The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Here's a story for you. Someone took my (big) grain bin.

Ten minutes before we leave for my grandfather's funeral yesterday my mother in law calls out that "there is a flatbed and a crane in your backyard." I look out the bathroom window and sure enough, they are parked by the bins and walking into one of them.

I'm rushing to get myself dressed, can't find my shoes, still am not happy with the ending of the eulogy I'm giving at the funeral and now am bowled over that someone has the balls to come on the property and not even come up to the house to announce their presence. I tell my husband, I cannot deal with this right now, go see what they want.

So he goes out there and they say they are taking the good bin (but not the bad one because Mark (whoever that is, since no one bothered to call and see if it was a good day to come) doesn't want that one. Now when we bought the place we were told that the bins were sold, but only if he came and got them by August 31st (that was their agreement she said) because he had a year to get them and that's when the year expired, or something along those lines--well it is November. We closed September 6th. I don't WANT the bins, but the good one was worth a little money, I just hadn't gotten around to trying to sell it yet.

I didn't know if I should call the police, I didn't know if this is the same person who bought them before or a new one--as it wasn't in our purchase agreement, all I knew is I had 30 seconds to get my butt out the door to go bury my grandpa.

So I do nothing and leave. I didn't have time, and I probably would have done something I would have regretted, because I was already completely emotional (I can't even quite describe how I was feeling at that moment) but I flipped into a rage rather quickly. What utter gal people have! What if my dogs were loose on the farm? What if they got injured--am I liable? I'm pretty sure the power is still connected. We were obviously home and they couldn't come to the door? I think that is what chaps me the most--no phone call, just come trespass on my property and take what you want and leave the mess for me.

In the car I'm thinking of all the things I should have done if I'd had my head on straight and some time.

Got done with the service and the grave is in the country--close to the house, so I had my husband drive by on our way back to the reception and they were already gone with the bin. Left rotton corn, some loose, sharp tin, and the big auger of course. I still don't even know who they were.

So now I just have one, crappy bin left.
    Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; Nov. 26, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sorry about your grandfather.
    And sorry you got what appears to me to be a Country Welcome to your farm.

Seller probably told Binbuyer he could come anytime to pick up "his" bins.
    A Country Year might be more than 12 months depending on how fast Binbuyer could get it together to get the bin he wanted.
    In his (Mark's?) mind he probably did you a favor leaving one of "his" purchases.

Out here mailboxes are all set on one side of the road for houses on both sides.
    When I moved in I mistakenly put my house number & name on the "good" mailbox and came out a day later to find it ripped off and another name scrawled on that box in Sharpie.
    Asking around I determined I had taken across-the-road neighbor's box by mistake.
    I left a note apologizing for the mistake and we ended up friendly.

People here do a lot of trading/bartering for stuff that often remains in the tradees hands for some time.
    Everyone considers the deal done and the stuff the property of the new owner no matter where it resides.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

DH pulled one of those once. The guy sold him some trusses and told him they'd be fine there till he came and picked them up. Well they were a bit big and DH didn't have time to figure out how to get them home so a few months went by, and lo and behold the trusses DH had paid cash money for were back up for sale on CL. Since DH now conveniently had the guy's number again he called and went down there within the week with a trailer, gen set and saw and cut the trusses in half, then plonked them on the trailer and got them home (where they have been sitting doing nothing since then). But the guy did say they'd be fine there and DH took him at his word.

Very sorry about your grandfather.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I think you would have been well within your rights to tell them to get the F off your property now (with or without the help of 911) and you'll get back with them after your grandfather's funeral and when everyone figures out that it's not August 31st any more.

It's harder once they have the sucker in their possession.

I hope it works out for you, but don't lose your mind over a grain bin.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I think you would have been well within your rights to tell them to get the F off your property now (with or without the help of 911) and you'll get back with them after your grandfather's funeral and when everyone figures out that it's not August 31st any more.

It's harder once they have the sucker in their possession.

I hope it works out for you, but don't lose your mind over a grain bin.
    I'm over it.

It was just such a weird, twilight-zone moment for me. I felt violated. Obviously, horrid timing, but it freaked me out a bit that someone would come on the property and just take something without even knocking on the door to let us know they were there.

They sure were fast though.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Weird. But there are jokes about time-dilation among HOs, country hayseeds and folks with dark skin.

You just ran into one of these weird pockets of the universe. Glad you are tolerant about it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Condolences on your grandfather.

Well at least the acquirers had some sort of vague claim to that grain bin.

My first wife and I had closed on the property that in addition to us became home to her horses once it was fenced in January. Around April, the husband half of the former owners turned up one Saturday with a flatbed truck, dressed like Indiana Jones and announced that he wanted to get the metal walk-in utility storage building in our back yard. The building was set on a 10x12' concrete pad and held in place with bolts as well as cables.

I looked at him dumbfounded -- the deed and NC law was very clear about outbuildings and items connected to permanent structures -- and for lack of a place to begin while remaining polite said, "We keep out garden tractor in there."

Then when he continued to stand there expectantly, I added, it's part of the property we bought from you and Kathy. You're welcome to anything that you left that is not nailed down. (He was a drainage contractor and had left some drain conduit and connectors of no use to us.)

He said, "Well, I just thought I'd ask."

From what neighbors told us he was used to bullying people and it worked often enough for him that he bluffed whenever he could. If one of us hadn't been home, I genuinely wonder if he would have just taken it.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein