The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question on Group Lessons

Hi,

Just a quick question how long would you expect a group lesson that has 2-5 people in it to last?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    Hi,

Just a quick question how long would you expect a group lesson that has 2-5 people in it to last?

Thanks
    45-60 minutes, depending on what you are working on?

When I was in group lessons they always lasted an hour. For little kids I would expect 30ish minutes for the shorter attention spans.

Thanks for replying. I'm use to taking private lessons, so I wasn't sure how long group lessons typically last.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    45-60 minutes, depending on what you are working on?
    It would be a group jumping lesson which supposedly lasts an hour. Does that seem right? I mean 15-20mins warm up only leaves 40mins to jump divided by 5 people means each person only jumps for 8mins.

Mine was 2 hours. Once monthly we have a trainer come in, and she does several groups (depending on horse level). The greenie group was about 1.5 hours and had 2 horses, where the meter jumper group had 4 and lasted 2 hours.

I think if its a "weekly" lesson with the same trainer and same group, I'd estimate about an hour for 3-4 horses max. Warmup jumps can be done together (youshouldnt have to stand and wait for one person to jump...just space yourself out), and get on early to warm the horses up so your flat schooling isnt just warmup stuff.

In our lessons, we all do flat and warmup jumps at the same time. Then, do some small grids or exercises together. The last 40 minutes or so, we each do a course twice. I find this is plenty enough work for the horses AND riders

1 members found this post helpful.

They're usually around an hour.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Thanks for the information. I've just never done group lessons, so I wasn't sure if an hour was normal. I've done clinics which had around 5 people in them and they lasted 2 hours.

It would be a group jumping lesson which supposedly lasts an hour. Does that seem right? I mean 15-20mins warm up only leaves 40mins to jump divided by 5 people means each person only jumps for 8mins.
    They are usually an hour and don't expect to spend 40 minutes jumping. In my experience, a lot of hour group lessons are half flat and half jumping. Also 8 minutes jumping is more than it sounds like. You warm up over singles and may not be jumping long full courses. It only takes someone thirty seconds to pop over a little crossrail.

Are you sure the warmup is part of the lesson? Some trainers expect the rider to warm up before the lesson.

Groups are 1 hour where I'm at. We warm ourselves up so it's a genuine hour of lessoning. My trainer's great at keeping everyone going and making sure everyone gets enough chances at the course we're working on.

I always taught group lessons for an hour, but I never scheduled them back to back, so that we had the flexibility to go over if we needed too - and they usually stretched out longer. For Advanced riders, I asked that they warmed up before the lesson, for beginners, the warm up was part of the group lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    They are usually an hour and don't expect to spend 40 minutes jumping. In my experience, a lot of hour group lessons are half flat and half jumping. Also 8 minutes jumping is more than it sounds like. You warm up over singles and may not be jumping long full courses. It only takes someone thirty seconds to pop over a little crossrail.
    Not to mention that hopefully, OP is paying attention to the other riders and learning from their experiences as well. You can pick up a lot in a group, and not always from your riding.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

5 members found this post helpful.

If we have a lesson with three people doing flat, it's 45 minutes. If there are more than three people, or if there is jumping, it's an hour.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Most trainers won't put five in a group—our trainer typically does privates or semi-privates, but there's a group of four of us who like to ride together. We typically flat on our own for about 10 minutes, and then jump so, 12.5 minutes of jumping for each person. How much do you need? Even if you're doing full courses, 8 minutes at 2 minutes per course is four courses. We very rarely jump a course more than twice in our lessons.

Our group lessons are usually 3, max 4.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Our group lessons are about an hour. We average 2 or 3 to a lesson, so we are usually right on time. If the lesson is larger (usually not more than 4, but they can sometimes be a bit bigger) and/or we are working on something, it might go a bit longer. Our lessons are approximately half flatwork, half jumping, and our warm up is included in the lesson. If we are doing coursework, we can each get in about three courses, plus warm up jumps. I don't think I have ever felt short-changed in the amount of jumping I've done, even in the larger lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Most trainers won't put five in a group—our trainer typically does privates or semi-privates, but there's a group of four of us who like to ride together. We typically flat on our own for about 10 minutes, and then jump so, 12.5 minutes of jumping for each person. How much do you need? Even if you're doing full courses, 8 minutes at 2 minutes per course is four courses. We very rarely jump a course more than twice in our lessons.
    I think it also depends on the facility. If OP is in a lesson program, 5 in a lesson is not at all uncommon.

Most group lessons run about an hour. When there are only 2 in my group/time slot, we get a lot more jumping in and then the lesson may end up only 45-50 minutes. Even with 4-5 people and the first 20-30 minutes spent on the flat, I feel like an hour is plenty of time.

When I was at more of a lesson barn and there were like 6-8 in a lesson, it ran around an hour and a half. Those were very basic lessons though, at that point I wasn't even jumping.

Now though my lessons have a max of three, usually two, and run around an hour give or take, depending on how things are going. If they're going really well, we may end early. If they're going bad, they usually run over