The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Easily removed Personalization? Crate covers. Calling Crafty COTHers

I made a couple dog crate covers for two awesome friends. I did not embroider their pups' names because the covers will outlast the dogs.

Is there a way to have an easily removed name? An applique? Patch? Probably by hand (no sewing machine at my house).

I wanna throw paws and names on there just so I can keep playing with the covers. I wish I had more covers to make. It was fun!

Thanks, COTHers. Gift giving is here! While we're talking about that, any cute dog gift wrapping ideas? Any gift ideas at all? Googling 'gift wrap ideas' for inspiration has been surprisingly underwhelming; may be just as well since I have champagne tastes on a beer budget.
    Last edited by Bicoastal; Nov. 13, 2012 at 04:11 PM.

Velcro patch, think military uniforms!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Iron on (or whip stitch) some pre-fabricated letters onto a separate piece of material to make a badge then velcro the badge to the cover -- you could always make another badge at the point in the future when a different dog would be using the crate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    I made a couple dog crate covers for two awesome friends. I did not embroider their pups' names because the covers will outlast the dogs.

Is there a way to have an easily removed name? An applique? Patch? Probably by hand (no sewing machine at my house).

I wanna throw paws and names on there just so I can keep playing with the covers. I wish I had more covers to make. It was fun!

Thanks, COTHers. Gift giving is here! While we're talking about that, any cute dog gift wrapping ideas? Any gift ideas at all? Googling 'gift wrap ideas' for inspiration has been surprisingly underwhelming; may be just as well since I have champagne tastes on a beer budget.
    Maybe something that can be pinned on? Like a charm? If you're worried about the dog sticking themselves on the pin (which would be hard), maybe attach some sort of loop to the crate cover and any hanging tag can go onto the loop?

I like that kind of idea because when we go to dog shows we sometimes switch around which dog will go where....would be nice to be able to switch the tags instead of the covers or the crates.

For wrapping ideas, i pick a few colors and stick with a theme. Red, gold, silver, green.... (i only do one or two colors per package, but just because I'm selectively neurotic like that) and buy loads of cheap ribbons in those colors. I also go to craft stores and buy cheap ornaments. They have a lot for those desktop mini Christmas trees and they're easy to color coordinate the wrapping paper, plus they're smaller. Bells are always fun. I tie them into the ribbons as a little bonus treat.
    You could also tie on little metal cookie cutters instead. A dog bone shaped cutter for a dog lover, for example. It's best to buy all this stuff after Christmas, of course, but i don't use up all the ribbons or ornaments anyway, so i have some left over from last year.
    Dog paw stamps on brown paper makes a cute wrapper. Cut a tag out in a bone shape, or fashion it like a dog id tag.
    You can also look around craft stores and find less typical holders for gift basket presentation. When I graduated from UGA (Go Dawgs!) I gave my family members from out of town (all dog owners) little gift baskets in their hotel rooms. Here are two of them.
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...830_5469_n.jpg
    They had dog bowls I had painted with "Go Dawgs, sic em! Woof woof woof woof" and had gourmet dog treats, dog toys and mini bottles and chocolates for the humans. It was fun putting them together!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Velcro patch, think military uniforms!
    Good idea. Think the velcro will look neat and stay stable? Obviously it'll encounter lots of dog hair . I'm envisioning the patch edges/corners standing off the fabric or curling.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    Iron on (or whip stitch) some pre-fabricated letters onto a separate piece of material to make a badge then velcro the badge to the cover
    Sewing a patch. Check. Velcro on the patch...easy and good idea. I'm a bit worried the edges of the patches won't lay flat or the velcro may shift or lose effectiveness.

Is whipstitching the patch directly onto the cover a bad idea because it requires the owner to cut away the patch?
    And that's pretty heartless...

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    For wrapping ideas, i pick a few colors and stick with a theme. Red, gold, silver, green.... (i only do one or two colors per package, but just because I'm selectively neurotic like that) and buy loads of cheap ribbons in those colors. I also go to craft stores and buy cheap ornaments. They have a lot for those desktop mini Christmas trees and they're easy to color coordinate the wrapping paper, plus they're smaller. Bells are always fun. I tie them into the ribbons as a little bonus treat.
    You could also tie on little metal cookie cutters instead. A dog bone shaped cutter for a dog lover, for example. It's best to buy all this stuff after Christmas, of course...
    Good idea sticking with a few colors. I'm going to check out the dollar store and Michaels after Thanksgiving.

I made the covers at my aunt's house who quilts, makes clothing, etc. She also has approx. 75 rolls of gift wrap ribbon So jealous. Plus tools to make bows Don't know why or how about the bow making but I'm still jealous. Hehe.