrible at feeding time & lacks focus sometimes when I am riding/showing her. She isn't really hyper or nervous just over reacts sometimes & lacks focus. Does anybody have any ideas on herbal treatments or products that would help her.

This is a 6 year old horse. Mentally she is still very immature. My best suggestion is to not worry about it and focus on the training and providing solid, confident rides. Supplements and herbal treatments are a crutch at this point since you have not determined if the horse is fully mature.

I figure most horses are not mentally mature until they are around 10, with competent and consistent training/riding.

1 members found this post helpful.

All the above about training is obviously true, and helpful, but I had a mare with focus/attitude problems that were hugely and noticeably helped by Magnesium supplements. It took the edge off, and helped immensely in training.

The one she responded the best to was MagRestore, which is supposed to be more bioavailable or something. I don't know, but it worked.

Good luck!