The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New orleans

What is the racing scene like down in New Orleans and the surrounding areas? I am moving down there and would like to be an exercise jockey. Willing to travel across the lake. Feel free to PM me as well! Thanks

Have you galloped on the track before?

nope, not yet. It is something I have always wanted to do and I think I would be really good at it. There aren't any tracks or barns around where I live so I haven't gotten the chance. From what I understand there is a pretty good scene on the North Shore?

Well, the winter meet at Fair Grounds starts November 22 and goes through the end of March (I believe).

http://www.fairgroundsracecourse.com/
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

The problem is that you have no galloping experience, the horses at that meet are fit, no babies untill the spring. I can honestly tell you that no matter what kind of rider you are, or how fit you think you are, the fit racehorse will humble you.

I have no idea what if any your track experience is like, but I would go in looking for a groom position, or as a hotwalker. Learn the ropes first, find a trainer that is willing to take the time to teach you, as well as an experienced excersise rider.

There are some farms in the surrounding areas, you might also want to check with them.

I am more interested in working with a breeding/training farm to help break babies and train them and gallop/exercise them. I don't want to gallop at the track, necessarily. I wasn't aware there was a difference in the term usage?

I just assumed when talking about New Orleans you were asking about the Fair Grounds...usually people that gallop racehorses are called excersise riders or gallop girls, boys. Jockeys, are Jockeys.

The farm is the best place to learn, TB babies are a different breed though, be tied on!

I would check this farm out: http://www.elitethoroughbreds.com/about-us.shtml

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh wonderful! That's exactly the type of farm I am looking for thanks for your help! Exercise rider is what I mean!

Elite is just one of many that are in the Fair Grounds (New Orleans) area. Go to Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Associations web site and then to the Breeding tap and then look for the farm listings. They are listed by area so all of the NO area farms will be grouped together. This would be the time to look as a lot of babies are going to the farms to be started. Good luck! You'll enjoy NO.

what a great resouce! And thanks...i'm really excited. i wish time would move faster so I can move there sooner!